Mantua Sergal's Cutty Sark

This Build Log Section is for Wood Ships. Enter your Build Log here. It is advisable for others to follow your Build Log to start your post such as "Build Log: HMS Ship name"
Donnie
Senoir Chief Petty Officer

Re: Mantua Sergal's Cutty Sark

Postby Donnie » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:10 am

I have to hand it to the folks that can build more than one ship. I have enough stamina just to do one ! By the way, I remember building the plastic version of this when I was about 20 to 21 years old. Of course, I knew nothing - absolutely nothing about ships, terms, rigging. Somehow it got built. It was the larger Revell box - as it was about 24" if I could remember. In the back of my mind, I have always wanted to go back and build another one, except do it in wood.

Looks great just like any other model you build Gary.

Donnie
Current Build Prep: Panart San Felipe 1:75
Completed Build: Santisima Trinidad

Main SOS Site: Ships of Scale Website

No Guts, No Glory !
Canoe21
Petty Officer Third Class
Petty Officer Third Class

Postby Canoe21 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:01 am

Hello Gary

Great job you are doing on your Cutty Sark, I have always loved the graceful lines of that ship. I built the Billings version around 10 years ago and it seams like yesterday. I still sit back and admire her almost daily. I have a frend in England who went down to visit her over Christmas and he sent me one picture to droul over that I will try to attach, ENJOY.

Regards Canoe21 { Lawrence }
Attachments
post-96-0-23657800-1483212068.jpg
post-96-0-23657800-1483212068.jpg (66.51 KiB) Viewed 48 times
canoe21 { Lawrence }
Present build - HMS Bounty, scratch build, scale 1:60, using Amati build plans
GaryM

Postby GaryM » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:38 pm

Thanks. She is still a pretty ship today. Have to finish the Mantua Sovereign of the Seas before proceeding on this one.
Happy modeling,
Gary Maple

Problems are just challenges waiting for your solution.

Current build: Sergal Sovereign of the Seas
In Que: Sergal: Cutty Sark and Amerigo Vespucci; Billings Titanic
Completed: Amati: HMS Prince (old 1:78 version); Billings: Norske Love and Vasa; Mantua: La Couronne; Sergal: Mississippi Riverboat and La Soleil Royal
GemmaJF
Petty Officer First Class
Petty Officer First Class

Postby GemmaJF » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:39 pm

Be nice to see you pick-up on this one Gary when the time is right. I have a very lasting memory of school trip to see the Cutty Sark as a child. There was a group consensus that any such trip would be boring and we as children should act accordingly. In reality the whole experience blew my mind and perhaps has more than a little to do with why I am taking up ship modeling now in my 50's. :D : I can still remember standing at the bottom of the masts thinking, wow, did people really go up there while this huge thing was out on the high seas, total awe at the whole concept of sailing ships that never left me.
Current Build: ZHL Black Pearl 1:50

Next Up: Billing Boats Bounty 1:50

Researching for POB scratch build : HMS Ferret 1:48 (1711)

Projects: Arduino Lighting Project

Return to “SOS Build Logs from Kits - Wood”