La Candelaria 1:85 Occre

This Build Log Section is for Wood Ships. Enter your Build Log here. It is advisable for others to follow your Build Log to start your post such as "Build Log: HMS Ship name"

Moderators: Aussie048, zoly99sask

DaveC
Petty Officer Second Class

Re: La Candelaria 1:85 Occre

Postby DaveC » Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:40 pm

JeanL. For your first build, you ain't doin' bad at all, imho! But then, I haven't built a model ship for eon's (until recently), so my opinion may not count. :D
I do have a curiosity question though. In one of the above pics, you have an adjustable wrench and a fork on the work bench! Huh, are those there in case of frustration with the build?

Just kidding! :D

Dave
Seattle
Sometimes it's necessary to go a long distance out of the way in order to come back a short distance correctly.
JeanL
Seaman
Seaman

Postby JeanL » Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:56 pm

Thank you Eric
I don`t think that my family would be very fond of a fridge full of beer :D , but maybe coffee, or tea if I get frustrated.

The wrench wouldn`t be the best tool in my hand if I am frustrated that’s for sure :o . But it made a good improvised keel clamp and a good mini vice. The fork on the other hand I have no idea what I intended to do with it.
eric61
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Postby eric61 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:23 pm

Hi Jean-Luc, I thought the use of a fork would be obvious, it is used for scoring deck planks.
Enjoy your winter months, here in Australia, two states, Victoria and South Australia, are experiencing temperatures in excess of 40 degrees C. Most of the country is having a heat wave.

Regards
Eric
Cook's Endeavour - current,
Sovereign of the Seas - current (deAgostini)
In queue: Marina II Fishing Boat by Artesania Latina
In queue: Mayflower by Model Shipways

"I was thinking then it all went blank!"
JeanL
Seaman
Seaman

Postby JeanL » Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:54 pm

I never thought of using a fork for scoring deck planks, I don`t even know what it means :sad: .
I wish I could enjoy the winter, but the snow is melting and it is raining, I would rather have 40 degrees C and be in a pool with an icy cold drink :D . I wish we could exchange.
Donnie
Master Chief Petty Officer

Postby Donnie » Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:53 pm

JeanL,

don't be so hard on yourself or too critical of yourself - no critic coming from me as I think you are doing exceptional well, especially with this your first wooden ship. No two or three or a half a dozen people will build the "same" wooden ship that will look identical.

enjoy your progress !

Donnie
Current Build Prep: Panart San Felipe 1:75
Completed Build: Santisima Trinidad

Main SOS Site: Ships of Scale Website

No Guts, No Glory !
otrax01
Petty Officer First Class
Petty Officer First Class

Postby otrax01 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:20 pm

Jean-Luc, I would say a model table saw. I find it much easier sawing strips with a table saw then using a razor saw. I made a small cross cut sled for mine and it's my number one tool.
Kent
Remember, When your out in the shop, Ship Happens!
Seaman
Seaman

Postby JeanL » Fri May 01, 2015 2:19 pm

Hello,
I have not updated my build for a while, I apologize. Thank you for the nice comments everyone. As you might have noticed my progress is slow, but I like it that way. At the start of my build I rushed everything which led to errors. Now I take my time with every task. I already have my next build which is already waiting since a long time under my table. It will have to wait a little longer.
I have now finished the gallery windows.
lillegallery.JPG
lillegallery.JPG (224.24 KiB) Viewed 1132 times

My stern was too sturdy and could not be bent. This led to an intense sanding session where I sanded away all the plywood where the strips were attached too. Needless to say it didn`t do much good for the stability of the stern... :D .
lilltsternside.JPG
lilltsternside.JPG (338.39 KiB) Viewed 1132 times

I am also trying to redo the figurehead out of sculpey to get some first experience with it. Maybe one day I will start to carve wood, which is a wish of mine but I do realize how hard it is. Anyway I did a negative mould of the figurehead. You all know the process that follows that, so I will keep it short :D . Once I had the replica I made some adjustments, burned it hard and proceeded to get my first carving experience. Just some fiddling around nothing big. Here are the results:
lillehead.JPG
lillehead.JPG (352.78 KiB) Viewed 1132 times

Some work still needs to be done. Once finished I plan to stain in in dark walnut, which will hopefully be the same colours as the wales.
The table saw is on my wish list Otrax :) .
Thank you Donnie, this is why I chose this hobby. Whilst some try to be as historical accurate as possible I know that I cannot achieve this on my first build, so I just experiment a little :?
Critics and advice is always welcome.
Donnie

Postby Donnie » Sun May 24, 2015 12:46 am

Now that is incredible work on the ornamentation !!! Very well done !

Donnie
Current Build Prep: Panart San Felipe 1:75
Completed Build: Santisima Trinidad

Main SOS Site: Ships of Scale Website

No Guts, No Glory !
fragle123

Postby fragle123 » Sun May 24, 2015 4:01 am

that is very nice work and i found the secret to this hobby is taking your time with everything the first time i started i wanted to get it built as quick as possible and it showed in the end result i never had any forums to check other peoples builds to see how things are done or any tools to begin with.
always remember that if your not sure about something then just ask everybody here will give you help and advice and my last build took me over a year to do but the time is not important in this hobby.
cheers steve

Return to “SOS Build Logs from Kits - Wood”