Mary Ann Billings 1/56

This Build Log Section is for Wood Ships. Enter your Build Log here. It is advisable for others to follow your Build Log to start your post such as "Build Log: HMS Ship name"
fragle123
Petty Officer Second Class

Mary Ann Billings 1/56

Postby fragle123 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:45 am

I thought i would start a build log of my first ever wooden ship build a few years back, i chose this kit because it was a reasonable price so if i made a mess of it i would not lose to much and also because i am familiar with this type of fishing vessel being raised on them from being a boy and i also wanted to attempt to change it to look like a vessel that i also worked on in the 80's.
Here are a few pics of the ship i wanted to represent
cheers steve
fragle123

Re: Mary Ann Billings 1/56

Postby fragle123 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:11 am

I'm starting with the box art just to show how the model was meant to look
I started by constructing the false keel and bulkheads and making myself a jig to hold it in, having never done a build before i looked around the web for hints and tips to help me along
once i had put the false deck in place this also made the bulkheads more rigid and quickly realised this is a good quality kit with easy to follow instructions
cheers steve
GaryM
Senoir Chief Petty Officer
Senoir Chief Petty Officer

Postby GaryM » Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:39 pm

Looks like the kit is pretty close to the real one you showed. Glad the instructions are good. I have built 2 Billings kits which was my first wooden models decades ago. they make nice looking vessel. Welcome to this great hobby.
Happy modeling,
Gary Maple

Problems are just challenges waiting for your solution.

Current build: Sergal Sovereign of the Seas
In Que: Sergal: Cutty Sark and Amerigo Vespucci; Billings Titanic
Completed: Amati: HMS Prince (old 1:78 version); Billings: Norske Love and Vasa; Mantua: La Couronne; Sergal: Mississippi Riverboat and La Soleil Royal
fragle123

Postby fragle123 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:08 am

Hi Gary
That was my first thought when i first saw the kit and i had heard billings were good kits i cant believe that was nearly 4 years ago, the next thing i did was have a look at the winch and saw it was a twin drum trawl winch which would need to be changed,this would be my first ever attempt at scratch building so i hoped i could do it.
once i had altered the things i needed to i then put it all together and painted it and weathered it a little another first.
in the end i was quite pleased with how it turned out.
cheers steve
fragle123

Postby fragle123 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:04 pm

Here are a few photo's of when i started to do the planking soaking them in warm water made it easier for me to bend them.
cheers steve
fragle123

Postby fragle123 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:25 pm

The laser cut parts in the kit were good there was nothing warped and they were clearly marked out on the wood, in hind site i should taken a bit more time with the fairing of the bulkheads as well and also when fitting the planks. Having said that i did not want a perfect finish to the planking because like on the real ship's each of the planks can be clearly seen so when i sanded the hull they would still be obvious.
cheers steve
Sgtmik

Postby Sgtmik » Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:03 pm

I, also have only built one wooden ship. Now I'm hooked.
This one looks like the one you showed in the beginning. It looks like allot of fun. Good luck. :music-rockout:
Regards
Mike

Current Builds : HMAV Bounty
Caravel Santa Maria
Completed builds: HMS Bounty's Jolly Boat
H.M. Bark Endeavour
Builds in Cue: H.M.S. Endeavour's Long Boat
U.S.S. Constitution
fragle123

Postby fragle123 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:14 pm

Once the hull was planked i used some filler then sanded the hull, the kit give's you pre cut former's for the hull from the deck level up which i decided not to use and instead used more of the hull planks as there was plenty.
cheers steve
fragle123

Postby fragle123 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:50 pm

Hi Mike yes she was fun to build really enjoyed it and learned quite alot from the experience and it's my intention in a couple more years to scratch build a larger version of another one of the ships i sailed on.I find this a great hobby and a good way to relax and forget about all my worries and stress of life, hours seem to pass like minutes to me anyway :D .
So the next thing i did was to start constructing the wheelhouse and thinking about how the exhaust is going to look as i did not want to leave it brass, for the window frames i bought some plasti card and cut this into thin strips as it would be easier than trying to trim wood for them and i also needed to bend the front of the wheelhouse and the plasti card would be easier for this as well.
For the exhaust i used some silver paint that when dried made it look like the exhaust was aluminium and then the next thing was to show the soot marks and so after borrowing the wife's makeup pencil i got the effect i was looking for.
cheers steve
popeye
Master Chief Petty Officer
Master Chief Petty Officer

Postby popeye » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:53 pm

wow Steve.......looks really good :) I've built the Mary Ann before......had a lot of fun with it. the boat you showed though made me think of the Norden, another Billing kit. the net winch threw me off......in the kit, the winch is configured differently. you did quite well though in altering it to look like the one in the picture. I also redid the pilot house giving it larger windows and opening doors. that's the beauty of these kits, they're an open book.......you can do anything with 'em

http://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/viewt ... ?f=52&t=30

feel free to use anything that strikes your fancy :)
finished builds:
Nordkap 476 / Cux 87 / Gundalow
Mary Ann / Susan A. / M&M fun ship
Phylly C & Denny-Zen / AmericA
Andrea Gail

in cue:
Gothenborg
Half Moon
Boulogne Etaples
trawler Syborn
U.S.S. United States
Holiday Harbor