Build Log: Constructo H.M.S. Victory

This Build Log Section is for Wood Ships. Enter your Build Log here. It is advisable for others to follow your Build Log to start your post such as "Build Log: HMS Ship name"
papership
Petty Officer Second Class

Build Log: Constructo H.M.S. Victory

Postby papership » Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:49 pm

This will be my 1st thread here on this wonderful Forum. I am @ this time just starting the build of a ship I have always wanted to model. I have worked with plastic, card and just returned to wood.
So far the largest version of the Victory I have had has been the Heller plastic version which is 1/100th scale, and might I add, I consider it the best by far of any plastic kit available of this famous Ship of the Line.
I was wondering around my LHS and spied the Constructo model of this vessel and started looking it over, though I know there is far better kits out there, this was the one in my hands.
I thought what better Christmas gift for oneself than this, so a trip to the check out counter, payment and loaded into car, resulted in this Build Log.

Stats:
Scale 1/94th
Length From Bowsprint to Stern 43 inches
Height From Mainmast to bottom of Keel 31 inches
Width From tip of Mainspar to tip 15 inches

As you can see, this is not a small model, but I am used to building in I/96th, so this is a scale I am comfortable with.
It has been some time since I worked a Plank-on Frame build, but like anything else, once you learn to ride a bike, you never forget.
But will admit this is the most complex model I have ever taken on.
I have studied the plans and instruction, found some areas that need correction and some that I will use after market parts for.
The kit as pictured on the box is a natural wood state build, but I want to add color, so will paint the ship.
I need some advice as too the copper plates, none come w/the kit and a source for this is much needed, since this kit reps a Victory w/copper bottom time line.
Do not like the cannons too much and will try to simulate the differant types/calibers.
But over-all, the kit has enough detail to keep one busy for some time.
By the way, I am a slooooooow builder. I believe it will take well over a year for me to complete, but I never set a time line and will finish when finished! :wink:

So let me present to you the Build Log of the H.M.S. Victory

Rick :D
Attachments
HMS Victory 100 Gun Ship 2011 001.JPG
HMS Victory 100 Gun Ship 2011 001.JPG (64.79 KiB) Viewed 10717 times
Where ever I am at, There I am!
papership

Re: Build Log: Constructo H.M.S. Victory

Postby papership » Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:55 pm

Where I am @ on the build @ this time:
Attachments
Constructo HMS Victory Dec 2011 002.JPG
Basic frame mocked up............
Constructo HMS Victory Dec 2011 002.JPG (56.57 KiB) Viewed 10716 times
Constructo HMS Victory Dec 2011 003.JPG
Looking straight...............
Constructo HMS Victory Dec 2011 003.JPG (54.52 KiB) Viewed 10716 times
Constructo HMS Victory Dec 2011 007.JPG
Nice line drawings on the plans..........
Constructo HMS Victory Dec 2011 007.JPG (66.68 KiB) Viewed 10716 times
Start HMS Victory 003.JPG
My ref material.........
Start HMS Victory 003.JPG (59.24 KiB) Viewed 10716 times
admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:44 pm

Hi Papership,

Your HMS Victory looks like it is going to turn out to be a fun build. I look forward to seeing the progress on this one. The good thing is that there is a ton of info on the Victory out there. The Trinidad that I am working on has near nothing on the web and research.

Donnie
Sjors55
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Postby Sjors55 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:02 pm

Hi Rick, That's a wonderful ship. Enjoy youre build and we enjoy to :D And just what you said, Take your time and everything is gonna be allright.
Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it is very important that you do it.
(Mahatma Gandhi)

Current build:
Le Mirage by Corel (1:75)

Current build: San Ildefonso by OcCre (1:70)
viewtopic.php?f=52&t=279
papership

Postby papership » Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:54 pm

Thanks Donnie and Sjors55, I have read your threads and hope I do 1/2 the job you 2 have done w/your builds. 8)
I love researching whatever I am building, the Victory is no exception.
As I stated, I will go w/the 1803 re-fit which was a Copper clad bottom vessel. Also this is the trim/decoration that the kit provides.
I would love to build as the 1765/1798 version, very ornate w/a white bottom. a version you do not see modeled very often. I also have noticed that the rear railing along the sides of the 1765 version were built upon and the railing has now became another higher side of the upper rear hull.
Attachments
6WN32132 Victory.jpg
1765 & 1798 version
6WN32132 Victory.jpg (49.02 KiB) Viewed 10706 times
dPd32155 Victory Bow.jpg
Bow Gallery 1765 - 1803
dPd32155 Victory Bow.jpg (51.32 KiB) Viewed 10706 times
papership

Postby papership » Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:00 pm

My favorite painting of this elegant vessel.
Attachments
HMS%20Victory_b4%20conversion%201803_detail.JPG
HMS%20Victory_b4%20conversion%201803_detail.JPG (38.31 KiB) Viewed 10706 times
popeye
Master Chief Petty Officer
Master Chief Petty Officer

Postby popeye » Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:12 pm

nice beginning.......welcome to the site, by the way :D I'm not real 'up' on these types of ships......only have one going at the moment, a 1:100 scale build of the Gothenborg. I have a few other builds going on as well...the Regina, the Mary Ann, and another fishing vessel called the Boulogne Etaple. I have heard of the Victory with copper plate......but research will be needed there, sounds like a fitting at a later date. if you want to do the copper, you might want to check out Model Expo, Midwest, or Cornwall...there's a lot of places to look. you could even pick up copper sheeting, and try your hand at making your own.

that's one of the prime directives in model building.......take your time! rushing never got anyone, anywhere......except into a bind! above all, have fun with your build......looking forward to seeing more.
finished builds:
Nordkap 476 / Cux 87 / Gundalow
Mary Ann / Susan A. / M&M fun ship
Phylly C & Denny-Zen / AmericA
Andrea Gail

in cue:
Gothenborg
Half Moon
Boulogne Etaples
trawler Syborn
U.S.S. United States
Holiday Harbor
Titanic
papership

Postby papership » Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:14 pm

popeye wrote:nice beginning.......welcome to the site, by the way :D I'm not real 'up' on these types of ships......only have one going at the moment, a 1:100 scale build of the Gothenborg. I have a few other builds going on as well...the Regina, the Mary Ann, and another fishing vessel called the Boulogne Etaple. I have heard of the Victory with copper plate......but research will be needed there, sounds like a fitting at a later date. if you want to do the copper, you might want to check out Model Expo, Midwest, or Cornwall...there's a lot of places to look. you could even pick up copper sheeting, and try your hand at making your own.

that's one of the prime directives in model building.......take your time! rushing never got anyone, anywhere......except into a bind! above all, have fun with your build......looking forward to seeing more.
Thanks for the welcome and I have read your threads, impressive. I am toying with the idea of cutting and installing my own copper plates.
Thanks for looking in own this log.
Rick :D
papership

Postby papership » Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:31 pm

As I stated, I love learning facts about the subject I am modeling. One of the things I am always fascinated with is the Figurehead as carried by a vessel, and the H.M.S. Victory, a 104 gun First Rate sure has my attention as to what the Figurehead represents.
The cast metal Figurehead as included in the kit is the same as the one that was fitted during the ships (Large Repair) between 1801 - 1803.
The design comprises two cupids supporting the Royal Coat of Arms surmounted with the Royal Crown.
The Arms bear the Norman French inscription of the Order of Garter: Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense - Shame to him who evil thinks.
Each side has a cupid wearing a colored sash, staboard blue - port red.
These two colors indicate that the two figures represent a Seprahim (Red) - a Cherubim (Blue)
Seprahim relates to the highest order of Angles representing the Love of God.
Cherubim relates to the 2nd order of Angles representing wisdom.

According to Midshipman River's report of the Battle of Trafalgar, the starboard figure had its leg shot away.
Port side figure, its arm.
Attachments
Victory Figurehead.jpg
Figure head as @ Trafalgar
Victory Figurehead.jpg (29.48 KiB) Viewed 10702 times
Donnie
Senoir Chief Petty Officer
Senoir Chief Petty Officer

Postby Donnie » Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:56 pm

this is going to be real interesting to say the least watching this build take place !! I take your compliments with a lot of humility and I assure you that there are people out there that are above my level. The main thing is that being content with ones own workmanship. It is so easy for me to be critical of my own work. I think this is normal for everyone.
That is one thing that I love about the people and their ship building is that everyone I have ever known has never - ever criticized anyone on their skills, but always ready to assist.

Donnie
Current Build Prep: Panart San Felipe 1:75
Completed Build: Santisima Trinidad

Main SOS Site: Ships of Scale Website

No Guts, No Glory !

Return to “SOS Build Logs from Kits - Wood”