Eric's Sovereign of the Seas

This Build Log Section is for Wood Ships. Enter your Build Log here. It is advisable for others to follow your Build Log to start your post such as "Build Log: HMS Ship name"

Moderators: Aussie048, zoly99sask

eric61
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Re: Eric's Sovereign of the Seas

Postby eric61 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:56 pm

Thanks Steve, I think the way I am planking the hull (of the SoS) is the most unconventional way ever. The Sovereign's first plankings are made of bamboo which will bend, curve and twist with the greatest of ease unlike the planking of the of the Victory (I'll come to that later). I will not be painting the Sov's hull at all, they supply lime wood which is the palest of pale. Herin lies a dilema, if the hull is second planked at the correct stage in build and not painted the hull will surely get dirty from handling, I've just had a :text-blondmoment: I can coat the hull then continue, ah! wisdom! it is such a great thing, I must remember to download some more.
With regards scale, on the Endeavour there are two blocks, single and double, but only one scale size. Singles are 2x3x4 mm, the model is 1/4 scale, if I was deft with two hemostats and a needle (as my dodctor is) I would have no trouble tying or threading a block.
The planking for the Victory (part build) is of very high quality and quite hard so bending the strips would be a problem, if using a plank bender (plier type) the creases would have to be very close.
Unfortunately I was unable to complete the Victory subscription, I have the complete false keel, lower and mid gundecks and some planking strips.
Sorry to have rambled on a bit.
Regards
Eric
Cook's Endeavour - current,
Sovereign of the Seas - current (deAgostini)
In queue: Marina II Fishing Boat by Artesania Latina
In queue: Mayflower by Model Shipways

"I was thinking then it all went blank!"
fragle123
Petty Officer Second Class
Petty Officer Second Class

Postby fragle123 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:26 am

Hi Eric
Iv'e not properly checked the sizes of my blocks but i do know they are too big for the scale of the gun carriages and like you i only have single and double perchase blocks but i think triple purchase blocks were used for hoisting the spars so will have to make some of those as well, with my first planking i'm using this to practice putting in droppers and stealers so the second layer will look better and more like how these ships were planked (well thats the idea anyway) wether it works out that way is another matter lol.
cheers steve
eric61
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Postby eric61 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:12 pm

Merry Christmas to everyone on the forum.
Regards
Eric, Heather, Christopher & Matthew Wall

CHRISTMAS GREETING.jpg
CHRISTMAS GREETING.jpg (93.93 KiB) Viewed 259 times
Cook's Endeavour - current,
Sovereign of the Seas - current (deAgostini)
In queue: Marina II Fishing Boat by Artesania Latina
In queue: Mayflower by Model Shipways

"I was thinking then it all went blank!"
Neophyte
Seaman
Seaman

Postby Neophyte » Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:30 pm

eric61 wrote:Merry Christmas to everyone on the forum.
Regards
Eric, Heather, Christopher & Matthew Wall

CHRISTMAS GREETING.jpg
Old school too.
MERRY CHRISTMAS
Rick
I've reached that age where my brain went from "you probably shouldn't say that" to "what tha hey, let's see what happens". :cool:

Return to “SOS Build Logs from Kits - Wood”