Artesania Latina Virginia 1819 build/bash by: DaveC.

This Build Log Section is for Wood Ships. Enter your Build Log here. It is advisable for others to follow your Build Log to start your post such as "Build Log: HMS Ship name"
DaveC
Petty Officer Second Class

Artesania Latina Virginia 1819 build/bash by: DaveC.

Postby DaveC » Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:21 pm

As I stated in an earlier post, my son purchased this model. It was his first wooden ship model kit. There was no practicum with the model, just a written instruction booklet. The wood in the kit is not very good. The plywood pieces cracked and separated when trying to work with them.
He completed the False keel and frames, the deck assembly of the ship and some of the deck furniture. Then, he became very frustrated and gave me the model.

I have built wooden ships in the past (many years ago). There is a pretty decent picture of the model on the box lid it came in, that will be my reference (practicum?), for this build along with the not so clear written instructions, So, I am tackling this. It is a rather simple ship to build, so it should not be that difficult. (Crossing fingers now)

I am making some (minor) changes in the ships design, so this really becomes a bash.

I am, actually, a model railroader as a hobby of choice. I have designed and built many structures totally from scratch. Why do I mention this? I will be drawing on all my skills that I have acquired through years, of building structures for my model railroading.
I believe this will work to my benefit in building this model. Also, I will draw on what knowledge I have retained, from my many moons ago, of ship building memories.

If, during this build, I use non-ship building terms, please forgive me now. ;-) It is ignorance on my part and my hard drive (brain) is full, plain and simple. Too many cookies!

But, I do digress:

Onward and upward. Following are pics of what my son accomplished, before he committed mutiny and left it to me.

Hull

3001.JPG
3001.JPG (65.13 KiB) Viewed 3434 times

3003.JPG
3003.JPG (60.16 KiB) Viewed 3434 times

Decking

3004.JPG
3004.JPG (42.76 KiB) Viewed 3434 times

Tree nailing

3005.JPG
3005.JPG (66.62 KiB) Viewed 3434 times

3006.JPG
3006.JPG (65.25 KiB) Viewed 3434 times

Sorry I haven't time to post more pics right now. I have to go do some of those things that those we owe money to, appreciate.
I will try to come back later today and put up some more.

Dave
Seattle
Attachments
3002.JPG
3002.JPG (60.16 KiB) Viewed 3434 times
Last edited by DaveC on Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sometimes it's necessary to go a long distance out of the way in order to come back a short distance correctly.
GaryM
Senoir Chief Petty Officer
Senoir Chief Petty Officer

Re: Artesania Latina Virginia 1819 build/bash by: DaveC.

Postby GaryM » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:52 pm

It looks like a cute little ship. Hopefully you will find it interesting to do ships again. The whole hobby world has changed significantly. Some of the new kits make fantastic models. The beauty of the 17th century vessels is my favorite. Almost all kits have some things that can be improved on or errors that can be corrected. Thus, a good kit basher is very welcome in this hobby. I did model railroading, but like ships better.
Happy modeling,
Gary Maple

Problems are just challenges waiting for your solution.

Current build: Sergal Sovereign of the Seas
In Que: Sergal: Cutty Sark and Amerigo Vespucci; Billings Titanic
Completed: Amati: HMS Prince (old 1:78 version); Billings: Norske Love and Vasa; Mantua: La Couronne; Sergal: Mississippi Riverboat and La Soleil Royal
DaveC

Postby DaveC » Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:36 am

As stated earlier, there is no practicum with this model. All I have is the pic on the box lid. I also have a pic of the Dos Amigos by Ocre as my computer background. Between the two, I am hoping to build this little ship into something respectable.
I do not believe in leaving things undone. Perhaps on hold, but never unfinished.
Thank you for your visit and comments Gary. They are appreciated.

Thought would slip in this mornin' and add a few more pics of what my son accomplished before abandoning it.

Here is the finished decking. Treenailed and stained with Golden Oak. The order is a little messed up, he actually built the furnishings before he did the deck, but it's all here.

3007.JPG
3007.JPG (65.03 KiB) Viewed 3409 times

3008.JPG
3008.JPG (71.96 KiB) Viewed 3409 times

Here is where he became frustrated with the planking and began building the deck furnishings.

3009.JPG
3009.JPG (50.28 KiB) Viewed 3409 times

3010.JPG
3010.JPG (53.76 KiB) Viewed 3409 times

3011.JPG
3011.JPG (59.49 KiB) Viewed 3409 times

3012.JPG
3012.JPG (62.11 KiB) Viewed 3409 times

After he built the hatch, he went back to the planking. Even with my help, he tossed in the towel. He just did not care for working with wood. He did give it a good try.
From this point on, I started working on the ship.

As I stated earlier, there was no sheet of instructions or practicum so here is my reference. Also, there were written instructions, but that only gives assembly mostly. It does not give lengths, diameters, etc... So, I will do my best with what I have and build some semblance of a ship.

3013.JPG
3013.JPG (53.88 KiB) Viewed 3409 times

3014.JPG
3014.JPG (41.16 KiB) Viewed 3409 times

That all the time I have for today. Gotta get ready for work.

Have a great day.

Dave
Seattle
Last edited by DaveC on Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sometimes it's necessary to go a long distance out of the way in order to come back a short distance correctly.
probablynot

Postby probablynot » Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:52 am

Seems to me the lad was doing fine work with the deck planking and trenails. I wonder what it was about the hull planking that caused him to give up? Maybe once you get the model past that stage he'll want to resume work?
Looks good so far, anyway.
DaveC

Postby DaveC » Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:22 am

Thank you Brian for your visit.
I agree, he was doing a fine job of it.
It wasn't only the planking that set against him. It was the fact that he had not worked with wood before.
He builds beautiful modern military models set in dioramas.
It was also the frustration of no clear instructions. That even frustrated me.
We gleaned a lot of information from the internet and what little I remembered, but it just wasn't enough to keep him interested.
His looking at the things I had built, gave him the nudge to get the model. But not enough to stay with it.
He said, he just doesn't like working with the wood and having to cut and sand a lot of things to the right shape. It wasn't just the one thing.
As I learned a long time ago, working with woods takes a certain patience that not everyone has.
Give him a plastic model and he works wonders with it! He even looked for a plastic ship to build, but didn't find any that suited him.

Anyhow, thanks again. Now I am off to work. Everyone have a great day.

Dave
Seattle
catopower
Petty Officer First Class

Postby catopower » Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:21 am

Hello Dave,

Fine work on your Virginia model!

As for young people and wooden ship models, I know there's a tendency for us all to think that we need to promote wood ship models to kids. But personally, when I was a kit, I had little interest in wooden, though I thought sailing ships were pretty neat.

I was an avid plastic modeler and built a few sailing ship kits. My own dad tried to get me into his hobby, which was wooden model airplanes. I tried to build a couple times, but didn't really love the wood models. Seemed too old fashioned in a fascinating modern world of rockets, jets and tanks. It wasn't until I was in my 30s that I really started appreciating wooden ship models, and then I was bit hard by the ship modeling bug.

So, I wouldn't worry too much about your son's lack of interest. I bet he'll eventually take on the challenge, if just to prove to himself that he can do it. After that, who knows?

Keep up the good work!

Clare
DaveC

Postby DaveC » Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:11 pm

Thank you Clare for your visit and comments.
However, my son is 27, pushing 28. I had nothing to do with him wanting to build a wooden ship model. He was on the internet and seen some and became completely interested. I did mention to him that I had built a few back in the day.
If I was to promote something, it would be my love of 'O' scale model railroading.
I had no hand in his making this choice.

As a further note, I am afraid I will get bitten again and my railroad empire will go to the wayside. :)

Dave
Seattle
catopower

Postby catopower » Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:37 am

Well, in that case, I'm sure he'll try it again!

Model railroading. That's another one of those things Dad tried to get me into that didn't stick, though I did kind of get into it for a couple years.

Well, here's to hoping you get bitten but good by the ship modeling bug :D

Clare
eric61
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Postby eric61 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:13 am

Hi Dave, why not kill two birds with one stone. Your son loves building dioramas, your model railroading is a diorama, technically. So why not get together, at this stage, and plan a diorama for the ship? Perhaps in a semi completed state on a slipway or maybe at a dockside or even on the ocean rounding a headland.
Post some pictures of your sons' dioramas, I'm sure Donnie won't mind.
Regards
Eric

PS. Ya'll have a fantastic Festive Time, we are sweltering in 30degree plus heat here north of Brisbane.
Cook's Endeavour - current,
Sovereign of the Seas - current (deAgostini)
In queue: Marina II Fishing Boat by Artesania Latina
In queue: Mayflower by Model Shipways

"I was thinking then it all went blank!"
DaveC

Postby DaveC » Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:55 am

Thank you for your comments and suggestions Clare and Eric.

This build, is not going to be done here with an S.B.S style of format, as a lot of it has been already built. With the Virginia, I will just do a progress style. (Notice how I stated: with the Virginia).

I finished the first layer of planking.

3015.JPG
3015.JPG (67.35 KiB) Viewed 3376 times

3016.JPG
3016.JPG (64.05 KiB) Viewed 3376 times

Those planks are a bit on the thick side here. Will need to be sanding and filing them down to thinner profile. I should have followed the master builders lead and cut rabbits first. But, we do live and learn.

3017.JPG
3017.JPG (45.68 KiB) Viewed 3376 times

3018.JPG
3018.JPG (43.86 KiB) Viewed 3376 times

3019.JPG
3019.JPG (69.63 KiB) Viewed 3376 times

Not real satisfied with the way the plank next to the keel fits. That's going to take a little work to get it right. In the keel, I did cut rabbits, but it did not come out right. Would prefer a smoother transition.

3020.JPG
3020.JPG (62.59 KiB) Viewed 3376 times

Next will come the filler, sanding and adding the wales, along with the upper hull planking, rail and the scuppers.

Have a great and marvelous day everyone. Happy Hanukkah, Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, Happy Festive Season! Take your pick!
God bless!!

Dave
Seattle

Return to “SOS Build Logs from Kits - Wood”