H.M.S. Victory - Mantua/Panart 1:78 Scale

This Build Log Section is for Wood Ships. Enter your Build Log here. It is advisable for others to follow your Build Log to start your post such as "Build Log: HMS Ship name"
Donnie
Senoir Chief Petty Officer

Re: H.M.S. Victory - Mantua/Panart 1:78 Scale

Postby Donnie » Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:52 am

Clare,
I have a three part question.
1) is this a home made iron or the one that is bought already made ?
2) you must have had a "form" to go by and the gratings were wet when you did this?
3) So, the curvature of the gratings must match that of the curvature of the deck?

Yep, the details is what makes the model really stand out.
Donnie
Current Build Prep: Panart San Felipe 1:75
Completed Build: Santisima Trinidad

Main SOS Site: Ships of Scale Website

No Guts, No Glory !
catopower
Petty Officer First Class
Petty Officer First Class

Postby catopower » Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:56 am

Hi Donnie,

As I mentioned in my post, I just used an electric plank bender. I have a couple of them, both of which I purchased. One's an old Aeropiccola model and the other is the one the Amati version that Ages of Sail sells. The Amati one has a wider roller-style head, which covers more area at a time. The Amati is the one I used for these.

I didn't use a form, I just propped up one side of the grating so there was room to bend as I went over it with the plank bender. They were not wet. The hot iron simply softened the glue just a enough to allow the bend, and the heat was enough to allow the wood to bend. Yeah, I was pretty surprised that it worked without any broken gratings. And I just eyeballed the amount of curvature.

As for matching the deck camber, I think if you look through a few good resources, you'll notice that the gratings often curved more than the deck camber. I think it depended on the era and the nationality. I believe the curvature was more extreme on the upper decks and less extreme on the lower ones. I'm not sure if this was anything more than a style, as I know of no function for the extra curvature.

Of course, if you have any significant curvature of the gratings, the hatch coamings would need to be made to match them.

Hope that answers your questions.

Clare
Sgtmik
Petty Officer Second Class
Petty Officer Second Class

Postby Sgtmik » Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:11 pm

You really do beautiful work. :handgestures-thumbup: :text-woo: I like how you put in your thoughts on the direction of your build and what you wanted to achieve. :geek: :geek: :geek:
:handgestures-salute:
Regards
Mike

Current Builds : HMAV Bounty
Caravel Santa Maria
Completed builds: HMS Bounty's Jolly Boat
H.M. Bark Endeavour
Builds in Cue: H.M.S. Endeavour's Long Boat
U.S.S. Constitution
newmansa01

Postby newmansa01 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:20 pm

Hi Clare,
I'm new to the forum and just started on a build less than a month ago (see my beginning build log on here), and will be looking at your log with great interest, since I'm also building the HMS Victory. Like yours, it's a Mantua kit, but it's 1:98 and it's also a kit that was made in 1980(!). I stumbled across this kit at a hobby store--still not quite sure how they came to be selling a wooden kit that was copyrighted in 1971. It's a very well made kit, with a lot of good features, but the instruction leaves a lot to be desired. There are 13 pages of ship PLANS, which are very detailed, but very little instruction along the lines of, "glue there here... attach this assembly there..."
Fortunately, I have an engineering background and a lot of both wood working experience (and tools), and plastic model kit building experience from when I was much younger. So, I'm figuring out the "How To" as I go along and having fun with it.
One thing I'm eager to find on this forum is some examples showing how masts are attached to the frames of these wooden models? In real ships, the masts extended all the way down through the decks to the keel and were integrally attached to the ships frame. But I get the impression that a lot of model kits don't have such a stout connection in their designs. My plans give virtually no guidance at all on this matter. They give the impression that the dowels used for masts extend below the upper deck level and on down to a rather substantial 'T' beam that runs the length of the ship, just above the keel (good and sturdy design... I like it). I'm thinking of using a drill to place a shallow hole in the top of the beam so that when I'm ready to attach it I can apply glue to the end and push it down through the decks to the hole in the beam. I may even see if the hardware store sells some sort of round collar of the correct size that I can screw onto the T Beam.
Anyways, I'm open to comments and suggestions from anyone on this matter. Good luck with your build... as I assume you are still under construction right now.
Building HMS Victory, 1:98 Scale
GaryM

Postby GaryM » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:42 pm

You are correct that the main mast goes down to the keel area at the bottom of the ship. The others may not go as deep on this piece of wood used to attach the frames but still have a solid foundation of similar design.
Happy modeling,
Gary Maple

Problems are just challenges waiting for your solution.

Current build: Sergal Sovereign of the Seas
In Que: Sergal: Cutty Sark and Amerigo Vespucci; Billings Titanic
Completed: Amati: HMS Prince (old 1:78 version); Billings: Norske Love and Vasa; Mantua: La Couronne; Sergal: Mississippi Riverboat and La Soleil Royal

Return to “SOS Build Logs from Kits - Wood”