Santissima Trinidade 1:90 Scale OcCre

This Build Log Section is for Wood Ships. Enter your Build Log here. It is advisable for others to follow your Build Log to start your post such as "Build Log: HMS Ship name"

Moderators: zoly99sask, Aussie048

Anaga
Seaman
Seaman

Re: Santissima Trinidade 1:90 Scale OcCre

Post by Anaga » Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:43 am

Would this be the way to secure the gun in good weather and the other one ( parallel to the side wall) during stormy weather?
It could be so but I don´t know for sure. The album is a low resolution pdf and I can barely read the texts on it. Method D could also be a way of making room to move carriages along the deck for hoisting them out of the ship. The upper deck of Trinidad had 10 howitzers at the waist plus the 8 pounders for the remaining gun ports so I think method A should be the one.
It should be printed in new conditions and would be great to have translated into English
I agree but the album is not a book but a series of huge plates binded togther. There is a new print of it at the original scale of the plates but its price is €700:
http://fundacionmuseonaval.com/tienda-o ... ria-detail
The Juan Jose Navarro Marqis of la Victoria album is a must for any seroius model maker or 18th century ship construction enthusiast. Hopefully someone might post a better high res document or/and the corresponding plate texts somewhere.The link below is a video explainig some of its content and the music is a piece by Luigi Bocherini the Spanish Court official chamber musician at the time :greetings-clapyellow: :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWojEuWwiKE

Anguirel
Petty Officer Third Class

Post by Anguirel » Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:54 am

Hi,

I found this page with all the plates and a small explanation of what's on them (in Spanish)
http://www.armada.mde.es/museonaval/apl ... -victoria/#

In this one there is an actual transcript of the text (in Spanish of course) of plate 86
http://www.todoababor.es/datos_docum/MV-artilleria.htm

:greetings-waveyellow:
Last edited by Anguirel on Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anaga
Seaman
Seaman

Post by Anaga » Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:08 pm

Anguirel,
Excellent. The second link explains it all. The lashing alongside method was for the guns under the gangways. It was a convenient way to make room for manuvering the auxiliary boats or hauling cargo in and out of the hold.

GaryM
Senoir Chief Petty Officer

Post by GaryM » Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:35 pm

That makes a lot of sense. There is always a good reason why things are the way they are on ships. There were rules for everything; it is just finding them that is hard since stuff was not written down.
Happy modeling,
Gary Maple

Problems are just challenges waiting for your solution.

Current build: Sergal Sovereign of the Seas
In Que: Sergal: Cutty Sark and Amerigo Vespucci; Billings Titanic
Completed: Amati: HMS Prince (old 1:78 version); Billings: Norske Love and Vasa; Mantua: La Couronne; Sergal: Mississippi Riverboat and La Soleil Royal

Anguirel

Post by Anguirel » Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:39 pm

Hi,

I finally have a gun carriage that I'm happy with (well not 100%, but 95% which is not bad). So far only one is complete. The other are not far off, I'm only missing the quoins, tompions and fixing the cannon to the carriage (and respective locks). count down 17 to go. Them on to the rigging...

Here's some photos of the finished gun carriage...

the tompion

the quoin

the fixing of the gun. Now the axis hole on the cannon was already drilled and it's not centred. I thought about making a new hole closer to the mouth of the gun but I don't have the tools. Hope that this wont be a problem for the rigging of the breeching tackle.

this is the other thing I'm not happy the the eyebolts for the gun-tackle is to close to the eyebolts for the breeching-tackle. I was following the book Anaga posted and in the pictures there are only 3 eyebolts and two ringed eyebolts (this one for the breeching-tackle) only later did I realizes I was missing the one for the gun-tackle

the under side

and the gun in place. Still have not decided the arrangement. they are all going to be secured just missing the arrangement, probably will only decide once I have all of the guns (including the cannonades)

:greetings-waveyellow:

GaryM

Post by GaryM » Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:10 pm

Looks good to me. Beats the kit design in many ways. Nicely done.
Happy modeling,
Gary Maple

Problems are just challenges waiting for your solution.

Current build: Sergal Sovereign of the Seas
In Que: Sergal: Cutty Sark and Amerigo Vespucci; Billings Titanic
Completed: Amati: HMS Prince (old 1:78 version); Billings: Norske Love and Vasa; Mantua: La Couronne; Sergal: Mississippi Riverboat and La Soleil Royal

Jim Lauser
Petty Officer First Class
Petty Officer First Class

Post by Jim Lauser » Sat Dec 12, 2015 5:42 pm

Hi Anguirel
I too built the Santisima, but I must freely admit that the detail I see in your build puts mine to shame. Beautiful work!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm currently working in plastic. I have completed the Trumpeter Bismark and are currently working on the Trumpeter Missouri. Both of the build logs are out here on SOS.
I invite you to take a look at my Santisima build log titled OcCre Santisima Trinidad Build with Reverse Rigging. Let me explain. When I built the Wasa, as I continued adding rigging, it got harder and harder for me to attach the lines to the belaying pins, etc. But I persevered and finished it. When I did the Santisima, working with the instructions and the details contained therein, I pre cut every line and then attached one end to the belaying pins, etc., hanging the other end over the side of the ship, before any of the masts and yards were installed. As the yards and sails were added, the appropriate line was brought 'up' through the blocks etc and finally tied off to the last location in the line, which was usually out there in free space, not down on the deck with umpty seven other lines in the way.
Something to consider.
Jim
Completed builds: Blue Shadow
Wasa
OcCre's Santisima Trinidad
Trumpeter Bismarck with KA Models add-on
Trumpeter Missouri with Pontos add-on

Current Project: The Trumpeter VIIC Submarine

popeye
Master Chief Petty Officer
Master Chief Petty Officer

Post by popeye » Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:10 pm

nice job on the cannon........the rest should be a piece of cake ;-)

Return to “SOS Build Logs from Kits - Wood”