Mary Ann Billings 1/56

This Build Log Section is for Wood Ships. Enter your Build Log here. It is advisable for others to follow your Build Log to start your post such as "Build Log: HMS Ship name"

Moderator: zoly99sask

popeye
Master Chief Petty Officer
Master Chief Petty Officer

Re: Mary Ann Billings 1/56

Postby popeye » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:05 am

Doug, if your looking to R/C this one.....there is a build log on Model Ship World. either that, or he's building the Cux 87. it makes no difference, because the hulls are the same.

Steve....you did a great job! she's quite a work boat you have there. I've tried to pull off weathering like that...always ended up changing it and cleaning it up. did you change most of the plastic rigging blocks and stuff, or did yours supply them? I know this is an older kit. the newer version that I built didn't have the shields around the pilot house doors......I made short ladders for them. the other thing is the scale.....mine is 1:33. here is the kicker though...the Cux 87 is based on the same hull....either boat can be built off of that hull design. the instructions I have on the Cux lists it at 1:30 scale, but you can see it on the Billing USA website at 1:33 scale. I seriously wonder if they even know the scale they make these kits at :lol: :lol: :lol:

Very nice model my friend!
finished builds:
Nordkap 476 / Cux 87 / Gundalow
Mary Ann / Susan A. / M&M fun ship
Phylly C & Denny-Zen / AmericA
Andrea Gail

in cue:
Gothenborg
Half Moon
Boulogne Etaples
trawler Syborn
U.S.S. United States
Holiday Harbor
Titanic
DougW
Seaman
Seaman

Postby DougW » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:35 am

popeye wrote:Doug, if your looking to R/C this one.....there is a build log on Model Ship World. either that, or he's building the Cux 87. it makes no difference, because the hulls are the same.

Popeye -- I don't mean to hijack this thread but your history show a lot of Billings' experience. I am not really interested in R/C anymore but I am thinking of a trawler or a seiner. How do you like the Billings kits? They seem a step higher in price.
What I would really like to find are plans for a pacific coast purse seiner having been raised in Seattle.
Doug
fragle123
Petty Officer Second Class
Petty Officer Second Class

Postby fragle123 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:04 am

popeye wrote:Steve....you did a great job! she's quite a work boat you have there. I've tried to pull off weathering like that...always ended up changing it and cleaning it up. did you change most of the plastic rigging blocks and stuff, or did yours supply them? I know this is an older kit. the newer version that I built didn't have the shields around the pilot house doors......I made short ladders for them. the other thing is the scale.....mine is 1:33. here is the kicker though...the Cux 87 is based on the same hull....either boat can be built off of that hull design. the instructions I have on the Cux lists it at 1:30 scale, but you can see it on the Billing USA website at 1:33 scale. I seriously wonder if they even know the scale they make these kits at :lol: :lol: :lol:

Very nice model my friend!

Hi popeye
Thank you that was the first time i have ever done any kind of weathering and was pleased with the overall results after 4/5 attempts at it, the kit came with the wooden blocks and all the extra things you can see on the model i scratch built myself including the shields around the doors.Regarding the scale well on the advertised kit that i bought it is shown as 1/56 now the real ships usually were between 50 to 60 feet in length with the average around 55 feet so what that scales down to i dont know.
cheers
steve

Return to “SOS Build Logs from Kits - Wood”