Schooner Yacht America Mamoli MV26 1:66

This Build Log Section is for Wood Ships. Enter your Build Log here. It is advisable for others to follow your Build Log to start your post such as "Build Log: HMS Ship name"

Moderators: Aussie048, zoly99sask

mojofilter
Seaman
Seaman

Schooner Yacht America Mamoli MV26 1:66

Post by mojofilter » Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:42 pm

Hi all -
This is my first post for my Build Log - hope I'm doing it correctly.
I actually began the project a number of years ago. I got as far as planking on bulkhead (inner & outer) and deck planking, before setting her aside. I will study how to get photos correctly sized for upload and bring this log up to date.
At this point, the lower hull is sheathed in copper plate and 'patina' applied (lots of questions about this). Started on deck furniture. Again, photos soon.
One interesting aspect of the Mamoli kit: I built the rudder and applied to hull with hinges - the top of the rudder penetrates the hull but comes through aft of the cockpit; in other words, there is no way the tiller can attach to the top of the rudder(?!?). The cockpit recess in the top of the aft bulkhead pieces dictates where the cockpit goes. Typically, the plans are vague. I guess the tiller post mounting gets faked up at the back of the cockpit.

- Tim
T. Roberts

GaryM
Senoir Chief Petty Officer

Re: Schooner Yacht America Mamoli MV26 1:66

Post by GaryM » Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:02 pm

Hopefully everything is there and you have not lost any important pieces of the model since Mamoli is no longer in business. Once you get some picture on this model, a member might have ideas how to help make things work. This was one of the better model ship companies and I am sure this model will look really great when completed.
Happy modeling,
Gary Maple

Problems are just challenges waiting for your solution.

Current build: Sergal Sovereign of the Seas
In Que: Sergal: Cutty Sark and Amerigo Vespucci; Billings Titanic
Completed: Amati: HMS Prince (old 1:78 version); Billings: Norske Love and Vasa; Mantua: La Couronne; Sergal: Mississippi Riverboat and La Soleil Royal

mojofilter
Seaman
Seaman

Post by mojofilter » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:28 pm

Some photos
Attachments
IMG_2771.jpg
IMG_2771.jpg (99.75 KiB) Viewed 1057 times
IMG_2774.jpg
IMG_2774.jpg (85.27 KiB) Viewed 1057 times
IMG_2781.jpg
IMG_2781.jpg (88.62 KiB) Viewed 1057 times
IMG_2787.jpg
IMG_2787.jpg (99.72 KiB) Viewed 1057 times
IMG_2793.jpg
IMG_2793.jpg (100.11 KiB) Viewed 1057 times
IMG_2794.jpg
IMG_2794.jpg (86.23 KiB) Viewed 1057 times
IMG_2795.jpg
IMG_2795.jpg (82.86 KiB) Viewed 1057 times
T. Roberts

GaryM

Post by GaryM » Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:05 pm

Very nice job. The copper came with the kit or is it an after market product?
Happy modeling,
Gary Maple

Completed: Amati: HMS Prince (old 1:78 version); Billings: Norske Love and Vasa; Mantua: La Couronne; Sergal: Mississippi Riverboat and La Soleil Royal

mojofilter
Seaman
Seaman

Post by mojofilter » Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:35 pm

Hi Gary -

The copper is electrical shielding tape, 0.020" X 1". Self adhesive.
I used a pounce wheel for rivets. and mostly did them three plates wide by about 6" long, filling in with single tapered plates.
The patina is Jax Green Patina. The original kit had 147 million individual wood plates dyed green. You're supposed to glue them on, sand them a little and then paint them with thinned brown paint and wipe off. Wanted to try the real copper in anticipation of future projects. The patina is maybe a little strong right now - it kinda keeps going somehow. I was going to use a light wire brush a little and then spray with lacquer to stop further green (?).
I really don't know what the finished copper should look like. I've read that in sea water, the copper was quite bright. Pictures of models sometimes look almost brown (opinions here?).
Anyway, on to the rest of the deck furniture, then turning of the round things (masts etc.).
More soon.

- Tim
T. Roberts

GaryM

Post by GaryM » Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:05 am

I don't know what the weather copper looks like either as far as intensity of the patina is concerned.
Happy modeling,
Gary Maple

mojofilter
Seaman
Seaman

Post by mojofilter » Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:22 am

Hi Gary -
I think my next build will be a clipper. Haven't decided between Cutty Sark, Flying Fish, Red Jacket, or Thermoplie (sp?). You chose Mantua Cutty Sark. Any reason why that maker over others?

Will your CS have real copper below waterline? Will you leave it shiny?

- Tim
T. Roberts

Donnie
Master Chief Petty Officer

Post by Donnie » Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:23 pm

WoW ! Very impresssive - I really like the coppering on the planking.

Donnie
Current Build: Panart San Felipe 1:75
Completed Build: Santisima Trinidad

Main SOS Site: Ships of Scale Website

"War Ships are safe at harbor, but that is not what they were made for"

GaryM

Post by GaryM » Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:17 pm

II chose Mantua Cutty Sark because I liked it better than any other kit and because I had started it before and was to the point of rigging the model when it was destroyed in a fire. The new kit has been altered but the old parts that were in the previous version are available. I ordered them through Ages of Sail. These I noted on my log. As soon as I finish with the SOS, I will be finishing the Cutty and will point out the things I alter using Cambell plans and Longridge's book.
Happy modeling,
Gary Maple

popeye

Post by popeye » Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:05 pm

looking really good Tim.........I think the patina is alright. lots of folks just let it age naturally. you had a question about the tiller. how long was the shaft on the rudder? does it come up through the deck? I built the Billing's America.....1:72 scale. basically, it fits into a slot at the stern end of the cockpit. that probably would have been a good scale to do a bit of bash work for it, but you already have the rudder in place. I would simply make a slot for it.

I will be doing a 1:65 America soon, using the 1:72 scale instructions as a guide. I came up with an idea for your dilemma......I'll use it for that build.

thanx for making me think ;)

Return to “SOS Build Logs from Kits - Wood”