Build Log: Eaglemoss HMB/HMS Endeavour 1:48 Scale

This Build Log Section is for Wood Ships. Enter your Build Log here. It is advisable for others to follow your Build Log to start your post such as "Build Log: HMS Ship name"
eric61
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Postby eric61 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:51 pm

Stay tuned to this channel, coming soon
Attachments
DSC02231.JPG
DSC02231.JPG (147.32 KiB) Viewed 4866 times
DSC02232.JPG
DSC02232.JPG (139.84 KiB) Viewed 4866 times
Cook's Endeavour - current,
Sovereign of the Seas - current (deAgostini)
In queue: Marina II Fishing Boat by Artesania Latina
In queue: Mayflower by Model Shipways

"I was thinking then it all went blank!"
eric61
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Postby eric61 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:59 pm

PLEASE NOTE, THIS INFORMATION WAS COPIED FROM WIKIPEDIA AND EDITED SLIGHTLY, IT IS NOT MY OWN RESEARCH!

Endeavour was originally the merchant collier Earl of Pembroke, launched in June 1764 from the coal and whaling port of Whitby in North Yorkshire(not too far from where I was born). She was ship-rigged and sturdily built with a broad, flat bow, a square stern and a long box-like body with a deep hold.

The flat-bottomed design made her well-suited to sailing in shallow waters and allowed her to be beached for loading and unloading of cargo and for basic repairs without requiring a dry dock. Her hull, internal floors and futtocks were built from traditional white oak, her keel and stern post from elm and her masts from pine and fir. Plans of the ship also show a double keelson to lock the keel, floors and frames in place.

Some doubt exists about the height of her masts, as surviving diagrams of Endeavour depict the body of the vessel only, and not the mast plan. While her main and foremasts are accepted to be a standard 129 and 110 feet (39 and 34 m) respectively, an annotation on one surviving ship plan records the mizzen as "16 yards 29 inches" (15.4 m). If correct, this would produce an oddly truncated mast a full 9 feet (2.7 m) shorter than the standards of the day. Modern research suggests the annotation may be a transcription error and should read "19 yards 29 inches" (24.5 m), which would more closely conform with both the naval standards and the lengths of the other masts. The replica is built to this shorter measurement, as is the model in the National Maritime Museum in Greenwich.

On 16 February 1768, the Royal Society petitioned King George III to finance a scientific expedition to the Pacific to study and observe the 1769 transit of Venus across the sun. Royal approval was granted for the expedition, and the Admiralty elected to combine the scientific voyage with a confidential mission to search the south Pacific for signs of the postulated continent Terra Australis Incognita (or "unknown southern land").

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Endeavour
Attachments
Main Deck 1.JPG
For the lower decking I followed the plans and laboriously cut those annoying short planks but for the upper decks I laid the full length plank down and marked the joins with a stylus and then a soft pencil and used a 'fineliner' pen to mark the 'nails'. Heaps quicker neater too.
Main Deck 1.JPG (108.36 KiB) Viewed 4864 times

Donnie
Senoir Chief Petty Officer
Senoir Chief Petty Officer

Re: Build Log: Eaglemoss HMB/HMS Endeavour 1:48 Scale

Postby Donnie » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:14 am

Eric,

nice start on your build log. I am most sure that others will definitely tune in, including myself !

Donnie
Current Build Prep: Panart San Felipe 1:75
Completed Build: Santisima Trinidad

Main SOS Site: Ships of Scale Website

No Guts, No Glory !
popeye
Master Chief Petty Officer

Postby popeye » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:24 am

agreed..........nice start on your build. I see your not planking the bow section with the first planking........are you saving it for the second planking? this would make sense, since you've used the fillers for the bow. why waste the planking on an area that has already been shaped.
finished builds:
Nordkap 476 / Cux 87 / Gundalow
Mary Ann / Susan A. / M&M fun ship
Phylly C & Denny-Zen / AmericA
Andrea Gail

in cue:
Gothenborg
Half Moon
Boulogne Etaples
trawler Syborn
U.S.S. United States
Holiday Harbor
Titanic
eric61
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Postby eric61 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:22 pm

Thanks Donnie & Popeye.
To answer your question Popeye, the 'kit' comes with the ply pieces (about 1/8" thick) and the bow bow is built up, however, the pieces are not full pieces in other words they do not butt up against the keel piece, so when I glued them using a CA glue they shifted a bit consequently I will have to do a bit more sanding. The rudder end,duh!mind gone blank, transom I think, will post a picture soon, still has to be sanded back. That will give you an idea of the thickness. The finishing planks do go on to the bow former/s. The entire hull when finished will have a filler put on to it, tossing up between (what you call drywall)filler and car body filler, much harder but smoother.
We'll see when I get there. The outer planks @0.06mm thick are a wood called SAPELLI look a lot like mahogany, beautiful when varnished with clear. I have a stain varnish called 'New Golden Oak' which looks great on the 'white' timber and also give a deep luster to the sapelli.

eric61
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Postby eric61 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:49 am

The following shows fitting workable hinges onto the foredeck hatch. It took me about an hour to get it done! And there are two more hatches I want to do!!! something to do with lollypops and flogging.
Attachments
DSC02237.JPG
The drill bit is 0.55mm, the hinges pre-folded can be seen top left, these bits of copper were left over from a model I did in the 80/90's
DSC02237.JPG (123.59 KiB) Viewed 4842 times
DSC02238.JPG
DSC02238.JPG (113.48 KiB) Viewed 4842 times
DSC02239.JPG
Top hinges fitted, the nails were cut short.
DSC02239.JPG (112.26 KiB) Viewed 4842 times
DSC02240.JPG
Sorry the previous picture the hinges had not yet been nailed down
DSC02240.JPG (115.81 KiB) Viewed 4842 times
DSC02241.JPG
Worked just fine
DSC02241.JPG (111.86 KiB) Viewed 4842 times
DSC02242.JPG
I put a drop of CA on top of each nail, on the lid slightly too much came out so spread it over the hatch with my finger leaving a beautiful shine on the hatch as can be seen.
DSC02242.JPG (121.46 KiB) Viewed 4842 times

eric61
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Postby eric61 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:00 am

Some deck fittings I have put off for ages because they were too finnicky.
Attachments
DSC02235.JPG
The gadget that goes over the rudder hatch. I think it must have something to do with the toilet, because it is at the very back of the ship, hey, that's probably why they call it the POOP deck, hahahaha
DSC02235.JPG (96.63 KiB) Viewed 4841 times
DSC02236.JPG
The binnacle partly covered and thingy trimmed and sanded and has since had a support piece placed under the middle as per instructions.
DSC02236.JPG (110.52 KiB) Viewed 4841 times

eric61
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Postby eric61 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:10 pm

Regarding the forward hatch, the hinge pins when cut are 4mm long and after opening and closing the hatch a few times one of the pins fell out. I will post a picture of the finished hatch later today.

Eric

eric61
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Postby eric61 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:55 am

Ok, here are the pictures, I very carefully crimped the back part of the hinges to tighten them up a bit and the hatch now stays open at whatever angle. I still have to put a pull ring on the other end of hatch. I won't be able to do any thing for the next two days as I will be transporting dialysis clients to and from clinic and their homes.

BY THE WAY, does any one have any plans/drawings web links on where I can get a 1:48 scale slipway as used prior to launch, thanks in advance.

Eric
Attachments
DSC02243.JPG
DSC02243.JPG (119.18 KiB) Viewed 4823 times
DSC02244.JPG
DSC02244.JPG (117.79 KiB) Viewed 4823 times
DSC02245.JPG
DSC02245.JPG (119.91 KiB) Viewed 4823 times

popeye

Postby popeye » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:50 am

nice touch on the hold covers......I toyed with opening doors on a 1:33 scale fishing boat {Mary Ann - Billing's}. I haven't done much else with it though, considering how often I open and close the doors on it, which is hardly ever :)
it does add detail to the hinges though......and that's a good thing :) I have a few 1:30 scale build in my horizon.......I might do more with it then.

for wood, I use mostly basswood and Obechi. Billing kits are pretty big on these two, Obechi is an African wood {so I'm told} very rough, and not smooth by any sense of the word. I try to pre sand them before I use them, to cut down on the finish sanding. it doesn't bend as well either......best to bend them in a group, so to get a better shape. another woos that is a Billing's staple, is Annegre. this is a lighter color of mahogany.......and works really well for deck planking and second hull planking. the best wood used is wood that doesn't require a lot of sanding......but that's a pipe dream ;)

you've done a nice looking deck......have you fitted it out at all? looking forward in seeing more of your progress.
finished builds:
Nordkap 476 / Cux 87 / Gundalow
Mary Ann / Susan A. / M&M fun ship
Phylly C & Denny-Zen / AmericA
Andrea Gail

in cue:
Gothenborg
Half Moon
Boulogne Etaples
trawler Syborn
U.S.S. United States
Holiday Harbor