Build Log: Albatros 1840 Baltimore 1:55 Scale Constructo

This Build Log Section is for Wood Ships. Enter your Build Log here. It is advisable for others to follow your Build Log to start your post such as "Build Log: HMS Ship name"

Moderators: Aussie048, zoly99sask

Nandaki
Seaman
Seaman

Build Log: Albatros 1840 Baltimore 1:55 Scale Constructo

Post by Nandaki » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:11 pm

Setting up an area where I can work on the ship and reading through the instructions in the booklet provided. I purchased some of the tools and consumables that I saw fit to get me through the hull building stage.

I also purchased Ship Modeling Simplified: Tips and Techniques for Model Construction from Kits by Frank Mastini to get me through any growing pains I might have and intend to read that before working on the hull.

One of the initial questions I had was regarding varnishing the wood. The instructions mention the process but do not (from my first glance) mention when in the process of building, to varnish that portion of the built ship. So I wondering if any of you had an opinion or advice regarding that?

Regards,

Nandaki
Attachments
Day 0.jpg
Initial Setup and Reading of Instructions
Day 0.jpg (95.67 KiB) Viewed 4232 times

GaryM
Senoir Chief Petty Officer

Re: Build Log: Albatros 1840 Baltimore 1:55 Scale Constructo

Post by GaryM » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:14 am

Varnish is something you apply when you have attached everything that will need an unfinished surface to provide support for glue, especially in areas that will have stress. This would include ring bolts, fife rails, etc. It would be applied as soon as possible for protection. Thus, you will have to look ahead to find everything required before you seal it.
Happy modeling,
Gary Maple

Problems are just challenges waiting for your solution.

Current build: Sergal Sovereign of the Seas
In Que: Sergal: Cutty Sark and Amerigo Vespucci; Billings Titanic
Completed: Amati: HMS Prince (old 1:78 version); Billings: Norske Love and Vasa; Mantua: La Couronne; Sergal: Mississippi Riverboat and La Soleil Royal

Nandaki
Seaman
Seaman

Post by Nandaki » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:29 am

Thank you Gary, that makes a lot of sense now.

otrax01
Petty Officer First Class

Post by otrax01 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:42 am

Nandaki, good luck on your build. I joined this forum about a year ago and I'm on my first build. I have learned so much from the people on this site. I'm still making a lot of mistakes, but I have learned that I love this hobbie and I won't be making those same mistakes next time. Looking forward to your build log, also I agree with Gary, glue dosen't stick very well to varnish.
Kent
Remember, When your out in the shop, Ship Happens!

klarre
Seaman
Seaman

Post by klarre » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:34 am

Hi Nandaki,

This ship was an alternative to my Bluenose II that I recently bought as a first ship. Looking forward to follow your progress to see what I "missed" by not picking this one. ;)

Good luck! :)

/Klarre

Nandaki
Seaman
Seaman

Post by Nandaki » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:27 pm

Greetings!

I received my book today and did some preliminary reading to make sure I have all the tools I will need and for any tips on things like clamps to hold the keel (which I have seen many of you do in the pictures put up) etc.

So I hope to work in stages as I do not want to end up reading it like a textbook and so once I have absorbed what I can on building the hull and attaching the deck I will proceed with the actual construction. Hopefully this weekend.

I do have another question though. Both the book and instruction booklet suggest buying something to heat and bend the planks, but I have read on here that just soaking the planks will make it pliable to bending and attaching on the frames. Is it a matter of experience or is it not worth investing in a plank bender for this kit?

Regards,

Nandaki

otrax01

Post by otrax01 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:12 am

Nandaki if the bends are not to drastic, soaking works (this is what I did for my build). However reading the more experienced builder's logs most of them did use a bending tool. On my next build I plan on buying a heat bender. My next ship will be the Victory and there are some real sharp bends in that hull
Kent
Remember, When your out in the shop, Ship Happens!

GaryM

Post by GaryM » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:56 am

That is what I use is the Amati heated plank bender. It works great but takes a while to learn the type of pressure to use without breaking the plank. It is like all ship modeling in that it takes patience rather than brute force to get a good result.
Happy modeling,
Gary Maple

Problems are just challenges waiting for your solution.

Current build: Sergal Sovereign of the Seas
In Que: Sergal: Cutty Sark and Amerigo Vespucci; Billings Titanic
Completed: Amati: HMS Prince (old 1:78 version); Billings: Norske Love and Vasa; Mantua: La Couronne; Sergal: Mississippi Riverboat and La Soleil Royal

jct

Post by jct » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:20 am

Welcome Nandaki,
I'm too am looking forward to following your build, I'm sure you find all the support and assistance you need, the folks on this forum are great. Just remember to enjoy your model building experience.
THX
J :cool:
Current build -
In the queue -
Agilis, Steingraeber
HMB Endeavour, Corel
Harriot Lane, Model Shipways
Semi complete-
USS Niagara
Completed builds-
Half Moon, Corel
USN Picket Boat #1

Nandaki
Seaman
Seaman

Post by Nandaki » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:35 pm

Today I officially started on the model. I am trying to be slow and methodical about this so I am expecting to take much more time than I think I would take normally. However, with some the questions I have, I figure it is better to wait on some clarification before moving forward.

I dry fitted the bulkheads (barring two) to the keel to check for consistency and alignment. I do intend to check for symmetry and 90 degree angles to the keel later, but my primary goal was to size up the bulkheads to the keel.

Two issues that jumped straight out -
  • 1. While all the bulkheads did not fit flush against the keel at the top, the bulkhead at the stern end sticks out quite a bit.
    2. The sheet containing the false deck and the bulwark seems pretty distorted.
So while the remaining bulkheads, I can sand down, I was wondering if any of you had a suggestion for the last one. Do I need to cut a portion off before sanding or just sand by way to the right dimension.

As for the distortion of the false deck, I am open to any suggestion as I am not quite sure how I'd go about it.

I attached some pictures to give you context.

Regards,

Nandaki
Attachments
Distorted False Deck.jpg
It is rolled along the diagonal axis.
Distorted False Deck.jpg (93.13 KiB) Viewed 4179 times
Dry Fit - Bulkheads.jpg
You can see how much higher it sits that the other bulkheads
Dry Fit - Bulkheads.jpg (156.75 KiB) Viewed 4179 times

Return to “SOS Build Logs from Kits - Wood”