SOS build log Baltimore Clipper Constructo Junior

This Build Log Section is for Wood Ships. Enter your Build Log here. It is advisable for others to follow your Build Log to start your post such as "Build Log: HMS Ship name"

Moderators: Aussie048, zoly99sask

popeye
Master Chief Petty Officer
Master Chief Petty Officer

Re: SOS build log Baltimore Clipper Constructo Junior

Post by popeye » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:14 am

yea......that's a tough hurdle. to show a mind that's moving at the speed of sound......a slow process. ;) I have two boys......they are both grown now, but neither one of them got into the medium. my oldest was into legos......the younger one fell into the video game craze.

looks like he's doing a great job...well done!

GaryM
Senoir Chief Petty Officer
Senoir Chief Petty Officer

Post by GaryM » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:29 am

That is a hard concept when you are young, but once you get them to finish a model and they get a chance to enjoy that high feeling of accomplishment, they begin to know what you do it for and appreciate it. The wait is worth it.
Happy modeling,
Gary Maple

Problems are just challenges waiting for your solution.

Current build: Sergal Sovereign of the Seas
In Que: Sergal: Cutty Sark and Amerigo Vespucci; Billings Titanic
Completed: Amati: HMS Prince (old 1:78 version); Billings: Norske Love and Vasa; Mantua: La Couronne; Sergal: Mississippi Riverboat and La Soleil Royal

jct
Petty Officer First Class

Post by jct » Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:14 pm

Glad to hear you've discovered a way to keep his interest, like Popeye neither of my boys stayed with the hobby, though a different medium, not enough instant gratification I guess. Nice work all the way around.
J
Current build -
In the queue -
Agilis, Steingraeber
HMB Endeavour, Corel
Harriot Lane, Model Shipways
Semi complete-
USS Niagara
Completed builds-
Half Moon, Corel
USN Picket Boat #1

Merchant65
Seaman
Seaman

Post by Merchant65 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:32 pm

We're working on it. A little at a time. He likes Legos also so incorporated the build aspect of Legos. He understood that

Merchant65
Seaman
Seaman

Post by Merchant65 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:48 pm

Letting him use a knife by himself for the first time. No blood he did pretty well
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (63.22 KiB) Viewed 1380 times

catopower

Post by catopower » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:11 pm

Hi Merchant65,

It looks to me like you are doing a great job guiding your son through the ship model process. I think you also picked the right subject. I know someone who was trying to guide his son on the Bounty build, also by Constructo Junior. Problem that I saw was that the ship had some open railing and it's hard for a kid to understand how to make those things sturdy enough for him to work around. He proudly made them, but then they'd discouragingly break off.

I think the solid bulwarks of your model are better. Also, the masting and rigging of a schooner are fairly straight forward and not too fragile in comparison with something with a bunch of yard arms.

It's hard to keep a kids interest, but you are doing well. If nothing else comes of it, he will have had some great lessons on the value of patience, which is tough to teach in these days of instant gratification.

Clare

Return to “SOS Build Logs from Kits - Wood”