Jerry's 1:94 Constructo HMS Victory

This Build Log Section is for Wood Ships. Enter your Build Log here. It is advisable for others to follow your Build Log to start your post such as "Build Log: HMS Ship name"
odenjs
Petty Officer Third Class

Re: Jerry's 1:94 Constructo HMS Victory

Postby odenjs » Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:16 am

Hi All, I have been busy still planking the hull. I have been running a few ideas through my brain (limited as it is) about filling in the small gaps between planks and holes at the end of the planks and I wanted to run them by all of you to see what you think. I have been collecting the sanding dust and I have a medicine bottle 3/4 full of the Sapelly dust (hull of the ship).

1) Mix the dust with white water basted glue to fill in. Then sand and clear

2) Use a thin CA with a fine tip on the gaps and small holes, then put the dust on it. Then sand smooth and clear.

3) Sand, let the dust fill in the areas (or add some dust as needed) then use an air brush with the satin clear and spray over the whole area. After it’s dry, lit-ley sand smooth.

4) All of the above are goofy. :text-lol:
If you don't try you WILL fail!

Die cast models, cars, HO Train Engines
Chess Boards & Tables
Grandfather's clock
Jerry
eric61
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Postby eric61 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:00 am

Hi Jerry, I think I've missed some of the reads about your planking issues. The following pictures are what I have been using when planking the Endeavour.
After all "One small step for man" sorry wrong era!
Eric
Attachments
Bending Tool 1.JPG
Bending Tool 1.JPG (88.98 KiB) Viewed 1820 times
Bending Tool 3.JPG
Bending Tool 3.JPG (103.28 KiB) Viewed 1820 times
Bending Tool in action.JPG
Bending Tool in action.JPG (102.3 KiB) Viewed 1820 times
Curving Bow Planks.JPG
Curving Bow Planks.JPG (118.35 KiB) Viewed 1820 times
Gentle Curves.JPG
Gentle Curves.JPG (91.28 KiB) Viewed 1820 times
Tight Curves.JPG
Tight Curves.JPG (90.06 KiB) Viewed 1820 times
Too much pressure.JPG
The gently help the curve with your fingers OR.....
Too much pressure.JPG (90.95 KiB) Viewed 1820 times
Cook's Endeavour - current,
Sovereign of the Seas - current (deAgostini)
In queue: Marina II Fishing Boat by Artesania Latina
In queue: Mayflower by Model Shipways

"I was thinking then it all went blank!"
popeye
Master Chief Petty Officer

Postby popeye » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:40 am

hi Jerry......good to see your still building.....I hope you were able to remedy some of the problems. the art of making home made filler goes back a long ways.....so, the methods you've outlined above, aren't as goofy as you might think. I've used a couple of them at one time or another......not so much the CA one......it dries too quick for me :lol: :lol:

the only draw-back is the ability to stain these areas afterwards. it perfect for the first planking, although depending how large the gap is, it will be covered with the second planking, and remedied at that point. once wood has been inundated with glues, stain will not sink into the wood.......this is something I find really hard to master.......especially with the second planking.

here is a little something I've done in the past {on one build}.....the only reason why I did it, is because I use the sort of airbrush I wouldn't mind, if it got messed up. I used the Testor's 'amazing air' airbrush...it's a cheap airbrush, and it's a siphon feed.....costs about $30.00. I adapted it to run off of my 25 gal compressor.....it normally works from compressed air cans. with this set-up, any 1/4 oz bottle can be used as the 'feed'......a cap with a siphon tube is screwed onto it, and snapped in place on the airbrush...very simple to use. after doing the second planking......done in light colored wood, I made any repairs and sanded it lightly. it was then wiped down with a soft cloth lightly.....I didn't want to knock any dust out of the tiny cracks, if there were any. here it comes...............wait for it................I set up the airbrush using stain, and sprayed the outer hull. keeping in mind, the contours of the hull, I did light coats, making quicker than normal passes with the spray.......the transom....the keel area from stern to bow......and then the sides. with a heavy coat....it will run like crazy.........this is the only concern. do not wipe......wait and let it dry somewhat, if you want the hull to be a bit darker, additional coats will be needed....again, do not wipe....let it sink into the wood. when it is dry..... doesn't need to be totally dry....the look is good enough. spray it with a seal coat.......I use a semi gloss lacquer. it seals the wood quite well, and gives a nice hard finish. don't be concerned with the gloss factor........it's 'middle of the road', and it does disappear as it dries. using a gloss would make the hull too shiny.....and who ever heard of a shiny wooden boat? :lol: I found that using a flat seal coat {lacquer} is too much........it leaves the hull looking too 'dead pan' and looks like you never sprayed it at all. to me......that's some of the problems with airbrush.......you spray something....looks good at first, but it dries and doesn't have the finish you desire.........so you spray it again, and end up laying down too much paint or seal coat. then the finish comes out looking thick, with the possibility of the run factor.

I got long winded and carried away.......I guess what I'm trying to say is, there aren't too many ideas out there, that could be considered goofy. what works for one modeler, may not work for another. but if it's put out there, tried, and the outcome can be repeated by others, then it's a good idea. then, won't you be glad you mentioned it in the first place :)
finished builds:
Nordkap 476 / Cux 87 / Gundalow
Mary Ann / Susan A. / M&M fun ship
Phylly C & Denny-Zen / AmericA
Andrea Gail

in cue:
Gothenborg
Half Moon
Boulogne Etaples
trawler Syborn
U.S.S. United States
Holiday Harbor
Titanic
popeye

Postby popeye » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:56 am

hi Eric.

is that a cutter of some sort? looks like it does the job quite well, but for the end plank, you would need to cap the edge off, due to all those indentions. in the picture you've shown, there would be a cap rail there anyway, so all ended well for you in that respect. I wish I had pictures of what I use....it is merely a pine board with a number of holes drilled into it. the beginning sets of holes guide the plank straight, but further down the holes are drilled in different degrees, for the amount of bent I want to put into the plank. I use plastic pegs, but wood dowels can be used as well {I already had the plastic ones, from 'crap' furniture kits, that are out there on the market}. they can also be found in hardware stores. the planking is soaked, and then set into place on the board.......allowed to dry.

another method I've used is various sized tubes {I try to find plastic} and tall glasses {the admiral hates it when I do this :)}. the taper of the glass helps out sometimes......you never know when you need that little bit of twist. if the bend isn't too great, I simply glue the plank in place wet. some folks worry about shrinkage, but I haven't had that problem. it's easy to put a slight curve in the plank, before it is laid in place.
finished builds:
Nordkap 476 / Cux 87 / Gundalow
Mary Ann / Susan A. / M&M fun ship
Phylly C & Denny-Zen / AmericA
Andrea Gail

in cue:
Gothenborg
Half Moon
Boulogne Etaples
trawler Syborn
U.S.S. United States
Holiday Harbor
Titanic
GaryM
Senoir Chief Petty Officer
Senoir Chief Petty Officer

Postby GaryM » Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:35 pm

Jerry, use some spare wood or buy some that you can experiment with and plank it on a sheet of thin ply. This will show what you want to know and if the final appearance is what you thought it would look like. It will show you any errors in your technique and let you figure out what to correct, if anything. Like Popeye said, each person can do the same thing and get different results, so you have to see what your results would look like.
Happy modeling,
Gary Maple

Problems are just challenges waiting for your solution.

Current build: Sergal Sovereign of the Seas
In Que: Sergal: Cutty Sark and Amerigo Vespucci; Billings Titanic
Completed: Amati: HMS Prince (old 1:78 version); Billings: Norske Love and Vasa; Mantua: La Couronne; Sergal: Mississippi Riverboat and La Soleil Royal
eric61
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Postby eric61 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:55 pm

Hi Popeye, if you look at the third photo(with the hand) and look at the end of the plank you will see a bevel on both edges of the plank so it will cut just turn the plank over. I have another tool the same as this one, it came with the Victory part build and it is vicious!! the blade is that sharp that it does not take a lot of effort to cut through the wood, I use it to cut short pieces of 'second planking' On the bow, yes there will be a cap that will cover what you see.
Eric

odenjs

Postby odenjs » Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:51 am

Hi, thanks for all the suggestions. Popeye, this is a single plank hull and I am referring to the area where one plank lays against another as you work your way down the hull. Some of my planks have little gaps between them, also when you have to trim the ends to meet the curvature of the bow, sometimes I have little gaps/holes. I am not going to stain the wood, I just want to leave it natural.
I have Badger airbrush's with syphon and top feed but was thinking on using my 3oz gravity fed K-3 air brush. I just don't want to blow the dust out of the cracks when I go to spray. I will be using Deft clear wood semi-gloss brushing lacquer (thinned for air brushing). I am going to have to post some pics to explain better as to what I am trying to do for the gaps. I appreciate all of your help and suggestions.

Eric I really like that tool. I have been placing my planks on the stove into a steam kettle for about an hour then using a soldering iron with a round ball I shape the bends into the planks. I have found out that if you run the iron on the backside of the bend it doesn't want to splinter or break as much when your making the curve/bend.
If you don't try you WILL fail!

Die cast models, cars, HO Train Engines
Chess Boards & Tables
Grandfather's clock
Jerry
eric61
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Postby eric61 » Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:49 pm

Hi Jerry, the beauty about this tool is that you don't have wait to soak the wood then the task of 'drying' the wood whilst curving it. Depending on the length of the curve, you could have the plank 'glued and screwed' in the than a minute.
Regards
Eric

Anguirel

Postby Anguirel » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:25 pm

I use a soldering iron to bend my planks, some do get a bit burned on the inside...

Return to “SOS Build Logs from Kits - Wood”