18th Century English Longboat - Model Shipways 1:48 Scale

This Build Log Section is for Wood Ships. Enter your Build Log here. It is advisable for others to follow your Build Log to start your post such as "Build Log: HMS Ship name"

Moderator: zoly99sask

NMBROOK
Petty Officer Second Class

Re: 18th Century English Longboat - Model Shipways 1:48 Scal

Postby NMBROOK » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:47 pm

Very nice build Clare :cool: :cool:
In some respects the smaller builds are a lot harder and less forgiving that the 'biggies'
Kind Regards Nigel
catopower
Petty Officer First Class

Postby catopower » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:52 pm

Thank you Nigel. Yes, in some way the small boats are harder, especially these single-planked open boats where you can't really cover your mistakes. However, no step takes all that long, so you get past hard parts pretty quickly. In that sense, they require less patience I think.

Clare
catopower

Postby catopower » Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:31 pm

So near, yet, so far...

Every time I think "Okay, I should have this project done tonight or maybe tomorrow", tonight comes and goes, tomorrow hits and ends and, and again it's "okay, I'll defnitely have this project done tonight, or maybe tomorrow..."

But, serious, I think I can say that I will have this project done by tonight! Or maybe tomorrow.

No. Tonight, I think. I have an even to go to this afternoon, but I have lots of time before I have to leave. And, I'll be back shortly after dark and have time to work on it tonight.

All that's left now is to rig four blocks with hooks and rig the jib and staysail halliards and rig the backstays, for which the pendants are already complete. The anchor is rigged and ready to seat with its coil of rope. Oh, and then I just have to tie off the flag halliard. As long as I don't break anything (crossing my fingers here), all should be okay and I can permanently fix the tiller and the handle for the windlass into place.

Here's what it looks like now...
IMG_0109.jpg

Almost there!

Clare
fragle123

Postby fragle123 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:25 am

Very nice model Clare lovely job
cheers steve
fragle123

Postby fragle123 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:26 am

Very nice model Clare lovely job
cheers steve
catopower

Postby catopower » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:42 pm

Thanks for the kind comments, Steve.

Well, as my final construction post on this build log... It's Done!

In a final marathon session late last night, I tied the last of the rigging lines and glued the loose handles into place and it's done. I took some pics this model of the final model. At some point, I'll try to set up for a more professional looking photo shoot, but I think this will do for now. I posted a full set of pics in the contributor's gallery section, but here is one to mark the occasion on this build log.

DSC01741.jpg

I'll have to work out some kind of case for it. For now, it's under an acrylic cover I borrowed from another work-in-progress that I'll have to get back to soon. More about that later.

I'm celebrating now by getting right back to work on the Colonial Schooner and make some progress there. After all, I'm on a roll now!

Clare
GaryM
Senoir Chief Petty Officer
Senoir Chief Petty Officer

Postby GaryM » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:51 pm

Roll on. But do look back and enjoy the handy work of a job well done occasionally.
Happy modeling,
Gary Maple

Problems are just challenges waiting for your solution.

Current build: Sergal Sovereign of the Seas
In Que: Sergal: Cutty Sark and Amerigo Vespucci; Billings Titanic
Completed: Amati: HMS Prince (old 1:78 version); Billings: Norske Love and Vasa; Mantua: La Couronne; Sergal: Mississippi Riverboat and La Soleil Royal

Return to “SOS Build Logs from Kits - Wood”