La Candelaria 1:85 Occre

This Build Log Section is for Wood Ships. Enter your Build Log here. It is advisable for others to follow your Build Log to start your post such as "Build Log: HMS Ship name"

Moderator: zoly99sask

JeanL
Seaman
Seaman

La Candelaria 1:85 Occre

Postby JeanL » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:45 pm

I started this build in January 2014 and found this forum recently, so I have decided to post a build log. As this is my first build, I had no idea what I was doing (still don`t really know what I am doing :D ), this led to numerous errors and things that could have been improved weren`t. I hope that I learnt from my errors and that they won`t happen again.

Anyway, the planking is held by 10 bulkheads (for about a 50 cm long hull). I had no difficulties gluing them on (at least that).
blukhead.jpg
blukhead.jpg (81.47 KiB) Viewed 2697 times

Once done I had to glue the reinforcements, which I did in a hurry :? , So I didn`t take a look at the plans and glued it too low, this led to a big problem to the bow area when planking. I fixed that by sawing of some of the planking, gluing cardboard on the inside and put some wood filler on the cardboard.
error.JPG
error.JPG (113.6 KiB) Viewed 2697 times

After that I had to do the deck planking, unfortunately I followed the instructions to do it. They told me to glue the strips on the plywood and once done to draw the planks on with a pencil. Finally I had to stain it in oak colour. Some months afterwards, when I got interested on how other people build model ships did I read about caulking. Well I am not happy at all with the result.
deck.jpg
deck.jpg (77.81 KiB) Viewed 2697 times

After that I went on to the planking. I was told to soak the master planks in water and nail them in their slots (on the bulkheads). I did that, tried to nail the first plank and it cracked at several places. I did the same with the other plank and it cracked too. This is where I got really frustrated and went on the internet, where I found out about plank bender, I got that scissor looking ones and finished the planking.
planking 1.JPG
planking 1.JPG (126.72 KiB) Viewed 2697 times

Unfortunately some errors were done on the planking, at the stern the planks should come together to the keel (based on observations on other ships, but the instructions didn`t specify that and there are no stern or bow plans, which annoys me a little).
After that I sanded the hull and used filler (I removed the nails too), which went fine.
planking 1 finished.JPG
planking 1 finished.JPG (145.27 KiB) Viewed 2697 times

Then I proceeded to the second planking, again the instruction told me to glue the whole strips down. This time I decided not to listen and made myself my own little planks to glue on the hull, it was very time consuming, so I used Sekundenkleber (CA glue I think), which left some stains on the hull.
planking 2.JPG
planking 2.JPG (144.23 KiB) Viewed 2697 times

IMG_0445.JPG
IMG_0445.JPG (89.15 KiB) Viewed 2697 times

Afterwards I glued those handrails (not sure ifs the right name).
bow.JPG
bow.JPG (98.57 KiB) Viewed 2697 times

Now I am working on the stern, where I found a major flaw in the kit, the stern that they give you has the windows placed much too high. (On this photo I did not put the piece of wood that comes behind the stern so that you can see how high the windows are compared to the deck.
sternmetal.JPG
sternmetal.JPG (92.63 KiB) Viewed 2697 times

I am now working to scratch build the stern and will maybe place a light in the captain’s cabin.
sternwood.JPG
sternwood.JPG (92.4 KiB) Viewed 2697 times

If you have read until here I would be happy if you could do some constructive criticism or/and if you have ideas of how I can improve my model.
(Sorry for the long post)
GaryM
Senoir Chief Petty Officer
Senoir Chief Petty Officer

Re: La Candelaria 1:85 Occre

Postby GaryM » Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:04 pm

For this being your first model and without prior knowledge, you are doing a great job. This is a hobby that you learn as you go and you get better with experience. Reading through everything that is on this site will help and if you take notes, you will have information that will help on the next model. I make notes of things that went wrong so I do not make the same error also. There are several books that fill in the kit instructions. Kit instructions can be very inadequate and wrong. Thus, the better your library is, the better your models will become. There is a section here that list the books that will help you start to build a library of your own.
Happy modeling,
Gary Maple

Problems are just challenges waiting for your solution.

Current build: Sergal Sovereign of the Seas
In Que: Sergal: Cutty Sark and Amerigo Vespucci; Billings Titanic
Completed: Amati: HMS Prince (old 1:78 version); Billings: Norske Love and Vasa; Mantua: La Couronne; Sergal: Mississippi Riverboat and La Soleil Royal
eric61
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Postby eric61 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:58 pm

Hi JeanL, Great build, I found that with gluing the brown strips( I assume they are Sapele) using CA glue, after about a half hour if you sand the strips lightly with 120grit sandpaper, the 'stains' will go away. On my build if I use PVA glue the 'stains' won't go away.
Look forward to reading more of your build.
Regards
Eric
Cook's Endeavour - current,
Sovereign of the Seas - current (deAgostini)
In queue: Marina II Fishing Boat by Artesania Latina
In queue: Mayflower by Model Shipways

"I was thinking then it all went blank!"
JeanL
Seaman
Seaman

Postby JeanL » Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:35 pm

Thank you for the encouraging words.
Unfortunately you are right Gary, I wish I had the little knowledge that I have acquired at the beginning of the build, but I guess getting better (hopefully) is good too. I might buy a little booklet and write down what I did wrong, it`s a great idea. I will also search for the topic that you have mentioned, I have two books, but one of them isn`t that useful for my build.

The instructions say that is dibetou wood, but I googled sapele and it look almost the same, so it might be that. I have read the small text on my glue and happily it seems to be CA glue, so I will definitely try it out, if it is not too late.
eric61
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Postby eric61 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:41 pm

Jean, I will send you some photos to show that SOME of the stains might not be too bad.
Eric

probablynot
Petty Officer Second Class
Petty Officer Second Class

Postby probablynot » Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:50 pm

Seems to me you've done a good job building a replacement for the stern facing. That's a nice piece of timber, and you've cut it well.
Will you leave it plain? I think you probably could. Or will you try to replicate the original paintwork?
eric61
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Postby eric61 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:27 pm

Jean, further to the staining, the strip in the middle was glued using PVA glue and glued 3 weeks ago. The strips top and bottom were glued using CA glue.
Eric
Attachments
DSC02347.JPG
DSC02347.JPG (82.8 KiB) Viewed 2670 times
DSC02348.JPG
DSC02348.JPG (89.75 KiB) Viewed 2670 times
DSC02346.JPG
DSC02346.JPG (131.11 KiB) Viewed 2670 times

JeanL
Seaman
Seaman

Postby JeanL » Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:09 am

Thank you Brian, I might put some of the decoration on it, but I am not sure yet, would you let it plain or is a contrast better?
Thank you for the photos Eric, as soon as I am ready to varnish the hull I will sand the stains just like you told and I will post the results, maybe it won`t be as nice, because the glue is already very old.
JeanL
Seaman
Seaman

Postby JeanL » Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:37 pm

Hello
I have not done much lately on the ship (It feels as if I am at the same stage since 6 months :roll: ). I did continue a little with the stern, now I just have to add columns, although I am not sure how they will look like.
lillestern.JPG
lillestern.JPG (125.55 KiB) Viewed 2172 times

Afterwards I will try to copy the most important decoration.
I have received 2 posters and 2 power tools for Christmas and my birthday, hopefully I will put them to good use.
lilleroom.JPG
lilleroom.JPG (144.13 KiB) Viewed 2172 times

Off Topic: I have saved money for over a year now and was wondering what tool would help me be more accurate.

Happy New Year

Jean-Luc
eric61
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Postby eric61 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:12 pm

Hello Jean-Luc, Happy New Year and birthday (belated), regarding your off-topic comment on the best tool/s to help you. My suggestions are: a fridge full of beer and an Espresso machine, beer for summer, coffee for winter.

May you have a very productive year modelling.
Regards
Eric

Return to “SOS Build Logs from Kits - Wood”