Artesania Latina's Colonial Schooner Independence - Modified

This Build Log Section is for Wood Ships. Enter your Build Log here. It is advisable for others to follow your Build Log to start your post such as "Build Log: HMS Ship name"
catopower
Petty Officer First Class

Artesania Latina's Colonial Schooner Independence - Modified

Postby catopower » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:40 pm

Among my other projects is this Artesania Latina kit that I've been asked to build for someone. It not my ideal build, but he's had this kit for years and it's what he wants, so who am I to argue. However, I did get him to agree to let me modify the kit the way I tend to do anyway.

First off, the AL kit says it's 1/35 scale. But at that scale, I found that it would be a very tiny vessel, tinier than the Sultana which is already a very small vessel. The vessel is also armed like the Halifax, with 6 cannons and 8 swivels. So, I took some measurements and made some calculations and figured out that if I treated this as a 1/48 scale model, while it will be rather wide, it will be about the same length as the Halifax. I also prefer 1/48 as a ship modeling scale, so that's what I'm going to work with.

I was surprised at how well the bulkheads and the inner keel piece fit together. The tolerances on the slots are near perfect – the parts fit snugly, but not tightly.

I reinforced the bulkheads once they went together and then the first step as per the instructions is to plank the decks. For this, I used some 1/8" wide boxwood. I have some boxwood on hand, so I just cut a couple sheets and thickness sanded them down to 1/8", then ripped the planks out on my table saw.

Clare
Donnie
Senoir Chief Petty Officer

Re: Artesania Latina's Colonial Schooner Independence - Modi

Postby Donnie » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:54 pm

Hi Clare
That seems like a nice little project to get started on. It must be a privilege to be asked to build a ship for someone !

Donnie
Current Build Prep: Panart San Felipe 1:75
Completed Build: Santisima Trinidad

Main SOS Site: Ships of Scale Website

No Guts, No Glory !
catopower

Postby catopower » Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:12 am

Thanks Donnie. It is nice to be building a ship model that already has a place to be displayed. I can put the work into it and not have to worry about what I'm going to do with it when done, though it's a smaller sized model, so space isn't so much an issue.

So, I was on vacation visiting my sister in Hawaii and just got back a few days ago. It was mostly family visit time as opposed to a tropical resort kind of vacation. Anyway, she lives on Oahu which is pretty built up and has a LOT of military bases all over the place. Still, did get to lie on the beach for a bit. Anyway, I had some pent up ship modeling urges when I got back and I immediately had to do some work on this kit. I'd already finished the deck before I went out on vacation and had just started hull planking, so I'm playing a little catch up on this build log...

I laid the planks using a non-traditional 2 plank shift pattern. 3 or 4 step shift is normal, but on this model, even those might be a bit much. The decks are actually short enough that using full length planks is probably accurate.

Planking was laid starting from a center line and working outward from there. When I got close the edge, I shaped the waterway edge planks and joggled planks into them as necessary.

The boxwood I used for the planks were from a board I bought maybe about a year ago from The Lumberyard. The piece wasn't nearly as nice as the first boxwood board I bought from them, having a lot of color streaks in it. But, for this model, this seemed to created a nice look for the deck.

I drew in lines on the decks to mark the estimated locations for deck beams. Using a #75 drill bit, I drilled out the treenail pattern. I was going to make actual treenails, but I decided to keep it simple and use simple filler instead.

After planking the deck, I used vertical strips of 3/16" wide cherry to cover the remaining visible portions of the bulwarks. I edged these with simple pencil lead. Next, the bulkheads were faired and the bulwarks formers were added. Once this was firmly in place, I started planking the inside of the bulwarks and started the first layer of hull planking.

Clare
Attachments
IMG_0191.jpg
IMG_0191.jpg (155.07 KiB) Viewed 6131 times
GaryM

Postby GaryM » Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:07 am

Looking good Clare. Nice progress.
Happy modeling,
Gary Maple

Problems are just challenges waiting for your solution.

Current build: Sergal Sovereign of the Seas
In Que: Sergal: Cutty Sark and Amerigo Vespucci; Billings Titanic
Completed: Amati: HMS Prince (old 1:78 version); Billings: Norske Love and Vasa; Mantua: La Couronne; Sergal: Mississippi Riverboat and La Soleil Royal
Donnie

Postby Donnie » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:23 am

Very Nice Clare - :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup:
Current Build Prep: Panart San Felipe 1:75
Completed Build: Santisima Trinidad

Main SOS Site: Ships of Scale Website

No Guts, No Glory !
catopower

Postby catopower » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:48 am

Thanks Gary, Donnie! I appreciate the kind words.

I haven't built a double-planked kit hull in quite a while and it's been even longer since I've done an Artesania Latina kit. I have to say, it's been nice. Without the keel in the way, I don't have to worry about damaging anything, so the planking moves along very quickly and easily. Most of the work I've been doing in recent years has been plank-on-solid-hull construction. I've really enjoyed that, but this kit will effectively be the same once I get the first planking down.

I'm hoping to wrap this up that part of the construction either today or in the next couple of days. I have some other things I need to work on, so we'll see how it goes.

Clare
portside
Seaman
Seaman

Postby portside » Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:44 pm

Nice work, Clare.
Your planking looks great! That from someone who has struggled with same.
Bill
Bill

working on the Badger by Caldercraft scale 1:64
catopower

Postby catopower » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:36 am

Thanks for the nice comments Bill!

As long as the final result is smooth and even, doesn't really matter how that first planking is done. You just need a good "solid hull" to put that finish planking on. I'm just added the stem, sternpost and keel. On AL kits, this is done after all the planking. I decided to add them before the final planking so I can make sure my inner planking is trimmed up right. I'll post more shortly.

Clare
catopower

Postby catopower » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:47 am

Inner Planking Update

Planking began right under the bulwarks former. The first three strips I added without tapering. The planks do require a little soaking in water, and then I used a heating tool to bend them to shape.

I used yellow carpenter's glue for the planks with push pins holding them in place. Where necessary, I also use binder clips and small plastic clamps in strategic locations. Planks are glued to the bulkheads as well as to each other. I didn't worry about making a mess here as the inner hull will get sanded later and will all be hidden in the end anyway.

After those first few planks, I dropped down about four plank widths below the last plank and laid a plank down naturally so that there was no need for edge bending. This plank was tapered as were all subsequent planks. Planks above this were then laid in and cut to fit in the band. Since I measure the space in terms of plank widths, all planks were full width at the midships frame. I repeated this process dropping down 4 or 5 plank widths and filling the opening.

Finally, I started at the keel with what was technically the garboard strake and worked upwards from there. The last plank had to be specially cut to fit the last opening. I kind of lucked out and found that a full width plank would fit with just a tiny gap remaining, which I'd take care of with a little filler later. The whole process went pretty quickly and did require the use of a couple stealers on each side. The last bit planking was at the counter at the stern of the ship.

After all the planking was done, I carefully trimmed any plank edges that were sticking up, then sanded the whole thing down with some 60 grit sand paper. When it was mostly smoothed down, I used some Elmer's Carpenter's Wood Filler to deal with any gaps and sanded some more using 150 grit sand paper.

Clare

DSC01625.JPG

DSC01626.JPG

DSC01631.JPG
rwiederrich
Petty Officer Second Class
Petty Officer Second Class

Postby rwiederrich » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:09 am

Very nice.

Rob
Current builds: 1/96 Medium clipper Glory of the Seas