Sultana Kit

This Build Log Section is for Wood Ships. Enter your Build Log here. It is advisable for others to follow your Build Log to start your post such as "Build Log: HMS Ship name"
catopower
Petty Officer First Class

Re: Sultana Kit

Postby catopower » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:32 pm

Hi Peak,

I don't think tensioning the shrouds really affects anything except to the hold the masts tight in place. But, I usually keep them tight, and only temporarily tie off the lanyards while I deal with the rest of the rigging.

I tend to work bottom to top, front to back on the tightening, adjusting along the way there I can. I generally make sure the bowsprit rigging is tight as the rest of the rigging will pull up against these.

The last things are any backstays, vangs, and the topping lift on the spanker boom, these will all tend to pull back on the masts, tensioning the rest of the rigging. So, I tend to leave these to tie off last.

Clare
Peak53
Seaman
Seaman

Postby Peak53 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:38 pm

Thanks,
I'll give it a try.
popeye
Master Chief Petty Officer

Postby popeye » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:23 pm

one thing to look at, is in how tight it need to be. I tend to go for the 'absolute zero'......taught enough, but not so tight as to pull on other lines or contort the masts and yards. if you were to hold a piece of string in your fingers....pull it as tight as you can, you can actually see the string stretch. now release slowly, until you see the string start to go limp...tighten it back up again.....and release it slowly, and look for the point where the string just begins to show signs of limpness. that is right around where absolute zero is. the tightest lines on a ship would be the fore stays, shrouds and back stays.....in that order. the rest of the rigging should be done using the AZ formula. I hardly use wax, and I like to pre stretch the thread, wiping it down with diluted white glue, and letting it dry.
I've even stained thread, using this method as well. I know Clare gave you a good method to use...just figured I'd add to it. nice bit of progress so far! your ship looks great :)
finished builds:
Nordkap 476 / Cux 87 / Gundalow
Mary Ann / Susan A. / M&M fun ship
Phylly C & Denny-Zen / AmericA
Andrea Gail

in cue:
Gothenborg
Half Moon
Boulogne Etaples
trawler Syborn
U.S.S. United States
Holiday Harbor
Titanic
Peak53
Seaman
Seaman

Postby Peak53 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:17 pm

I've been tightening the stays. Pretty much as both you have suggested. The Back stays I've held up for last. I'll post pics when I have a chance. It'll be easier to critique.
But all in all I think it's OK. Compared to the "Swift", this is far more challenging for me.
Currently I'm applying the Ratlines for the shrouds. I've done 4...this is going to take a while!
Thank you for the advice.
catopower

Postby catopower » Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:48 am

Popeye's advice is good. When I mention keeping lines tight, I mean that in relative terms, though I do tend to make the shrouds tighter than other lines. Also, I do tend to use a little more tension in some lines like sheets pulling downward on a yard, so that the yard's halliards and lifts don't look limp.

Yes, you definitely have more work here than on the Swift!

Clare
popeye

Postby popeye » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:21 am

yes...back stays are last. like Clare, I use the bow like a backboard. you want to make the fore stays and shrouds a bit tighter that the rest of the rigging. the back stays are the ones that is going to finish this off. the standing rigging is the back bone of the rest of the rigging. a good test to do while your rigging, is to put a finger near the point where the line you tying is to go, and pull back slightly, to see what lines will be affected. this will serve as a guide to familiarize yourself with absolute zero and the effect it has on the rigging as a whole. once you get used to this, and can stay within the narrow boundary of absolute zero, it will become much better...easier. rigging is not an easy task, don't take it to heart. with ships, you'll learn a variety of 'sub hobbies', rigging, or 'string art' {as I call it....jokingly}, is the hardest part. but, once you get into the mechanics of it, it can be very enjoyable. hope to see some of your progress soon. :)
finished builds:
Nordkap 476 / Cux 87 / Gundalow
Mary Ann / Susan A. / M&M fun ship
Phylly C & Denny-Zen / AmericA
Andrea Gail

in cue:
Gothenborg
Half Moon
Boulogne Etaples
trawler Syborn
U.S.S. United States
Holiday Harbor