Jerry's 1:94 Constructo HMS Victory

This Build Log Section is for Wood Ships. Enter your Build Log here. It is advisable for others to follow your Build Log to start your post such as "Build Log: HMS Ship name"

Moderator: zoly99sask

odenjs
Petty Officer Third Class

Jerry's 1:94 Constructo HMS Victory

Postby odenjs » Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:15 am

Hi ALL, I am VERY new to model ship building and ANY help or Info would be greatly appreciated and welcomed. I have started the build of a 1:94 Constructo's HMS Victory.
I bought it for a real good price from a hobby shop that was going out of business for $175. I could not pass it up.

I have been going at the build slooooooow step by step as the plans show, but I have a lot of questions about them and hope you'll be able to steer me in the right direction. :angry-banghead:

I am getting ready to put on the second deck when I noticed from the bow back to the 3rd bulkhead is twisted can someone help me as to what I can do to get it back in line?

Thanks for any help Jerry
If you don't try you WILL fail!

Die cast models, cars, HO Train Engines
Chess Boards & Tables
Grandfather's clock
Jerry
Donnie
Senoir Chief Petty Officer

Re: Build Log: Constructo H.M.S. Victory

Postby Donnie » Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:31 am

Hi Jerry and welcome !

Even though I am not completely familiar with this kit, if you could, it would be nice to be able to see a picture of what you have. I can then try the best that I can to help. It seems as if the author of this post papership started this build and I have not heard from him in a long time.

If you are not familiar with how to post images of your ship, then I have some tutorials in the How To Section Forums and the links are here if you want to click on these.

There are two ways to display images in your post. #1) upload via this forum: When you are writing your post, then, just scroll down just a tiny bit and you will see on the left column "Filename" and a button to click on that says "Browse". This action will open up a File Dialog Box on your computer so that you can then select a file that you wish. Next is another command button "Add the File". Then you can "Preview" to see what it looks like before you "Submit"
#2) another method of which I use is using an image hosting source like photobucket, flikr, or any other image hosting. Then you have to add a "link" [HERE] in your post that will "point" back to your image hosting.

here are the links:
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=588 and
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=600 and many others located here.

Donnie
if you have any problems, email me at donnie@shipsofscale.com

ps. depending on different aspects of your progress so far, some including myself have resorted to soaking the area with a little (hot) water spray mist (repeat as necessary) until the wood becomes soft to flex or bend. Once you have the twist out, then you need to find someway of securing with clamps or whatever you choose until it dries. You can resort to a hot blow dryer to speed the process. When you remove the clamps, there is a possibility that the frame or parts in question might have enough memory to spring back - if this is the case, then I have also resorted to "over compensating" the flex amount so that when the clamps are removed it will "relax" into the shape that you want. I have seen people soak their entire bow in hot water. One other thing if you have access to add some square blocks for support. The bottom line is Hot water and then bend a little at a time.
Current Build Prep: Panart San Felipe 1:75
Completed Build: Santisima Trinidad

Main SOS Site: Ships of Scale Website

No Guts, No Glory !
odenjs

Postby odenjs » Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:41 pm

Hi Donnie. I want to start off saying that I am NOT a skilled model ship builder. I have always like the wooden ships and when I hurt my back and had to go on disability this looked like the perfect thing for me to get into. I don't have a work shop to work out of, my wife is letting me use the dinning room table to work off of ( I make sure I put down the appropriate covering for the table or she would kill me dead) :angry-cussingblack:
Here are some picts to show the twist

Now I am NO where near as skilled as just about all the users of this site. I can only work with what I have and try to do the best I can. I WISH I had found this site when I started and I would be a lot better builder, but I try :)
Attachments
VICT a.jpg
a level at the bow
VICT a.jpg (68.43 KiB) Viewed 5018 times
VICT b.jpg
Full length view
VICT b.jpg (61.53 KiB) Viewed 5018 times
VICT c.jpg
Level at the stern
VICT c.jpg (73.03 KiB) Viewed 5018 times
VICT d.jpg
Level a center, a little off
VICT d.jpg (67.12 KiB) Viewed 5018 times
VICT f.jpg
another view from the bow
VICT f.jpg (68.94 KiB) Viewed 5018 times

Chess Boards & Tables
Grandfather's clock
Jerry
Donnie

Postby Donnie » Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:57 pm

First, this site is really for you. No one here started out with a skill set. Everybody starts at some point. We just need to get that twist out and I believe that your ship will be just fine. You will be surprised when it all comes together.

Good that you got your images uploaded. At this point I just want to help you move forward.

Ok. If you do not have a "building board", stop to make one. All it is, is a flat plank or a shelf matrial at lowes or homedepot. Try to install two strips of small stock length wise parallel to each other that will support the ship via the false keel.
Some people will use two pieces of 1\2" aluminum strip. It looks like you will have to wet the bow down with some hot water to make the wood soft enough to bend. The problem I see is that the whole bow will have to be twisted in the opposite direction and somehow clamped to your flat board. It may seem like a daunting task but wood does recover as long as you do not stress it too much.
I can understand the frustration of not having room to build. My first building bench was about 3 foot square on top. Just go slow at this process. It is possible for a part of the frame or parts to crack or break. But, its wood and you have to then resort to fillers and or blocks. It is a really good thing that you notice this now and make your corrections. We want to see you be successful. Success is measured by your eyes only. Keep me updated.
Current Build Prep: Panart San Felipe 1:75
Completed Build: Santisima Trinidad

Main SOS Site: Ships of Scale Website

No Guts, No Glory !
StevieF
Petty Officer Second Class

Postby StevieF » Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:25 am

Good day to you jerry.
Hopefully the "twist" is not too serious! If you could show the side of the build left and right! then it may be easier to see what has caused the twist?
By the looks of things you are not too far advanced into the build yet and with the right advice and help a solution should be forthcoming from the more experienced builders on this site.
As a thought!! have you used a build board to keep the keel parts in line and perpendicular?
Feel free to pm me if you need to ask anything that isn't being answered here on the forum.
Cheers, Steve..
odenjs

Postby odenjs » Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:50 pm

Thank you for the kind words. I have a wooden clamp like the one I saw in another picture. I don't know what he used to clamp the ship then put it in the wooden clamp. It looked like a small flat metal clamp he fastened to the keel then he put it in the wooden clamp. Do you know what clamps I am talking about (I wish I had a little more experience at this). :sad:

Donnie here are the picts you requested.
As you can see I was a little clumsy with the cannon braces :oops:

Donnie I just had a brain fart (The older you get the less of them you get) :banana-dance:
Attachments
VictoryA-rev.jpg
850 px wide
VictoryA-rev.jpg (45.48 KiB) Viewed 4998 times
VictoryB-rev.jpg
850 px wide
VictoryB-rev.jpg (54.69 KiB) Viewed 4998 times
VictoryC-rev.jpg
850 px wide
VictoryC-rev.jpg (49.2 KiB) Viewed 4998 times
VictoryD-rev.jpg
850 px wide
VictoryD-rev.jpg (51.79 KiB) Viewed 4998 times
Last edited by admin on Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:52 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Image Sizes too Large

Chess Boards & Tables
Grandfather's clock
Jerry
odenjs

Postby odenjs » Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:08 am

papership wrote:Here are some more photos, I know from the past, you really learn where you are @ when you start adding planks and or the decking. I am sure there will be some tweeks here and there.
From what I can tell, the gluing does not seem to have enduced a twist. I try to work from one side to the other to heelp keep this from happening.
I used thick CA that was accelerated, so not alot of moisture there to effect the wood, this is something I learned from modeling w/card which will look like a pretzel if you do not take care w/glue. :angry-cussingblack:
So far I am leased, and thanks for the heads up, better to find now than later.
Rick :banana-dance:

Looks real good rick, I would like to know where you got your brackets to hold the keel while they were in the wooden vice? I have a vice but no clamps like that. Disability don't pay did·dly-squat :crying-green:
:

Chess Boards & Tables
Grandfather's clock
Jerry
odenjs

Re: Jerry's 1:94 Constructo HMS Victory

Postby odenjs » Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:53 am

I WISH everyone here a happy new year and a prosperous build on your ship whether it's for money or JUST for the fun of it :banana-dance: :banana-rock: :greetings-clapyellow: :handgestures-salute: :music-rockout: :handgestures-thumbup:

Happy New Year from me and my wife all ALLLLLLLLLL Thank you very much Jerry

Chess Boards & Tables
Grandfather's clock
Jerry
GaryM

Postby GaryM » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:16 pm

Hello Jerry:
Looks like you got a good start at putting this together and fixing a problem. Do not worry about what something will look like when it gets covered up. Believe me when I say that if someone looks at my work closely, they will find several errors and I have been doing ships for over 40 years, off and on. If you read my log, my last big error was mentioned and there was no way to correct it. Ship modeling is no different than life. We learn by making mistake. The growth happens as soon as we realize that we have made a mistake. You would die laughing if you could see some of my earlier ship attempts. Some of them did not look near as good as the ship you are working on.
This is definitely the right forum for you to be on. We have a lot of friendly people that will help answers any questions you have and will enjoy watching you on your journey. I do not think any of us are real experts so if you ask a question and no one is able to answer it, that will prove the point.
Enjoy the site and keep posting your progress. What you share might help someone else not make the same mistake.
By the way, welcome to a great hobby that has many rewards.
Happy modeling,
Gary Maple

Problems are just challenges waiting for your solution.

Current build: Sergal Sovereign of the Seas
In Que: Sergal: Cutty Sark and Amerigo Vespucci; Billings Titanic
Completed: Amati: HMS Prince (old 1:78 version); Billings: Norske Love and Vasa; Mantua: La Couronne; Sergal: Mississippi Riverboat and La Soleil Royal
donlong

Postby donlong » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:38 pm

Jerry,
I am building the OcCre Santisima Trinidad. This is my first build also. The instructions leave a lot to be desired. I spent a lot of time researching the ship and different build sites before I touched the kit. You are very lucky in that the Victory is still alive plus there are a ton of books on her and other British ships.

One thing to keep in mind as you do your build; it is wood. It is very forgiving. Worse case, you can make new parts if you run into problems. I remember I could not slide the stabilizing bars that run through the ST frame after the frames were glued to the false keel. I ended up using a 1” paint brush to soak the glue joints on the frames until they worked loose. Then I slid the bar through and re-glued the joints. The sad part is I spent a lot of time making sure the frames were true. So look at each issue as a new learning experience. If I build another ship with stabilizer bars, they will be slid through the frames before I glue the frames in place.

Take your time. At the end of the day you are the only one you need to please. I have found the guys at this site are the best. They are helpful and want to see you succeed. If you have 1:1 drawings of your ship and something does not fit don’t just assume it is you. I have found a few errors between the drawings and the actual parts on the ST.

Check the build logs of others building the Victory. I followed Donnie’s build of the ST. Each place he experienced a problem, I paid particular attention to when I got to that point. It saved me a lot of heartache on my build. If you don’t know something, ask. These guys including myself can give you ideas of what to do. It is a learning process but you are not alone.

The twist in your ship does not look that bad. You should be able to straighten it out without too much of a problem. Make sure to make yourself a building board. It will be a life saver for you until you plank the hull. Then you will need to make a different holder for the balance of the build.

The key is to take your time. Read ahead in the instructions and look at other build logs for her. Plan your next steps. You will do fine.
Let me know if you need help. I will be glad to assist.

Later,

Don Long

Current Build: Santisima Trinidad
Next in Line: HMS Victory

Return to “SOS Build Logs from Kits - Wood”