Bluenose II (Constructo, 1:135) by Klarre

This Build Log Section is for Wood Ships. Enter your Build Log here. It is advisable for others to follow your Build Log to start your post such as "Build Log: HMS Ship name"

Moderators: Aussie048, zoly99sask

klarre
Seaman
Seaman

Bluenose II (Constructo, 1:135) by Klarre

Post by klarre » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:22 pm

Hello everyone,

Just received my first wood model ever - The Bluenose II. The Bluenose was a Canadian fishing and racing schooner. In 1946 she got stuck and abandoned on a reef outside of Haiti. The wreck has not been found but a Bluenose II was built in 1963 using the original plans.

This kit from Constructo is supposed to be pretty easy to build, even though it doesn't look that easy to me. ;)

I'm very excited to get started, and expect some pictures the forthcoming days. :)

/Klarre
Attachments
bluenoseii_0.jpg
bluenoseii_0.jpg (105.65 KiB) Viewed 5761 times
bluenoseii_1.jpg
bluenoseii_1.jpg (105.68 KiB) Viewed 5761 times
bluenoseii_2.jpg
bluenoseii_2.jpg (103.16 KiB) Viewed 5761 times
hardware.jpg
hardware.jpg (99.03 KiB) Viewed 5761 times

catopower
Petty Officer First Class

Re: Bluenose II (Constructo, 1:135) by Klarre

Post by catopower » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:55 pm

Congratulations on getting your first ship model kit, Klarre!

Looks like it's going to be a fun build.

What do you think about the tools that were included? I know the set you bought will far exceed what came in the kit, but I'm just curious what came with it and what you think of them.

Clare

GaryM
Senoir Chief Petty Officer
Senoir Chief Petty Officer

Post by GaryM » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:13 pm

Looks like you may have a preformed hull but it gets planked over. Should be an interesting kit to put together and a good choice for a first kit.
Happy modeling,
Gary Maple

Problems are just challenges waiting for your solution.

Current build: Sergal Sovereign of the Seas
In Que: Sergal: Cutty Sark and Amerigo Vespucci; Billings Titanic
Completed: Amati: HMS Prince (old 1:78 version); Billings: Norske Love and Vasa; Mantua: La Couronne; Sergal: Mississippi Riverboat and La Soleil Royal

klarre
Seaman
Seaman

Post by klarre » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:20 pm

Thanks Clare!

The nipper and pliers feels like a good complement to my kit and will be useful. I'm more skeptical to the sanding tools. Both are very jagged and I'm not sure where I'm supposed to use these, because if I use them on the hull I need to be extremely careful. On the other hand I'm a beginner so maybe it makes sense when I start working with them. But I will replace the sanding paper with a more soft one to start with.
Attachments
tools.jpg
tools.jpg (81.22 KiB) Viewed 5756 times

Donnie
Master Chief Petty Officer

Post by Donnie » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:46 pm

Congratulations Klarre on your new schooner ! The box contents really look very well made. I am sure that your Bluenose will turn out well.

Donnie
Current Build: Panart San Felipe 1:75
Completed Build: Santisima Trinidad

Main SOS Site: Ships of Scale Website

"War Ships are safe at harbor, but that is not what they were made for"

klarre
Seaman
Seaman

Post by klarre » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:42 pm

Spent the Saturday by gathering all missing tools and glues, and tonight I got some time working on my shooner.
I had a piece that was pretty bent so I followed Donnie's tips to straighten it up before glueing it on the preshaped hull that this kit comes with. It's the piece that you can see in the image below which is currently drying as I write this update.

I've already done the sanding to line up the piece with the hull (you can see that the piece goes over the edge in the image which is what I have fixed now), so the next step is the planking which I will do tomorrow. I'm really looking forward to this since its such a nice detail. :)

As you can see I also bought a plastic box to separate and keep all small pieces safe. Unfortunately I found out that two deadeyes were missing when I counted the pieces. Should be a fairly common piece and not that hard to found as a spare piece in a model shop though.
Attachments
parts.jpg
parts.jpg (131.79 KiB) Viewed 5707 times
first_step.jpg
first_step.jpg (116.68 KiB) Viewed 5707 times

jct

Post by jct » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:18 am

Your off to a great start Klarre, very nice set of tools, they should serve you well. Good job correcting the warped piece.
J :cool:
Current build -
In the queue -
Agilis, Steingraeber
HMB Endeavour, Corel
Harriot Lane, Model Shipways
Semi complete-
USS Niagara
Completed builds-
Half Moon, Corel
USN Picket Boat #1

Donnie

Post by Donnie » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:19 pm

This will be very interesting to watch !
Current Build: Panart San Felipe 1:75
Completed Build: Santisima Trinidad

Main SOS Site: Ships of Scale Website

"War Ships are safe at harbor, but that is not what they were made for"

klarre
Seaman
Seaman

Post by klarre » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:13 pm

Hi again,

Just wanted to share a short update. I haven't been able to work as much on the ship as I wished for, but I'm making small progress as soon as I got some spare time. :)

As you can see I'm still working with the hull. I've done some planking and today I glued the gunwale. Had to redo one of them since I managed to wet, bend and dry it in the wrong direction.

One of the most important thing I've learned so far is that gluing is kind of tricky. I've been using too much and got glue all over the ship and it doesn't look that nice. The deck planking isn't that nice either since there is glue between some planks and in some places there are no glue at all, making it look uneven. If I had thought about it earlier I would have made some cuts with a knife between the planks to make it better looking.

The plan today was also to add the back gunwale, but now the time is 1 AM and I'm pretty sleepy, so I will leave it here for today.
Attachments
2014-01-21 01.02.47.jpg
2014-01-21 01.02.47.jpg (101.33 KiB) Viewed 5642 times

probablynot
Petty Officer Second Class
Petty Officer Second Class

Post by probablynot » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:54 pm

My goodness, you're organised Klarre!
I love how you sorted out your preliminary toolkit before starting on the actual building work. Way to go!
I looked at the Bluenose kits when I was starting into this hobby. I would have bought one (instead of the AL Mare Nostrum kit I eventually chose) but I really wanted to try the planking instead of going for the solid hull. I actually think it's more skillful to get a properly-shaped solid hull than a decent-looking plank-on-bulkhead one, so all credit to you!

You seem to have made good progress so far with your Bluenose II. Keep up the good work, and keep us informed.

Return to “SOS Build Logs from Kits - Wood”