Wappen von Hamburg by Corel

This Build Log Section is for Wood Ships. Enter your Build Log here. It is advisable for others to follow your Build Log to start your post such as "Build Log: HMS Ship name"
Andy
Seaman
Seaman

Wappen von Hamburg by Corel

Postby Andy » Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:39 pm

pan.jpg
pan.jpg (17.75 KiB) Viewed 2787 times

My most recent build, The Sovereign of the Seas, has been completed, The Wappen von Hamburg's box has been moved to the shed (AKA the Boatyard) and all tools have been cleaned. I guess it is time to get started.

For the past several weeks I have been admiring fifteen large format images of Corel's Wappen von Hamburg that I found on the internet. As inspiration I printed out 3 of the pictures, framed them, and hung them on the wall in the boatyard. (They can be seen in the picture above) The build is perfect and exhibits the kind of workmanship I have always hoped to achieve.

Today, I went back to the site and actually read the text. Imagine my surprise when I read that it took the builder thirteen years and eight thousand hours to complete the build. Right from the start I know I won't spend that amount of time, but I will do the best job I can. The link to the site is;

http://www.modelship...burg_I_1eng.htm

Time to take inventory and look over the instructions
Last edited by Andy on Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GaryM
Senoir Chief Petty Officer

Re: Wappen von Hamburg by Corel

Postby GaryM » Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:49 pm

This looks like a nice size model. Should prove fun.
Happy modeling,
Gary Maple

Problems are just challenges waiting for your solution.

Current build: Sergal Sovereign of the Seas
In Que: Sergal: Cutty Sark and Amerigo Vespucci; Billings Titanic
Completed: Amati: HMS Prince (old 1:78 version); Billings: Norske Love and Vasa; Mantua: La Couronne; Sergal: Mississippi Riverboat and La Soleil Royal
Andy
Seaman
Seaman

Postby Andy » Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:56 pm

Hi Gary,

It is a nice model, but given the 8000 hours on the pictures I viewed, its a little intimidating.

Look forward to seeing you soon.

Andy
GaryM

Postby GaryM » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:28 pm

The link on MSW works but this one doesn't.
Happy modeling,
Gary Maple

Completed: Amati: HMS Prince (old 1:78 version); Billings: Norske Love and Vasa; Mantua: La Couronne; Sergal: Mississippi Riverboat and La Soleil Royal
Andy
Seaman
Seaman

Postby Andy » Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:13 pm

Hi everyone,

I went out to the boatyard this morning eager to get started. I was immediately disappointed with the quality of the instructions. I was hoping for something better than the Sovereign of the Seas, but on first blush, these seem worse.

I then thought a good place to start would be some inventory taking, but quickly ran into pieces that were  unnumbered and difficult to identify from the parts list. Oh well, if this was easy, everyone would do it.

I do like the quality of what I've seen so far but OMG, I think this hull is single planked. I've never done that before, and I think I will have to upgrade my planking skills.
Attachments
DSC_3941.jpg
DSC_3941.jpg (28.92 KiB) Viewed 2757 times
Andy
Seaman
Seaman

Postby Andy » Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:30 pm

Right from the start, I have become confused about construction of the WvH. Thinking I might find some help by studying other build logs of the ship, I began an internet search. Much to my surprise, I couldn't find a single one of any use. "How can this be?", I asked. Corel is one of the largest kit manufacturers, and this is their most comprehensive kit!

To answer this question I have devised a multiple choice quiz, which you are urged to take.

Why are there no build logs of Corel's Wappen von Hamburg?
a.) The kit is way too expensive for what you get, and nobody buys it.
b.) Builders take one look at the directions, put them back in the box and put the box back
under the bed
c) Builders start construction, run afoul of the misleading and/or nonexistent instructions and
completely give up.
d) Nobody really wants to deal with a single planked hull.
e) All of the above.

A very wise man, Alexander Pope, wrote in a poem,"Fools rush in where angels fear to tread. As chief fool I have plunged headlong into the project. Since I only have the barest idea of where i am going, I have decided to trial fit as much as I can before actually doing anything permanent. More to follow.
Attachments
pic1.jpg
pic1.jpg (51.57 KiB) Viewed 2727 times
GaryM

Postby GaryM » Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:10 pm

That is too bad since Corel supposedly does some good research and seems to try to make a reasonably accurate model from what I have heard. I do believe that answer e is the correct one. This might be one of their first model attempts and have never gone back and updated it since. People have built a lot of their other ships and I have not seen any unusual complaints like this.
I have never built one of their models because I liked Mantua so much and have built mostly those. Once I finish the SoS, Cutty Sark and Amerigo Vespucci, I will not be doing any more of theirs since they are really cheapening their kits. Their Cutty is an example of a large drop in quality since they came out. My first one I lost in a fire and wanted to re-due it better. The new SoS kit did not clean up the errors since the grates are still to large, the rigging is wrong, their fleur de les are a joke, etc.
Manufactures should consult people who upgrade their models and correct their errors before they revise their kits. Laziness and poor management seems to run rapid in these companies and people deserve better.
Enough of my rant. Wish you luck.
Last edited by GaryM on Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Happy modeling,
Gary Maple

eric61
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Postby eric61 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:30 am

Hi Andy I too have not built any Corel kits, apart from Part kits the only "brand"kit I built was Billings' HMS Bounty (in the early Eighties) the part kit of the Endeavour by Eaglemoss of England is very good. The parts of the kit are made in Spain and have been stamped unlike the Victory and Sovereign of the Seas which are both laser cut and from China. Virtually all of the lasered edges are a pain to glue, I use a CA glue, which will sink into the wood, at times it takes four doses of glue to stop it sinking in.
The only, so far, problem I have with the Endeavour is that the transom does not fit (period!) and the starboard side is the thickness of two planks too narrow.

Good that you are dry fitting the pieces that way minor/major adjustments can be made, oh, and you multiple choice, answer is e.
Regards
Eric
Cook's Endeavour - current,
Sovereign of the Seas - current (deAgostini)
In queue: Marina II Fishing Boat by Artesania Latina
In queue: Mayflower by Model Shipways

"I was thinking then it all went blank!"
Andy
Seaman
Seaman

Postby Andy » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:52 am

Hi Gary,

I have every intention of working through the problems of the Corel kit, but I think you hit the nail on the head with your management comments. I don't know if anyone really pays the $1200+ asking price for the Wappen von Hamburg kit, but even at $600 I think you should expect a decent set of English instructions.

Andy
Andy
Seaman
Seaman

Postby Andy » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:59 am

Hi Eric,

You go to the head of the class because your answer is correct! Thanks for the comments, and I look forward to hearing from you again as I proceed along on this adventure in ship building.

Andy

Return to “SOS Build Logs from Kits - Wood”