HMS Endeavour Bark 1768

This Build Log Section is for Wood Ships. Enter your Build Log here. It is advisable for others to follow your Build Log to start your post such as "Build Log: HMS Ship name"
Sgtmik
Petty Officer Second Class

Re: HMS Endeavour Bark 1768

Postby Sgtmik » Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:23 pm

Hi Eric,
Thanks for clearing that up for me. No smoking the dope that uses a paint brush. I'm back working on the Bounty now, for a change. When I get to hanging the sails I plan to use hat technique. :music-rockout:
When I start planking the second layer. do I use CA glue, contact glue or, white glue? :text-thankyouyellow:
Regards
Mike

Current Builds : HMAV Bounty
Caravel Santa Maria
Completed builds: HMS Bounty's Jolly Boat
H.M. Bark Endeavour
Builds in Cue: H.M.S. Endeavour's Long Boat
U.S.S. Constitution
eric61
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Postby eric61 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:00 am

Hi Mike, that is a good question, got anymore?
Seriously, I laid some strips using CA glue and found that due to the thinness (.5mm thick) of the strips the CA glue penetrated the wood thus leaving a dark "stain" in the strip. The rest of the strips were laid using a good quality pva wood glue (get a glue that can be sanded when cured).
I've just remembered that you live in the US so buy a bottle of TiteBond III(3) it allows you to make adjustments while setting and it cures hard so can be sanded (I should get paid for this advert).
The strips are (usually)quite porous, so I would advise not using a burnishing tool to rub the strips down, run a thin(ish) bead of glue the length of the strip and spread it with a finger, don't worry about getting glue elsewhere just keep a damp cloth handy. Now, if you put a little too much glue on, two things you can do, wipe some of it off with a clean finger or holding one end down(tight) run a thumb up the length, it will squeeze out the excess glue, which you can wipe away with the damp cloth or use the finger first which will fill in any gaps, it also acts as a grain filler. If you do find gaps later on use some glue to fill it in then sand again. Hope this helps. Here endeth the lesson.

What was the question again?

Regards
Eric
PS. regarding contact glue, it has a strong smell (either acetone or thinners) so for a person who is not well or may have lung issues, they will be working over the model consequently breathing in any fumes, granted, it does set fast when pressed down but does not allow for adjustments.
Eric
Cook's Endeavour - current,
Sovereign of the Seas - current (deAgostini)
In queue: Marina II Fishing Boat by Artesania Latina
In queue: Mayflower by Model Shipways

"I was thinking then it all went blank!"
Sgtmik

Postby Sgtmik » Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:03 pm

Thanks Eric that really helps. I think I'm about ready to start. I'll keep you posted. :text-thankyouyellow: :music-rockout: :handgestures-salute:
Regards
Mike

Caravel Santa Maria
H.M. Bark Endeavour
U.S.S. Constitution
Graham

Postby Graham » Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:19 pm

Hi Brian,
That's a great looking build. Some thoughts on your post re. the sails. I would:-
a Stain them - use tea and make if stronger if you want a darker colour
b While wet scrunch then up, straighten them out and put then over some rocks to dry
c It looks like your sails have edge and bottom seams? If so thread in some thin wire (not brass, that may tarnish and leach colour over time) which will help you get a billowing effect when you gently bend the wire
d When they look like you want them to flash them over with spray starch. My wife uses it in embroidery; it dries well with a matt finish and you will be able to get it in any sewing shop.
Regards.
eric61
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Postby eric61 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:03 pm

Hi Mike and Graham, if you go to some craft shops you should be able to get get a wire that is used for making bead bangles(the things girls wear on their wrists). This type of wire is refered to 'memory' wire, it will retain the diameter of the coil it is in, however, it can be semi straightened. Beware of the cut end it is very sharp, the wire is less than 1mm thick. I have some of this wire, it is good, but painfull .
Regards
Eric

Sgtmik

Postby Sgtmik » Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:39 pm

Thanks Eric, I'm still struggling with my planking the second layer. I laid three planks from the keel up but was not happy. I sanded it down re-filled the low spots. Now I'm ready to start again. Bending that thin stuff is hard. :angry-banghead: :angry-cussingblack:
:handgestures-salute:
Regards
Mike

Caravel Santa Maria
H.M. Bark Endeavour
U.S.S. Constitution
eric61
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Postby eric61 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:05 pm

Hi Mike, ask your GP if they can get for you a small/ish pair of curved heamostats, they have smoothe round edges that, in my opinion, are the best for curving the thin strips. I think there is a photo in my Endeavour build log (have a look on page 11).
SDo what you do is rub the area you want to curve(short strokes or long strokes, depending on the length of the curve or tightness), if you over curve i.e. too tight give the opposite side a rub with gentler pressure. On the same page are some photos of how I laid the strips bow and stern, the stern will give you an idea of the different curves. Having said that, there are some curves that may not need pre shaping just put a pin or few to hold it in place until the glue sets (be careful when taking the pins out too early they may pull the strip up).

I reckon that if I wrote a book about (the) different techniques it would be over 1000 pages long, including pictures.

Regarding the haemostats, if you can't get any, get a pair of scissors that has space for thumb and three fingers and use that area to rub the strips, I think it's called burnishing not sure.
Call again if you need help.

Be careful, when making curves this way the wood is compressed and becomes brittle to an extent and make sure the curves follow the curves of the hull and not have one go the oppsite direction. I did that only once!

Regards
Eric

Return to “SOS Build Logs from Kits - Wood”