Sultana Kit

This Build Log Section is for Wood Ships. Enter your Build Log here. It is advisable for others to follow your Build Log to start your post such as "Build Log: HMS Ship name"

Moderator: zoly99sask

Peak53
Seaman
Seaman

Sultana Kit

Postby Peak53 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:54 pm

About 20 years ago I built a ship from a kit I ordered out of a popular science magazine. The following Christmas I was given two more, including the Sultana. I started the Sultana but ended up packing it away and just moving it with me when my wife and relocated. Recently I unpacked the kit and started in on it. It didn't take to long to realize that the two plan sheets I needed were missing. So the internet research began. I found Donnie's build and started communicating with him. I was hopeful that I could get a photocopied plan that I could cut and past together. Donnie on the other hand dug through the closet with his wife and found the two plan sheets. Sent them my way with several other items. I can't tell you how appreciative I am for this.
Thank you Donnie!
As for my building of the kit. I can only say it will be a slow process.
I've painted the Hull at this point.

[img][IMG]http://i1043.photobucket.com/albums/b432/81Spartan/Sultana2.jpg[/img][/img]
I would accept any and all advice as I am only a rookie here!!!
Attachments
Sultana2.jpg
Sultana2.jpg (98.93 KiB) Viewed 3940 times
Last edited by admin on Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: I reinstated the image. For some reason, link is not working.
catopower
Petty Officer First Class
Petty Officer First Class

Re: Sultana Kit

Postby catopower » Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:24 pm

Hi Peak53,

Glad to see you here on Ships of Scale. That Sultana model looks great. I broke down and bought one earlier in the year myself just to add to my long list of shipmodeling To-Do's. It's a nice kit.

What was the one you built from Popular Science? And you said you got two kits recently – what's the other one?

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing more posts and photos as you go. My only advice is to not worry about the progress. Take your time and just enjoy the hobby.

Clare
admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:03 pm

Hi Peak53. One of the most challenging aspects of any forum is dealing with images. I understand. After you upload your image to photobucket, then view the image in photobucket (to make sure all is well). The Thumbnail of your freshly uploaded images will have some "TAGS" next to the Thumbmail.
The important part is to "click" on the link in photobucket that says "IMG" copy and not "URL" copy.

Oh ps. - Your Sultana is REALLY nice ! (and) you are welcome for the other parts.
Donnie Driskell
Ships of Scale ©2017
Madison, MS
USA
Owner / Operator / Administrator
admin@shipsofscale.com

Thank you again for your membership and interest.
You do make a difference in the community of Ship Builders !
Peak53
Seaman
Seaman

Postby Peak53 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:32 pm

I don't remember the name of the kit i purchased out of popular science or mechanics. But here are a couple pics provided I do it right.
Peak53
Seaman
Seaman

Postby Peak53 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:33 pm

Peak53
Seaman
Seaman

Postby Peak53 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:38 pm

Donnie, I don't understand why I'm not getting the picture added correctly. I am doing what you said. At least I think so. Click on img in photobucket. It say "copied". Then paste in the comment section. and post.

Should I have been clicking on img at the top of the reply here first?

I'm also getting a notice that the pic is over the 1000 pixels wide?
Peak53
Seaman
Seaman

Postby Peak53 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:45 pm

Peak53
Seaman
Seaman

Postby Peak53 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:59 pm

I have one scratch built model I've made. It's not a ship but it's wood and brass and I made it from scratch. The plans I origanally drew then stumbled into a guy who had origanal plans that he copied and sent me. Sounds really familiar, like thats been done before. :?

It's a civil war canon and limber. I plan to add the caisson (sp?) sometime.

Each wheel has around 20 pieces. Anyway, I'm pretty proud of the thing.

[img][URL=http://s1043.photobucket.com/user/81Spartan/media/2010-07-21203258.jpg.html][IMG]
Peak53
Seaman
Seaman

Postby Peak53 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:00 pm

Sorry all, I just can't seem to post a pic.
Donnie
Senoir Chief Petty Officer
Senoir Chief Petty Officer

Postby Donnie » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:38 am

Peak,

this is very strange. When I tried to edit your post (via admin functions), it did the same for me. I will say that the way you described by clicking on "copy" and then "pasting" that link in the body should work. You are correct that using the Img code in the header should not be used. I am also wondering about the 1000 limit too.

I will write you an email or a PM on this

Donnie
Current Build Prep: Panart San Felipe 1:75
Completed Build: Santisima Trinidad

Main SOS Site: Ships of Scale Website

No Guts, No Glory !

Return to “SOS Build Logs from Kits - Wood”