Schooner Yacht America Mamoli MV26 1:66

This Build Log Section is for Wood Ships. Enter your Build Log here. It is advisable for others to follow your Build Log to start your post such as "Build Log: HMS Ship name"
mojofilter
Seaman
Seaman

Re: Schooner Yacht America Mamoli MV26 1:66

Postby mojofilter » Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:51 pm

Well, that's actually the question. The rudder was long enough to penetrate the aft end of the cockpit but its location was aft of the cockpit wall, so it ended up just under the deck behind (aft of) the cockpit. I've looked at a lot of America builds and none look like the tiller is attached to the actual rudder - most have the tiller just glued to the seat at the rear of the cockpit. It would be a point of interest to know exactly how it was originally arranged.
I think I will gently brush to copper plates and the spray them with lacquer, both to stabilize the oxidation but more to kinda hold the sharp corners in place on the triangular plates.

- Tim
T. Roberts
popeye
Master Chief Petty Officer
Master Chief Petty Officer

Postby popeye » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:11 pm

I haven't really looked into it, but if the rudder was long enough to protrude the deck, I would imagine the manufacturer would have made a
hole there. they have a nasty habit of leaving thing out. that's going to bug me until I check it out, you know ;) that's the fun part of this hobby though.......finding out the way things work on these vessels. it really doesn't matter what kit it is......there will always be an element of bash
finished builds:
Nordkap 476 / Cux 87 / Gundalow
Mary Ann / Susan A. / M&M fun ship
Phylly C & Denny-Zen / AmericA
Andrea Gail

in cue:
Gothenborg
Half Moon
Boulogne Etaples
trawler Syborn
U.S.S. United States
Holiday Harbor
Titanic
mojofilter
Seaman
Seaman

Postby mojofilter » Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:26 pm

So I figure I'm about half way through the 'America' build, so I ordered Mantua Sergal Cutty Sark (Art. 789). It arrived last night (FedEx 9:30 !?!). Opened it this morning and Holy Smokes!! It's huge! Gonna have to find a place to put it - new wing on the house?
I'm going to start a new build log for her but right away but I probably won't accomplish much until 'America' is complete.

- Tim
T. Roberts
GaryM
Senoir Chief Petty Officer

Postby GaryM » Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:43 pm

There is a lot of things that I identify on my log about the Cutty kit that are incorrect with the current version. The right parts that used to be included in the old kit can be bought and should be ordered now since it takes a long time to get parts from Mantua. Other items such as the planking deck planking and the planking for the cabin tops can also be order from Mantua. I got the parts from Ages of Sail on a special order. It did take several months (I think 5 or 6 months for mine) for the parts to arrive. You ask them to order them when every they place the next order to Mantua so that you do not have them send the parts by themselves or you will pay a very high shipping cost for a special separate order. If they have a Mantua catalog (possibly cost $10), you might ask them to send you one especially if you are going to build other models by this company.
Happy modeling,
Gary Maple

Problems are just challenges waiting for your solution.

Current build: Sergal Sovereign of the Seas
In Que: Sergal: Cutty Sark and Amerigo Vespucci; Billings Titanic
Completed: Amati: HMS Prince (old 1:78 version); Billings: Norske Love and Vasa; Mantua: La Couronne; Sergal: Mississippi Riverboat and La Soleil Royal
mojofilter
Seaman
Seaman

Postby mojofilter » Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:57 am

Hi Gary -

Think I will start another build log specific to CS. In the mean time, I will read your log looking for these items to order - or if you have a list of them I could order from Age of Sail all at once. Looks like a nice kit so far. I am contemplating using the copper tape again as the copper plates supplied are just about identical to the ones I made with the tape. Additionally, the supplied plates do not look like you can lap them. With the tape I can make them look lapped (only one row of rivets along the top of a 'plate').
I ordered the 3 plan sheets from the Royal Museum Greenwich shop. Plus her log book.
I've got plenty of time to study while I finish America.
Thanks,

- Tim
T. Roberts
GaryM

Postby GaryM » Sat Feb 27, 2016 4:02 pm

This is the link to the parts ordered on page 2 of my log with the part numbers and amount I ordered.
viewtopic.php?f=52&t=669&start=10
Happy modeling,
Gary Maple

Completed: Amati: HMS Prince (old 1:78 version); Billings: Norske Love and Vasa; Mantua: La Couronne; Sergal: Mississippi Riverboat and La Soleil Royal
mojofilter
Seaman
Seaman

Postby mojofilter » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:26 am

Hi Gary,

You mentioned you got a separate sail kit for your CS? My kit did not come with any. That's OK cause I really don't care for the look. But I've seen builds with furrled sails. Do you have any information on doing this?. Thanks, - Tim
T. Roberts
GaryM

Postby GaryM » Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:20 pm

I know that you need to use only about half of the sail length to do the furling sail. If you use all of it the result looks to thick and not neat. Donnie furled sails his model of the Satisima Trinidad and describes how he did it on this site.
Happy modeling,
Gary Maple

Return to “SOS Build Logs from Kits - Wood”