Build Log: San Juan Spanish Galleon S.XVI-Artesinia Latina

This Build Log Section is for Wood Ships. Enter your Build Log here. It is advisable for others to follow your Build Log to start your post such as "Build Log: HMS Ship name"

Moderator: zoly99sask

Brian
Petty Officer Third Class

Build Log: San Juan Spanish Galleon S.XVI-Artesinia Latina

Postby Brian » Wed May 14, 2014 9:38 am

Hi, this is a 1:30 scale model and will measure L:520 x H:615 x W:126 when completed.
Being a newbie this is my first attempt at a wooden ship but have previously completed two plastic models (Revell's "Batavia" and Airfix's "HMS Victory") just as a trail run really.

I am starting this log having already completed over half the ship, had I known I was going to be doing a build log I would of taken more and perhaps better photo's.

Not sure about anywhere else in the world but I had real problem getting a ship to build that I could buy outright and not enter into a subscription receiving a few parts every couple of weeks or so (far too expensive that way) having been let down by 2 suppliers I eventually found this ship and upon opening the box was impressed with the quality, all the laser cut sheets were cleanly cut but I did find out its better to sand the burnt edges down as the glue doesn't seem to stick so well.
Attachments
SAM_0171.jpg
The kit laid out, 354 different parts.
SAM_0171.jpg (51.19 KiB) Viewed 5008 times
SAM_0174.jpg
SAM_0174.jpg (100.46 KiB) Viewed 5008 times
SAM_0175.jpg
All the ribs went together with only a little sanding to the joints.
I did use clamps & squared them up but not shown here.
SAM_0175.jpg (125.19 KiB) Viewed 5002 times
SAM_0176.jpg
SAM_0176.jpg (139.13 KiB) Viewed 5002 times
SAM_0177.jpg
Jumped ahead a bit now, not having kept a full photographic record of my build.
One thing I have learnt this week since joining is that others have cut their planking to shorter lengths and added caulking to the edges, which I shall do next time, might even do treenails (had never heard of these before this week)
SAM_0177.jpg (148.91 KiB) Viewed 5002 times
SAM_0178.jpg
SAM_0178.jpg (154.42 KiB) Viewed 5002 times
SAM_0179.jpg
SAM_0179.jpg (120.68 KiB) Viewed 5002 times
Last edited by Brian on Wed May 14, 2014 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Donnie
Senoir Chief Petty Officer

Re: Build Log: San Juan Spanish Galleon S.XVI-Artesinia Lati

Postby Donnie » Wed May 14, 2014 9:48 am

I agree - very nice layout of parts.

Donnie

you can follow this link to some beewax of which I have been using for quite some time. Really nice stuff. 100% natural. takes all the fuzziness out of the rigging line. Makes rigging line stiffer to manage.

http://www.amazon.com/100%25-ORGANIC-Ha ... ds=beeswax
Current Build Prep: Panart San Felipe 1:75
Completed Build: Santisima Trinidad

Main SOS Site: Ships of Scale Website

No Guts, No Glory !
popeye
Master Chief Petty Officer

Postby popeye » Wed May 14, 2014 9:54 am

glad to see you started a build log.....looks like a very nice kit. I'll look forward in seeing some pictures of your progress.
Brian

Postby Brian » Wed May 14, 2014 10:02 am

Thanks for the tip on the Beeswax Donnie, I had noticed when looking at other build logs that the rigging line looked stiffer, I now know how, will have to get some of that.

And thanks Popeye for your comment, just trying to find out how to continue my log and add more photo's.
GaryM

Postby GaryM » Wed May 14, 2014 12:44 pm

If you want to do treenails, read my article on this site so that you get them the right size. The scale of this model would be one that treenails would have been OK on.
I have seen where people say that bees wax contains acid and will destroy the rigging. I have a model that I rigged 35 years ago and it shows no sign of deterioration.
I like the way AL does the instruction. They do seem to make some nice kits. Do the parts fit together well? I noticed that there was no lateral bracing to help keep the frames at 90 degrees. Hope it stays well as you plank the sides.
Happy modeling,
Gary Maple

Problems are just challenges waiting for your solution.

Current build: Sergal Sovereign of the Seas
In Que: Sergal: Cutty Sark and Amerigo Vespucci; Billings Titanic
Completed: Amati: HMS Prince (old 1:78 version); Billings: Norske Love and Vasa; Mantua: La Couronne; Sergal: Mississippi Riverboat and La Soleil Royal
Brian

Postby Brian » Thu May 15, 2014 5:18 am

My actual build is on hold at the moment whilst I await delivery of some new reading glasses, and the Beeswax which I ordered yesterday, this will give me a chance to bring my log up to date.
GaryM, I will check out your article on treenails, but for a future build, too late for this one now me thinks.
As for the instructions that came with this kit, they were fine up to section 16, with step by step instructions and photo's to suit, then all of a sudden sections 17 to 23 all it says is follow the remaining photo's to complete the hull.
As for the masts, rigging & sails its down to following drawings again and using the itemised parts list.
This is where my build is up to at the moment, hence the reason for looking for help from you guys.
Oh well enough complaining, if this project was going to be quick & easy I would of finished already and looking for something else to do :)
On with my log.
Attachments
SAM_0180.jpg
This is where I added the bulwarks and started the first planking of the hull, and where my first real problem arose, the forecastle deck (already planked & glued in) was away from the bulwark by about 10mm at the widest part and try as I may could not get the bulwark to bend in to it so decided to add some extra ply & planking to each side, taking the deck out to where the bulwark sat comfortably, sorry no photo of this but it does look ok honest.
SAM_0180.jpg (142.83 KiB) Viewed 4990 times
SAM_0190.jpg
First planking of hull completed, now for filling & sanding.
SAM_0190.jpg (138.95 KiB) Viewed 4990 times
SAM_0191.jpg
It was here that I wished I had pre-bent the 2 halves of the bow section, had a real problem getting these to the right shape and staying there whilst the glue dried.
SAM_0191.jpg (148.24 KiB) Viewed 4990 times
SAM_0193.jpg
Right, next job was to get the second planking on, used a contact adhesive here which is what is recommended, but used a timed one that will come back off and on again if needed.
notice the clamps & tape on the bow sections trying to bend then in gradually without snapping them off.
SAM_0193.jpg (143.29 KiB) Viewed 4990 times
SAM_0194.jpg
SAM_0194.jpg (146.41 KiB) Viewed 4990 times
SAM_0196.jpg
Second planking completed, thank goodness.
SAM_0196.jpg (141.97 KiB) Viewed 4990 times
SAM_0195.jpg
Finally did manage to get the 2 sides of the bow to stop together, looking a bit rough there but the end result is better.
SAM_0195.jpg (147.6 KiB) Viewed 4990 times
SAM_0198.jpg
Looks a bit lop sided here, just not sitting right in temp. stand
SAM_0198.jpg (138.99 KiB) Viewed 4990 times
SAM_0199.jpg
SAM_0199.jpg (135.34 KiB) Viewed 4990 times
SAM_0200.jpg
This was fun filled couple of hours, decided to paint all the balustrades before fitting, easier that way.
SAM_0200.jpg (144.09 KiB) Viewed 4990 times
SAM_0202.jpg
Ran out of African Walnut used for the frame of the hatch covers, so used some of the Mahogany veneer onto the wood used for the first planking, not perfect but passable, to me anyway.
SAM_0202.jpg (147.29 KiB) Viewed 4990 times
SAM_0203.jpg
SAM_0203.jpg (137.38 KiB) Viewed 4990 times
popeye

Postby popeye » Thu May 15, 2014 10:44 am

your build looks pretty sweet Brian.........the two tone of the different woods, is always pleasing to the eye. the way the decks situate is very well done. very nice accents! ;-)
Brian

Postby Brian » Thu May 15, 2014 10:57 am

Next set of photo's brings my build up to date, and am currently creating the masts, main yards & top yards fastening on all the necessary blocks & pulley's.
This is where I got stuck trying to thread two double pulley's together, found a needle small enough to go through the holes, but then the eye of the needle was too small to take the supplied cotton 0.15mm.
I have today sat and re-drilled all of the blocks out, double to 0.8mm and single's to 1mm,
just waiting for my beeswax to arrive now so that I can carry on.
Attachments
SAM_0204.jpg
SAM_0204.jpg (147.89 KiB) Viewed 4982 times
SAM_0213.jpg
Had a bit of trouble here when fitting the cannons, had to file some of the metal away on some of the portholes to get the cannons to sit flat.
SAM_0213.jpg (148.34 KiB) Viewed 4982 times
SAM_0214.jpg
SAM_0214.jpg (142.63 KiB) Viewed 4982 times
SAM_0215.jpg
SAM_0215.jpg (133.38 KiB) Viewed 4982 times
Brian

Postby Brian » Thu May 15, 2014 11:11 am

Thanks for your comments Popeye, praise is always well received, I am very happy with the ship so far.
Just looked at when I started this build according to the time stamp on the first photo it was 1st April, so about 6 to 7 weeks to get to this stage, build will slow down now though that I am on the masts & rigging stage.
popeye

Postby popeye » Thu May 15, 2014 1:35 pm

it looks superb Brian.........your recent pictures, with all the fittings, really gives her a lot of detail. you've done a great job.

what I do with the tips of my thread, is dab on a bit of CA and pass it between my fingers.......give it a nice stiff tip for rigging the blocks. to rig double blocks, you need to map the direction that the thread need to go {I trace it on paper - draw myself diagrams}. this way I won't cross threads.

Return to “SOS Build Logs from Kits - Wood”