Swift 1805 - Artesania Latina 1/50

This Build Log Section is for Wood Ships. Enter your Build Log here. It is advisable for others to follow your Build Log to start your post such as "Build Log: HMS Ship name"

Moderators: Aussie048, zoly99sask

buffie
Seaman Apprentice
Seaman Apprentice

Swift 1805 - Artesania Latina 1/50

Postby buffie » Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:56 am

Hi I have started with my first model this year round February, and would love to get some feedback on my progress.
I started with the Swift 1805 - (Artesania Latina) and I have now reached the stage where I had to expand on my limited set of tools! So far I have used only my hands, glu and one or two different wood cutters. I am proud to say I have just bought a Dremel 200 series to complete my model in style. :D

Can someone point me in the right direction to add some pictures?

Thanks
Attachments
swift1.jpg
My first planking
swift1.jpg (94.98 KiB) Viewed 1570 times
swift2.jpg
swift2.jpg (113.32 KiB) Viewed 1570 times
swift3.jpg
My version of wood bending
swift3.jpg (56.13 KiB) Viewed 1570 times
swift4.jpg
swift4.jpg (307.75 KiB) Viewed 1570 times
swift5.jpg
swift5.jpg (335.95 KiB) Viewed 1570 times
swift6.jpg
swift6.jpg (144 KiB) Viewed 1570 times
swift7.jpg
swift7.jpg (87.56 KiB) Viewed 1570 times
swift8.jpg
swift8.jpg (63.55 KiB) Viewed 1570 times
swift9.jpg
At this stage I realized I can bend wood with water and a hair dryer. Before planking obviously.
swift9.jpg (338.79 KiB) Viewed 1570 times
swift10.jpg
swift10.jpg (92.86 KiB) Viewed 1570 times
swift11.jpg
swift11.jpg (166.2 KiB) Viewed 1570 times
swift12.jpg
swift12.jpg (229.56 KiB) Viewed 1570 times
Donnie
Master Chief Petty Officer

Re: Swift 1805 - Artesania Latina 1/50

Postby Donnie » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:33 am

Buffie,

:handgestures-thumbup:

Looks like you are well on your way to making post like a professional and also building a ship like one too !!!

If you do not mind, I would like to make a small suggestion (you might already know this). On those sharp bends at the bow or even stern sometimes, I would suggest soaking the planks in hot water for a while (10 min or so) and flexing them into shape. This way the planks will less likely to fray and splinter. I usually let the water in the sink run on very hot while I allow the water run over the plank (especially where the bend needs to be). I remove the plank from water, take my fingers and curve the wood a little at a time, and back to the water again. Then while the plank has a bend in it, I can cheat by taking a hair dryer and drying it in place. I have heard of using alcohol, but never done this.

then you have some tools out there that can do this: A plank bender. Now, they make a plier type of tool that will assist in bending. It has an odd shape at the tip that compresses the plank into a bend.

At any rate, Your planking and nailing is really good. Is this a single plank or a double plank?

Donnie
Current Build Prep: Panart San Felipe 1:75
Completed Build: Santisima Trinidad

Main SOS Site: Ships of Scale Website

No Guts, No Glory !
buffie
Seaman Apprentice
Seaman Apprentice

Postby buffie » Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:10 pm

Hi, Donnie

Thanks! I think I might take a bit longer than usual because I can be very meticulous when I take on projects like these. Thanks for the advice , I must say that the hot water and hair dryer makes it much easyer to bend the wood, unfortunately I finished planking my deck before I realized I still need to bend the deck. The glu I use would not have hold when submerged in water.

The Hull is double planking, I am about to start with my second layer of planking.

Buffie
popeye

Postby popeye » Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:04 am

another thing that I saw is that the bulkheads could have used a bit more faring. I use a dry wall sander...cover three or more bulkheads at a time. as the progression goes to the bow or stern, I try to keep covering that many bulkheads...more if possible. back and fourth.....I try to go from bow to stern with a single stroke. use the sound you'll hear as a barometer.......it will lessen as you go along. the char on the edges will go away as well....you want to sand that off too. for some reason, it doesn't take glue too good.. when you hear no noise anymore and the char is gone, you should be able to run your hand down the side of the frame and actually feel the roundness of the frame and the contour. then when you lay the planking, it will conform to the bulkheads, and they will be able to lay flat on them.

with them not fared fully, the planks will have that chunky edge look as well. are you going to leave the brads in ? I have the 7 and 10 mm brads, but only have the insertion tool for the 7 mm brads. I pull them out as I go along......never liked the sound of sanding on metal. I also reuse them to continue the project or for other projects.

many of the models I've done were supposed to be double planked. I've viewed it as a waste of wood......there are so many different stains out there, that any hue can be easily achieved. it is hard though, especially if CA is used. once the wood has been sealed, sanding is a 50 / 50..the threat of glue blotches can still happen. I use a white glue / carpenter's glue........I lay the planking damp and keep a wet cloth handy to wipe away glue residue. where I do mostly Billing kits though, the most exotic wood I get is Annegre.....I don't usually work with walnut or Cherry. basswood, Obechi, and Annegre are cheaper woods, and make the hobby more cost effective for me. your second planking is most likely Walnut thin strips and will cover well on your hull......you did a super job shaping her up. the deck looks great......I use rubber bands to hold mine in place as it dries. I agree with Donnie.......nice start on this kit :)
buffie
Seaman Apprentice
Seaman Apprentice

Postby buffie » Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:29 am

Hi Popeye,

I must say I slipped a bit on the bulkheads and planking of the hull. The shape of the bulkheads did not form a very good shipline, I did try to sand it into a better form and it helped a lot, but unfortunately it wasn't quite enough. At that stage I did not know how important it was to get the frame right. The Up side is that I am learning more every day and your observation made me more wise, thank you! I am struggling with all the terminology and naming of all the parts of the ship, do you know of a good book that will help me with that, and some basic techniques?

You are right the kit provides a darker thinner wood for the second layer of planking, I know its not walnut, but I cant remember the name of the wood, its got a dark reddish brown look to it, it will definitely give a nice finish to the hull, will post some pictures once its done. The brads/nails I got with the kit is 10 mm and I will be leaving them in, since I have already started sanding over them. Next time I will be reusing them though, much easier I think.

Thanks for the advice, its much appreciated!!

Buffie
popeye

Postby popeye » Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:38 am

it might be mahogany..........Annegre {so I'm told} is a lighter cousin to it. I just got an order in thru Billing USA {it part of Ages of Sail}

http://www.billingboatsusa.com/

http://www.agesofsail.com/ecommerce/

Obechi is a soft wood......easy to manipulate when damp, but rough looking. it does sand well and can produce a good finish, but I would strongly use it for a first planking. a decent plank job combined with hardly any sanding, it would be perfect for second planking. for hulls I want to do a single plank instead.......I try to get basswood. it's a bit denser and will sand baby smooth, but it does require a wipe down to remove residual dust.

mahogany is a deep reddish brown.......brittle and hard to handle at times {depends how thin the strip is}. some model kits actually use this for hull planking {1.5 x ? various widths x 550 mm} and {.7 x ? various widths x 550 mm}. personally, I would not use it in this manner.......I use it for decorative features. can be weathered nicely for deck planking }{thin strip only}.......and I've tried the method in using it for deck seam calking.

Annegre in my opinion, is very good for deck planking. it can be accented with black, red, brown, or gray wash to alter the tint. I used to use black crayon for the deck seam calking. it does produce 'crumbs' so the face of the planking need to be scraped a little to remove them. sanded lightly later, blends what left into the planking.......and that gives it a nice hue as well. I only purchase the .7 thin strips......great for second planking, deck planking, and decorative features. I've had my thoughts about this wood, having never heard of it before.........I suspect that it may be basswood, that was stained during production. it's not as brittle as mahogany and I've seen differences in the shade and hue. but who really knows.....I may just be blowing smoke :D

you hull is fine........don't change it...it will be the basis for a good second planking :) never think that a question is too silly to ask...remember, every question you ask is a contribution to the site. your not only helping yourself, your helping everyone.......someone out there {member or not}, may have the same problem. it may even result in a new member....it's a win / win! build that ship and put her on a shelf. after a few more builds, armed with your ever increasing knowledge ;).........look at this ship. oh, what progress you will see :) never kick about what you didn't do, it's in what you learned for the future. I have trouble with terminology too.....your best bet....look in the magazine rack at the grocery store. you will find modeling mags that pertain to the medium.....the articles and the back pages are a treasure trove of information and places to buy stuff.
GaryM
Senoir Chief Petty Officer
Senoir Chief Petty Officer

Postby GaryM » Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:34 pm

After the first planking is done, I always remove the nails the next day (24 hour cure for max strength). Then, sand to get as good a finish as I can so 2nd planking will not need any and show the effect of planking. Sometimes, I need to use wood filler to get the finish I want. I use Tightbond 3 where strength is need and Titebond Bond 2 where strength is not required.
Happy modeling,
Gary Maple

Problems are just challenges waiting for your solution.

Current build: Sergal Sovereign of the Seas
In Que: Sergal: Cutty Sark and Amerigo Vespucci; Billings Titanic
Completed: Amati: HMS Prince (old 1:78 version); Billings: Norske Love and Vasa; Mantua: La Couronne; Sergal: Mississippi Riverboat and La Soleil Royal
eric61
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Postby eric61 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:49 am

Hi Buffie, the brown strips you refer to are most likely Sapelle or Sapelli. Depending on the stain/varnish you could make the wood look like Mahogany, Teak, Walnut or spoil the wood by painting it white.
The so called 'Brass nails' are only coated, THEY WILL RUST, so treat the sanded areas with something that will prevent rusting or move to Arizona, seriously tho' your model is progressing nicely, take it slow.
BTW if you are single planking (which you said you were) a tip is to bevel the edges so that they butt very closely you would then need minimal filling later.
Happy building
Eric
Cook's Endeavour - current,
Sovereign of the Seas - current (deAgostini)
In queue: Marina II Fishing Boat by Artesania Latina
In queue: Mayflower by Model Shipways

"I was thinking then it all went blank!"
buffie
Seaman Apprentice
Seaman Apprentice

Postby buffie » Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:58 am

Hi Eric,

You are right it is something like Sapelle! With this model I have decided to just stick to the original wood I got with the kit and I just use a clear varnish. I'm not a White wash type of person either, I don't believe in painting over wood I like it as natural as possible, just some varnish where its needed. Thanks for the advise on the nails, I will definitely have to treat it with some anti-rust, since I stay about 1 km from the ocean. I really haven't even thought about that so you saved me a lot of trouble, thanks!!

Buffie
eric61
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Postby eric61 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:14 pm

Hi Buffie, if you have a look at the latest pictures in my build you will see what the sapelle looks like when varnished. I used a New Golden Oak stain varnish, three coats.
Regards
Eric
Cook's Endeavour - current,
Sovereign of the Seas - current (deAgostini)
In queue: Marina II Fishing Boat by Artesania Latina
In queue: Mayflower by Model Shipways

"I was thinking then it all went blank!"

Return to “SOS Build Logs from Kits - Wood”