King of the Mississippi

This Build Log Section is for Wood Ships. Enter your Build Log here. It is advisable for others to follow your Build Log to start your post such as "Build Log: HMS Ship name"

Moderators: Aussie048, zoly99sask

Brian
Petty Officer Third Class

King of the Mississippi

Post by Brian » Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:57 am

It seems only a few short weeks since I finished the San Juan and already have my next build on the go, which as you can see by the subject title is Artesania Latina's "King of the Mississippi".

Upon opening the box I was yet again impressed by the quality and packaging of the kit, with several layers of shrink wrap & selotape to protect during transportation.

Although tempted to start breaking out parts and gluing them together, I spent a couple of hours that evening unpacking and studying the instructions, and got going on it the next morning.
Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (145.77 KiB) Viewed 3408 times
2.jpg
Showing contents of box (wrapping removed)
2.jpg (131.34 KiB) Viewed 3408 times
3.jpg
I do find the laser cut sheets to be f very high quality
3.jpg (150.63 KiB) Viewed 3408 times
4.jpg
2 containers with all the thread & metal parts in.
4.jpg (150.09 KiB) Viewed 3408 times
6.jpg
After first dry fitting these parts together, went ahead with gluing the frames to the false keel & bottom board.
I did fully intend to make a jig for this part like I have seen other do on this site, but such was the construction everything going into slots no jig was required, just put some weight on it to keep it flat whilst the glue dried, took the opportunity here to jump ahead a couple of stages and glue the 2 extension pieces to the 1st deck and prepare it for planking.
6.jpg (147.89 KiB) Viewed 3408 times
7.jpg
This picture shows the 2 bulkheads fitted (glued & pinned) and sanded ready to take the 1st deck, which has to be planked first.
Have to do a little research first as on this build I want to have a go at caulking & maybe treenails.
Not sure yet though if a paddle steamer warrants treenails.
I am sure other on this site will advise me on this matter :)
7.jpg (148.51 KiB) Viewed 3408 times

catopower
Petty Officer First Class
Petty Officer First Class

Re: King of the Mississippi

Post by catopower » Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:12 pm

Hi Brian,

Congratulations on the new start! Wow, you showed great restraint in waiting until morning to start the build. I'm very impressed…

Looks like it's going to be a fun and interesting build!

Clare

Brian

Post by Brian » Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:48 am

Hi catopower,

Thanks for your comments, yes it is going to be an interesting build and my biggest to date (Length=660mm x Height=192mm x Beam 130mm)

This is my fourth build, the other three being sailing ships so will make a change not to have any sails or rigging to do, I don't really enjoy that part, I was a carpenter not a seamstress :)

I do have to show some restraint, being retired now I would spend all day every day working on it until it was finished, then I would get bored again and be looking for another one to do.

My next job on the build should of been to plank the hull, but jumped ahead one stage to plank the 1st deck as I was keen to have my first go at planking with short planks and doing some simulated caulking. I didn't like the look of the 2 plank method shown in the instructions so went for a 3 plank method (see photo) as for the caulking after much research on the subject decided to go for the lead pencil on the edges look as I didn't want it to look too harsh, started by clamping a few together and rubbing all 4 edges with the pencil but also ran the pencil down the edge of each completed run after gluing in place, I am quite pleased with my first attempt at this and I understand that when varnished the caulking lines will stand out more, but first I am going to do some treenails on a test piece to see how it looks.
Attachments
8.jpg
Edges of plank rubbed with lead pencil before fitting.
8.jpg (151.56 KiB) Viewed 3385 times
9.jpg
First deck planked, treenails to do, have to do some research first on what size holes and how to fill them etc.
9.jpg (153.58 KiB) Viewed 3385 times

edmay

Post by edmay » Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:49 pm

Hello Brian, real nice job of the decking,Edwin

GaryM
Senoir Chief Petty Officer

Post by GaryM » Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:59 pm

It is looking really good. Paddle-wheelers go together really fast. I have a article here on tree nails that will tell you the size to use based on the scale of your model. A four step pattern is usual so changing from the two step pattern was a good decision. In Donnie Dressel's book, he show the pattern to be used for tree nails based upon the width of the planks.
Happy modeling,
Gary Maple

Problems are just challenges waiting for your solution.

Current build: Sergal Sovereign of the Seas
In Que: Sergal: Cutty Sark and Amerigo Vespucci; Billings Titanic
Completed: Amati: HMS Prince (old 1:78 version); Billings: Norske Love and Vasa; Mantua: La Couronne; Sergal: Mississippi Riverboat and La Soleil Royal

Brian

Post by Brian » Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:52 pm

Thanks for the comments edmay, GaryM,
Not to sure about it going together real quick though, I am thinking it is going to take a while especially as I want to put more detail in than I did with the San Jaun (last build)
Didn't get to look at your article on tree nails Gary just went ahead and predrilled a 0.5mm hole and glued in the toothpicks, I can see why they are called tree nails now.
Attachments
10.jpg
Time consuming & fiddly job but worth it in the end
10.jpg (148.55 KiB) Viewed 3340 times
11.jpg
!st deck completed except for more varnish to go on.
11.jpg (157.2 KiB) Viewed 3340 times
12.jpg
The hull took a bit of planking, some very tight corners to negotiate.
12.jpg (152.09 KiB) Viewed 3340 times
13.jpg
13.jpg (152.13 KiB) Viewed 3340 times
14.jpg
Hit a minor problem when I came to fit the first of the cabins (boiler room) put together & glued prior to fitting, the locating notch was almost a full hole out.
This was easily resolve doubling up the thickness of the wall, making sure first his didn't effect anything later.
14.jpg (150.7 KiB) Viewed 3340 times
15.jpg
15.jpg (132.96 KiB) Viewed 3340 times
16.jpg
Jumped ahead a couple of stages again whilst waiting for glue to dry and have been putting the herringbone pattern to the 2nd deck, now it is not like me to show off my faulty workmanship but looking at this photo I thought something looks a little off it was then I noticed just above the 16cm mark I had put 2 planks together without the step.
If I hadn't photographed this I may have missed it.
The mistake has now been corrected (glad it wasn't in the middle of the deck)
16.jpg (141.53 KiB) Viewed 3340 times

GaryM

Post by GaryM » Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:25 pm

Nice job on the pattern.
Happy modeling,
Gary Maple

Completed: Amati: HMS Prince (old 1:78 version); Billings: Norske Love and Vasa; Mantua: La Couronne; Sergal: Mississippi Riverboat and La Soleil Royal

Brian

Post by Brian » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:48 am

Thought it was time for an update on my progress.
All 1st deck buildings now complete and glued into place and 2nd deck fitted.
Attachments
17.jpg
17.jpg (147.15 KiB) Viewed 3280 times

Brian

Post by Brian » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:36 am

This next picture shows the 1st deck buildings, door frames & doors took some time to complete, very fiddly :|
Attachments
18.jpg
18.jpg (141.72 KiB) Viewed 3278 times
18a.jpg
2nd deck fitted, and showing the location of my next job, the spiral staircase.
18a.jpg (147.97 KiB) Viewed 3278 times
19.jpg
This picture shows the supplied 1.5mm pre-cut hand rails, just too flimsy to bend into shape & if soaked first just fell apart.
19.jpg (146.2 KiB) Viewed 3278 times
20.jpg
Ended up removing the handrails and making up my own as shown.
20.jpg (130.4 KiB) Viewed 3278 times
21.jpg
The sides of the steps were first lined with short sections of basswood, the steps were then drilled to take toothpicks for the spindles and the handrails were made up with 2 layers Sapelli vaneer overlapping the joints to give extra strength.
Although not ideal, a little more work on this and a bit of paint and in my opinion the end result will be better than what was supplied.
21.jpg (150.5 KiB) Viewed 3278 times

GaryM

Post by GaryM » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:06 pm

Looks like you are making a fine model.
For items like the multi-layered items that must be bent, Amati make a heated plank bender. You can dip the wood in water for a couple of minutes only and then use the heat to bend and set the wood. The idea is not to wet the wood enough to let the glue start undoing but to cause a mild steam type of bending. Not sure if it would have worked on this model since the wood might have been to cheap. But might be of use on future work.
Happy modeling,
Gary Maple

Return to “SOS Build Logs from Kits - Wood”