Don's Santisima Trinidad by OcCre

This Build Log Section is for Wood Ships. Enter your Build Log here. It is advisable for others to follow your Build Log to start your post such as "Build Log: HMS Ship name"

Moderators: Aussie048, zoly99sask

donlong
Petty Officer Second Class

Re: Don's Santisima Trinidad by OcCre

Post by donlong » Fri May 01, 2015 1:47 pm

Edwin,

Thanks for your support and prayers.

Don
Current Build: Santisima Trinidad
Next in Line: HMS Victory

donlong

Post by donlong » Fri May 01, 2015 2:19 pm

Donnie,

Thanks for your thoughts. The problem with the pills is they mask any new problems. I have to do daily self examines on my feet now to make sure nothing additional is going wrong with them. While it is not good to be in pain all the time, I at least know when something new pops up. I don't know that there will be any improvements for me. The neuropathy has gotten worse over the past 10 months. So all I can do is deal with it. I have heard of one drug that allows the nerves to regenerate BUT some of the side affects can potentially screw up my heart and the diabetes. Two things I already have problems with.

To add to my problems, the VA has become a real issue in approving my claim. I spent months developing what is called a Fully Developed Claim only to have them lose part of it after I turned it in. Fortunate for me I had anticipated something like this and had multiple copies of the report made. So I turned in a second complete copy of it. My next step will be to contact Senator John McCain if this keeps up. He is very strong on correcting the problems with the VA, especially in Arizona.

I miss working on the ST. It was the one thing I had really set my sites on doing in my "golden years". I am going to give her a try again but I am not sure how successful I will be. One thing for sure, it will be slow going.

Well gotta go.

Don

donlong

Post by donlong » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:04 pm

Ahoy Mateys,

Well whatta you know? Old Don is still alive. It has been a tough two years. My health has gotten progressively worse but using the Veterans Administration philosophy; if you throw enough drugs at a problem, it will either help you or get you to a point that you don’t know you have a problem. In my case, it has been a combination of both plus a lot of mental and physical therapy.

It troubles me that I have not been able to work on the ST. I have somehow parleyed finishing the ST into a reason for living plus my dog broke his foot a month ago, so he needs me.
DSC00302-2.JPG
DSC00302-2.JPG (107.9 KiB) Viewed 268 times
We have been trying to answer the question: Which one of us is alpha dog? If I follow the rules, Jake (my dog) should be put in a cage so he will not hurt his foot running and wear a Queen Elisabeth collar for 6 to 8 weeks so he will not chew his cast off. I managed to convince him not to chew on the cast and his foot is just too sore to run on. So no cage and no queen’s collar. I think we are both much happier for the effort. Still don't have an answer on alpha dog.

Anyway, since this is not the forum for this, on with the ST.

I have been studying the galleries on my ST and have decided I don’t like them. Some of my concerns are:

1. I am not sure the cabins should be white. I have seen some where the ceiling is white and the walls are some wood color. Others; the entire
cabin is in wood tones.

2. All those windows on the port and starboard sides and I have walls blocking the view. Seems to me the walls should be removed.

3. The cabins are too bare. I need more goodies in there.

While I realize you are not going to see much of it once the stern plate is installed, I still think I could improve on what I have done. I have looked at 50 or so renderings of 17th and 18th century captain’s quarters. The general consensus has been wood tones. Since there is little documentation on the ST, I guess it can be whatever I want; within reason.

I am thinking blow off the walls, go wood tones and add a few more goodies.

Anyway, it is good to be back, I hope. I am limited on what I can do with my hands but I think I can function. Just will take a little longer.

Later,

Don

eric61
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Post by eric61 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:11 am

Hi Don. it is good to see you back again. Go with the wood look but make it a light colored wood
Regarding the collar, I had carpal tunnel operation done on both hands and was offered the collar, I knocked it back saying the operation was on my hands and there is nothing wrong with my head.....actually let me go away and think about that for a while!! (hysterical laughter)

Regards
Eric
Cook's Endeavour - current,
Sovereign of the Seas - current (deAgostini)
In queue: Marina II Fishing Boat by Artesania Latina
In queue: Mayflower by Model Shipways

Donnie
Master Chief Petty Officer
Master Chief Petty Officer

Post by Donnie » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:52 am

Don,
it is great to hear from you again. I think you have gone beyond the norm with the gallery. I think you would be the only one that I know of that has attempted such a feat with this box.

Donnie
Current Build: Panart San Felipe 1:75
Completed Build: Santisima Trinidad

Main SOS Site: Ships of Scale Website

"War Ships are safe at harbor, but that is not what they were made for"

donlong

Post by donlong » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:39 pm

Eric & Donnie,

Thanks guys. I think I can do better with the galleries. At least with the color and a few more goodies. I have looked at this off and on for the past two years and finally feel I can do it. I can see it in my mine and think I can turn this vision into tiny pieces of wood. With all the therapy, I don't shake as much as I use to. I need to accomplish something besides waking up every morning.

If it doesn't turn out, I can always put it back the way it was. First, I will deconstruct the galleries, then take out the side walls. From that point, I will know for sure. Hopefully I will have some pictures by Friday.

Later,

Don

Graham
Petty Officer First Class
Petty Officer First Class

Post by Graham » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:48 pm

Hi Don. The galleries look good and I think you can safely take down the walls because, certainly on the Victory, they were designed to be quickly removable in the event of rigging for battle. It is said that the panels could then be used as makeshift stretchers! I posted some pictures in the 'Real Ships For Reference' section of my visit last year to both the Victory and Trincomalee. If you scan through those there are some photos of the cabins of both ships which might prompt some ideas. Keep well and regards to Jake.

donlong

Post by donlong » Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:33 pm

Thanks Graham,

Very interesting. I was not aware that the walls could be removed and used for another purpose. In my case, for this build, I will be happy if I can remove the walls and make it look natural. I was more concerned with the walls being there for protection in a fire fight. If the walls could be removed ( like on the Victory) and used as a stretcher, then they would not be much good for protection anyway.

Thanks for the input. It is quite helpful.

Later,

Don

mtbediz1

Post by mtbediz1 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:02 am

Hi Don, amazing detailed job. Congratulations.

Mustafa

Undersea4me
Petty Officer Third Class
Petty Officer Third Class

Post by Undersea4me » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:45 pm

Great to see you back and feeling better, Don! God is good!

Return to “SOS Build Logs from Kits - Wood”