HMS Endeavour Bark 1768

This Build Log Section is for Wood Ships. Enter your Build Log here. It is advisable for others to follow your Build Log to start your post such as "Build Log: HMS Ship name"
Brian
Petty Officer Third Class

HMS Endeavour Bark 1768

Postby Brian » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:50 pm

Before I go any further here I will stand corrected on the correct title of this build,
the box says as per title the "HMS Endeavour Bark 1768", however in doing a little research on this ship it was built as the "Earl of Pembroke" 350 tons and was a small Merchant Collier built to transport coal around the coast of Britain.
She was built in Whitby, North Yorkshire in June 1764 by Thomas Fishburn, and was obtained by the Royal Society of London for use in a scientific study to observe the ‘transit of Venus across the sun’ in 1769. She was renamed "HM Bark Endeavor" and underwent a major re-fit at Deptford on the Thames in 1768.
Her Captain for the voyage a forty year-old experienced seaman by the name of James Cook who, until that time, had never commanded a vessel of his own.

Any way after that brief history lesson, as promised I am back with my new build, a long way off from the Red Dragon Chinese Junk that I was looking to purchase, popped into our local Model shop that I use and this was in stock and offered me a 10% discount, just couldn't refuse.
I see that Eric has a build on going at the moment "Eaglemoss HMB/HMS Endeavour" is that yet another name for the same ship, I am getting really confused now. Good for me to see another build going on but not so good because I now have to try and match Erics excellent workmanship.
As seen in the photo's this is by Artesania Latina and is double plank on frame with a scale of 1:60
Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (276.65 KiB) Viewed 2595 times
2.jpg
Contents of the box not so securely packed as normal, all floating around loose.
2.jpg (217.43 KiB) Viewed 2595 times
4.jpg
I was quite surprised to see the sails already cut & sewn, With my San Juan build I had to do all the sewing myself, the only thing missing is the stainless steel wire to stiffen up the edges of the sails to make them billow more, may have to add these myself I think.
4.jpg (243.68 KiB) Viewed 2595 times
5.6.jpg
Four very large full size plans, a step by step picture guide and a instruction booklet in four language's, would of been better if each one a section to itself instead of all 4 on the same page.
Just being picky now.
5.6.jpg (186.36 KiB) Viewed 2595 times
6.jpg
After unpacking the box, I thought I will do a quick dry fit of the hull to where I am going with it, think again Brian, almost every slot had to be filed out by quite a lot. Also made a temporary base to keep it upright whilst working on it.
6.jpg (233.89 KiB) Viewed 2595 times
eric61
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Re: HMS Endeavour Bark 1768

Postby eric61 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:15 pm

Hi Brian, good to see you building again. Eaglemoss are the publishers of the part series for the Endeavour similar to DeAgostini. In various documentation I have seen the ship has been referred to as His Majesty's Bark and His Majesty's Ship. The vessel is actually a Bark.
'Captain' Cook was actually a lieutenant, was only made a Captain after he returned to England after his first voyage of discovery, but he "captained" the ship.
Hope this is of some help, I will post some more history when I get back home next week.
Regards
Eric
Cook's Endeavour - current,
Sovereign of the Seas - current (deAgostini)
In queue: Marina II Fishing Boat by Artesania Latina
In queue: Mayflower by Model Shipways

"I was thinking then it all went blank!"
eric61
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Postby eric61 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:06 pm

Brian, the Endeavour should be referred to as either H M Ship or H M Bark Endeaour, the following may help explain why. (this info should be in another area but it may be missed there.

A barque, barc, or bark is a type of sailing vessel with three or more masts having the fore- and mainmasts rigged square and only the mizzen (the aftermost mast) rigged fore-and-aft. (A fore-and-aft rig is a sailing rig consisting mainly of sails that are set along the line of the keel rather than perpendicular to it. Such sails are described as fore-and-aft rigged)
The word barque entered English via French, which in turn came from the Latin barca by way of Occitan, Spanish or Italian. The Latin barca may stem from Celtic "barc" (per Thurneysen) or Greek "baris" (per Diez), a term for an Egyptian boat. The Oxford English Dictionary considers the latter improbable.

Bark
In the 18th century, the British Royal Navy used the term bark for a nondescript vessel that did not fit any of its usual categories. Thus, when the British Admiralty purchased a collier for use by James Cook in his journey of exploration, she was registered as HM Bark Endeavour to distinguish her from another Endeavour, a sloop already in service at the time. She happened to be a ship-rigged sailing vessel with a plain bluff bow and a full stern with windows.

William Falconer's Dictionary of the Marine defined "bark", as "a general name given to small ships: it is however peculiarly appropriated by seamen to those which carry three masts without a mizzen topsail. Our northern mariners, who are trained in the coal-trade, apply this distinction to a broad-sterned ship, which carries no ornamental figure on the stem or prow

The rest of this article can be read at this link, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barque

GaryM
Senoir Chief Petty Officer

Postby GaryM » Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:34 pm

I like the way AL puts their fittings in a clear plastic case and the way the instructions show each step in detail with pictures. Wish all kits would follow in this direction. Mantua revised the instructions like this for the Sovereign of the Seas and it makes it so much clearer and harder to go wrong. The harder the kit is to put together, the more important this becomes. Thanks for showing the contents and hope you have a great time building this vessel.
Happy modeling,
Gary Maple

Problems are just challenges waiting for your solution.

Current build: Sergal Sovereign of the Seas
In Que: Sergal: Cutty Sark and Amerigo Vespucci; Billings Titanic
Completed: Amati: HMS Prince (old 1:78 version); Billings: Norske Love and Vasa; Mantua: La Couronne; Sergal: Mississippi Riverboat and La Soleil Royal
Brian

Postby Brian » Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:14 am

Hi, Thanks for the info & comments Gary & Eric, very interesting.

On with the build, first picture below shows the fitting of the pre formed stern piece, not much help in the instructions with the actual placing of this so dry pinned the rear deck and glued the fitting in place to suit.
The bow section made of the same preformed material was much easier, it fitted "well at the front"
Attachments
7.5.jpg
7.5.jpg (145.55 KiB) Viewed 2553 times
8.jpg
8.jpg (162.9 KiB) Viewed 2553 times
9.jpg
9.jpg (181.11 KiB) Viewed 2553 times
10.jpg
Once the tops of the frame were all sanded off to suit the angle of the deck, the 3 decks were glued & pinned.
10.jpg (171.34 KiB) Viewed 2553 times
11.jpg
11.jpg (171.62 KiB) Viewed 2553 times
12.jpg
The plans say to plank the decks with full length strips of "Mukaly" (new one on me) and I may have gone with this and scribed in the joints later if it were not for the different shades in colour (see photo) so decided to cut 8cm strips, throw them up in the air and hope I get a random pattern when used, it may look quite good.
12.jpg (166.4 KiB) Viewed 2553 times
Brian

Postby Brian » Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:05 pm

Because I have learnt from past experience the importance of the planks being all the same size and square ended (well almost square) I made myself a little jig for this and it works quite well 4 or 5 strips can be cut at time.
All 4 edges of the cut planks were then rubbed with a lead pencil to enhance the joints.
Attachments
13.jpg
13.jpg (171.8 KiB) Viewed 2553 times
14.jpg
Having now planked the middle deck, I decided to mark out the treenails with a lead pencil intending to drill them and glue in the toothpicks as I did on my San Juan build, but they look so good I may just varnish over them and see how they look after, I can always drill & nail them after if not happy with the result.
14.jpg (165.67 KiB) Viewed 2553 times
GaryM

Postby GaryM » Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:46 pm

These planks look fairly long. Usually planks were 20 to 25 feet long, about 6 to 7 1/2 meters. It looks like the frames are solid wood, not plywood used by other companies. This will make a nice base for planking.
Happy modeling,
Gary Maple

Problems are just challenges waiting for your solution.

Current build: Sergal Sovereign of the Seas
In Que: Sergal: Cutty Sark and Amerigo Vespucci; Billings Titanic
Completed: Amati: HMS Prince (old 1:78 version); Billings: Norske Love and Vasa; Mantua: La Couronne; Sergal: Mississippi Riverboat and La Soleil Royal
eric61
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Postby eric61 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:32 am

Hi Gary, if you look carefully in photo 7.5 you can see that the bulkheads are plywood. I thought the deck planks looked a bit long but put it down to modellers choice, nice colour in the planking though.
Eric

Brian

Postby Brian » Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:12 am

Hi Gary,
I did try to do some research on the plank length but couldn't find anything to help so in the end just went with what looked right,
I felt that any shorter the decks would of looked a bit messy, and actually if my math is correct 8cm at 1:60 scale gives me a 4.8m plank so could be a little short.
Eric is correct the frame is all plywood, but a healthy 6mm thick, the bow & stern former is made of chip wood very hard it is too.
Please keep the comments coming, both good & bad they all help in my learning process, I am after still a beginner by the standard of many of you on this forum.
I quite like the way the mixture of shades worked out on the planking too Eric.
eric61
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Postby eric61 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:23 am

Hi Gary, the bow piece looks like it is made of MDF (medium density fiber) the 'glue' is said to be carcinogenic SO PLEASE BE CAREFUL WHEN SANDING, WEAR A MASK! Some side effects are sneezing, dry throat and 'losing' voice.
If you are concerned by this build up the bow by laminating balsa using CA glue to give it strength.
I hope to have my Endeavour fully planked within a fortnight. will post some pictures then.
regards
Eric

Return to “SOS Build Logs from Kits - Wood”