R.M.S.Titanic by Billing's

This Build Log Section is for Wood Ships. Enter your Build Log here. It is advisable for others to follow your Build Log to start your post such as "Build Log: HMS Ship name"

Moderator: zoly99sask

GaryM
Senoir Chief Petty Officer

R.M.S.Titanic by Billing's

Postby GaryM » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:35 pm

Since the level of detail a person may add and the availability and amount of research a person may chose to perform will vary with each modeler, the times I show are related to the actual work performed on the vessel. Each person’s ability to read and interpret plans can vary a great detail. Thus, the time reflects only that used to measure the plans for comparison on the vessel or to determine the size of wood used to make a part that is unclear and not listed in the instructions or on the plans separately. Hopefully, by doing this, a person can use this as a guide to determine the level of commitment necessary to compete this type of project or can use it to gauge how far along they are if building the same vessel.

This is a large kit with a lot of wood, some brass, photo-etched sheets and a few plastic parts.The size of the model is 1880 x 200 x 500 mm (74 x 7 7/8 x 19 3/4 inches) in 1:144 scale. There is no written instructions. There are pictures of every sheet of wood or brass with the part numbers added. There is a part list that is several pages long and many pages of the building stages with accompanying part numbers. Because of the smallness of the parts and the very delicately detailed photo-etched parts, this should make an interesting build. This is considered an expert kit.
Attachments
001a.JPG
001a.JPG (110.13 KiB) Viewed 3735 times
002a.JPG
002a.JPG (155.6 KiB) Viewed 3735 times
003a.JPG
003a.JPG (149.4 KiB) Viewed 3735 times
Last edited by GaryM on Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Happy modeling,
Gary Maple

Problems are just challenges waiting for your solution.

Current build: Sergal Sovereign of the Seas
In Que: Sergal: Cutty Sark and Amerigo Vespucci; Billings Titanic
Completed: Amati: HMS Prince (old 1:78 version); Billings: Norske Love and Vasa; Mantua: La Couronne; Sergal: Mississippi Riverboat and La Soleil Royal
jct
Petty Officer First Class
Petty Officer First Class

Re: R.M.S.Titanic by Billing's

Postby jct » Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:17 am

Should be very interesting, an iron vessel from wood
Current build -
In the queue -
Agilis, Steingraeber
HMB Endeavour, Corel
Harriot Lane, Model Shipways
Semi complete-
USS Niagara
Completed builds-
Half Moon, Corel
USN Picket Boat #1
popeye
Master Chief Petty Officer
Master Chief Petty Officer

Postby popeye » Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:05 am

there are some great tutorials for plating the hull......check out builds done by Nils. very nice kit........I especially like the photo etch. it's really going to add quite a bit to the build ;)
GaryM

Postby GaryM » Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:41 pm

At this scale, rivets would not show up and would be smaller than the # 80 drill bit. The detail of the photo-etched is so tiny that any rivet I would add would still be larger than the legs of the deck chairs or rail stations which are about 0.01" wide.
Happy modeling,
Gary Maple

Completed: Amati: HMS Prince (old 1:78 version); Billings: Norske Love and Vasa; Mantua: La Couronne; Sergal: Mississippi Riverboat and La Soleil Royal
StevieF
Petty Officer Second Class

Postby StevieF » Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:57 pm

That kit should keep you going for quite some time? I had better stock the beer fridge and relax in a comfy chair and just sit back and enjoy this build come together?
Steve..
CharlesEdward

Postby CharlesEdward » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:23 pm

I have often wondered about this kit myself. Since I have more free time now being semi-retired, I want to spend more time perusing these build logs as well as building kits. I thought that this was a huge model, and it looks like it is. I will keep an eye on this log.
JohnK aka Charles Edward
Current builds: Montanes, Albatross; Sao Miguel; Albatross; Wappen von Hamberg; Royal William.
Completed kits: Santa Maria; USS Dallas, Scottish Maid; Half Moon; Golden Hind, Yacht Mary; HMS Sharke.
edmay
Petty Officer Third Class
Petty Officer Third Class

Postby edmay » Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:09 am

Hello ,I also wondered if there was a mostly wood kit of the Titanic,It looks like a beautiful kit,good luck is not necessary for you are one accomplished builder and surely create a lot of attention from this site and MSW,you maybe have to invest in a popcorn machine and a bunch more chairs,bravo for getting the kit.Edwin :D
GaryM

Postby GaryM » Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:19 am

Thanks to all of you.
There was a problem with the kit during shipping to the USA and one error in the parts sheet pictures. I will hopefully have the problem solved soon since Billing's use to have good support. Since the company has a new owner, hopefully their warranty and service will continue.
Happy modeling,
Gary Maple

Rowan
Seaman
Seaman

Postby Rowan » Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:49 pm

Looks like an interesting build.
GaryM

Postby GaryM » Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:45 pm

Hello Rowan:
This is going to be a delicate build. I have noticed that about 10 of the railings were broken and damaged while in shipping to the USA. The kit was picked up at Ages of Sail, so no shipping after it arrived. The railings are very thin and the brass is very easy to bend out of alignment. Hopefully, Billings will send the information and replacement railings soon so I can actually start construction.
Happy modeling,
Gary Maple

Return to “SOS Build Logs from Kits - Wood”