Mantua Sergal's Cutty Sark

This Build Log Section is for Wood Ships. Enter your Build Log here. It is advisable for others to follow your Build Log to start your post such as "Build Log: HMS Ship name"
GaryM
Senoir Chief Petty Officer

Mantua Sergal's Cutty Sark

Postby GaryM » Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:56 pm

Since the level of detail a person may add and the availability and amount of research a person may chose to perform will vary with each modeler, the times I show are related to the actual work performed on the vessel. Each person’s ability to read and interpret plans can vary a great detail. Thus, the time reflects only that used to measure the plans for comparison on the vessel or to determine the size of wood used to make a part that is unclear and not listed in the instructions or on the plans separately. Hopefully, by doing this, a person can use this as a guide to determine the level of commitment necessary to compete this type of project or can use it to gauge how far along they are if building the same vessel.

I have got the first planking of the Cutty Sark done so it is time to post some pictures. At this stage I have 60 construction hours and over 100 parts. The newer kits use 1.5 mm balsa strips for the first planking and the second planking is 1 mm walnut strips. The balsa makes bending easy and on a streamline vessel like this, no soaking or heating is required. I do not think this would be a good planking material for earlier vessels that are not streamlined for speed like this one. Sanding is also very fast even when using 320 grit as I did.
Attachments
001a.JPG
001a.JPG (110.11 KiB) Viewed 3412 times
002a.JPG
002a.JPG (96.72 KiB) Viewed 3412 times
003a.JPG
003a.JPG (104.83 KiB) Viewed 3412 times
Last edited by GaryM on Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:10 am, edited 3 times in total.
Happy modeling,
Gary Maple

Problems are just challenges waiting for your solution.

Current build: Sergal Sovereign of the Seas
In Que: Sergal: Cutty Sark and Amerigo Vespucci; Billings Titanic
Completed: Amati: HMS Prince (old 1:78 version); Billings: Norske Love and Vasa; Mantua: La Couronne; Sergal: Mississippi Riverboat and La Soleil Royal
catopower
Petty Officer First Class

Re: Mantua Cutty Sark

Postby catopower » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:57 pm

Hi Gary,

Very nice looking hull! I bet it feels good not to have to worry about cannons, gunports, lids, castings, wales for a change :D

Congratulations on the first post of your build. I'm looking forward to the updates.

Clare
Donnie

Postby Donnie » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:08 am

Hi Gary,
I look forward to watching this one too.

Donnie
Current Build Prep: Panart San Felipe 1:75
Completed Build: Santisima Trinidad

Main SOS Site: Ships of Scale Website

No Guts, No Glory !
GaryM

Postby GaryM » Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:57 pm

Thanks. If I had cannons, I sure would not have use the balsa for planking. They would surely destroy the lines of this ship. :lol:
Happy modeling,
Gary Maple

Completed: Amati: HMS Prince (old 1:78 version); Billings: Norske Love and Vasa; Mantua: La Couronne; Sergal: Mississippi Riverboat and La Soleil Royal
catopower

Postby catopower » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:20 pm

By the way, Gary, are you sure it's Balsa? I've never heard of kits being stocked with Balsa planking before. My HMS Victory is a current kit and it's still using lime or basswood. At least that's what it looks and feels like. Anyway, the planking job is great.

Clare
GaryM

Postby GaryM » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:27 pm

There was a time when they used balsa. In the kit it said they were substituting balsa and gave a card that said let them know what you think about it. My plans say 1994. Maybe they got enough negative comments that they stop using it. I pick this kit up on eBay and includes the sail that only cost $80.00 then. I wish that still included the old rail ball stanchions that were metal instead of photo etched and the metal bulwark supports and metal sides. This cheapened the kit and made it less authentic. Thus, when we meet next, I will be going over to Ages of Sail since Billings still has the stanchions and maybe some other parts that work better. Also will be looking at the Billings Titanic kit that will take a 78 inch case to fit it.
Happy modeling,
Gary Maple

popeye
Master Chief Petty Officer

Postby popeye » Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:43 pm

your making me jealous......bad enough I'd love to get the Warrior, but the admiral saw the Titanic and commented how that would be a good build for me.
then I told her how much it cost.... and that brought her to earth.

I wonder if that would pose a problem, when you go for the second planking...the balsa will certainly absorb a lot of the cement. sweet looking hull Gary ;-)
finished builds:
Nordkap 476 / Cux 87 / Gundalow
Mary Ann / Susan A. / M&M fun ship
Phylly C & Denny-Zen / AmericA
Andrea Gail

in cue:
Gothenborg
Half Moon
Boulogne Etaples
trawler Syborn
U.S.S. United States
Holiday Harbor
Titanic
GaryM

Postby GaryM » Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:05 am

I have got a few of the walnut planks on the ship and Titebond III seems to be working great. However I am glad I buy it in gallon size. :lol:
Happy modeling,
Gary Maple

GaryM

Postby GaryM » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:19 pm

I just found out that Mantua still makes the ball stanchions and they make the deadeye plates that simulate the way the deadeyes were done on the real vessel.
I just placed an order for these and hopefully will get them before I need them. I realize that it takes for ever for Mantua to fill orders but I should be able to have several months worth of work before requiring the parts. I can build the deck house, plank the lifeboats and find other work needed while waiting for the deadeye straps.
Happy modeling,
Gary Maple

popeye

Postby popeye » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:00 am

sounds like a good plan........yea, you'll have plenty to do before then ;-)
finished builds:
Nordkap 476 / Cux 87 / Gundalow
Mary Ann / Susan A. / M&M fun ship
Phylly C & Denny-Zen / AmericA
Andrea Gail

in cue:
Gothenborg
Half Moon
Boulogne Etaples
trawler Syborn
U.S.S. United States
Holiday Harbor