Enterprise 1799 (Constructo kit) by Probablynot

This Build Log Section is for Wood Ships. Enter your Build Log here. It is advisable for others to follow your Build Log to start your post such as "Build Log: HMS Ship name"
DaveC
Petty Officer Second Class

Re: Enterprise 1799 (Constructo kit) by Probablynot

Postby DaveC » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:28 pm

Sometime, esthetics are the best judge. A lot of times, our eyes see something that just don't register right in the brain. Generally, I find that I try to trust that.
In all my years of model building, it has never yet, steered me wrong. Of course, I am getting up there and the eyes are not what they used to be...so with tongue in cheek I better "watch it!" :)

IMHO, you are doing a great job on this model. She's purdy!!

Dave
Seattle
Sometimes it's necessary to go a long distance out of the way in order to come back a short distance correctly.
probablynot

Postby probablynot » Mon May 18, 2015 3:00 pm

It's been a while since I posted progress notes here. For part of the time I've been taking my new Admiral away on a honeymoon cruise aboard the Noro-and-other-bug-infested Fred Olsen 'Balmoral'.
Actually we managed not to get the Noro, but like most of the passengers we did fall foul of something that everyone called 'The Balmoral Cough'. This was a horrid nose/throat thing that just would not go away, and it did take the edge off the cruise.
However, it wasn't all agony! We had some good times, and I particularly enjoyed having the opportunity to take a trip along the Corinth Canal - something I'd always wanted to do since first seeing pictures of that magnificent, cliff-bounded canal on one of the ship modelling websites.

Because of the 'Cough' it took me a while to get back into the swing of model ship building. But once I'd taken stock of how far I'd got before the cruise, it was fairly easy to resume work. I'd completed the standing rigging, and all that was left was to rig up the sails and complete the running rigging.

There are ten sails - four fore-and-aft, three square, and three foresails. As I've indicated earlier, Constructo's instructions for rigging them are fairly good, but it does take a while to understand just what the instructins mean! I spent several hours peering at the charts, until suddenly the Eureka moment came and I could see exactly what lines went where, and how, and why!

The instruction booklet says to do the square sails first, but I thought that would mean they'd be in the way when it came to installing the fore-and-aft ones. So I've been working from the stern forwards. The attached photo shows just two sails added (and I hadn't finished all their rigging at that point. Now, though, I've added the two fore-and-aft topsails, and made a start on installing the three square-rigged sails on the foremast.

I thought at first that I'd be content to set all the sails with no 'shape' to them - ie, as if they'd been set while in port during a flat calm just to 'air' them. But while the fore-and-aft sails seem to look OK like this, and I expect the foresails would be OK too, the square sails simply look wrong hanging totally flat without any shape to them. Using the halyards to raise the lower corners might help, but not greatly. I'm thinking I might have to furl them, or simply gather them upwards as if in the process of being furled.

So close to finishing this build! But so many little dilemmas still to be solved!
Attachments
BHC-0812-rsos.jpg
BHC-0812-rsos.jpg (206.2 KiB) Viewed 903 times
150509arsos.jpg
150509arsos.jpg (291.81 KiB) Viewed 903 times
GaryM
Senoir Chief Petty Officer

Postby GaryM » Mon May 18, 2015 3:44 pm

If your ship is in the a dead area where all the sails are up trying to catch any little breeze, it would not be have two much shape. Thus, by using a little clear glue might be all it takes to make a light shape.
Happy modeling,
Gary Maple

Problems are just challenges waiting for your solution.

Current build: Sergal Sovereign of the Seas
In Que: Sergal: Cutty Sark and Amerigo Vespucci; Billings Titanic
Completed: Amati: HMS Prince (old 1:78 version); Billings: Norske Love and Vasa; Mantua: La Couronne; Sergal: Mississippi Riverboat and La Soleil Royal
probablynot

Postby probablynot » Mon May 18, 2015 5:39 pm

Darn! Meant sheets where I said halyards!

Yes, maybe a little clear glue might help. I was actually considering hairspray ...
Donnie

Postby Donnie » Sun May 24, 2015 12:38 am

I think you are spot on with the order that you are attaching your sails.

Things can get a little messy fitting all those rigging lines. What I did on my Trinidad, I rigged up the sails, yards before hand. Then I attached the whole think onto the mast. I then took the other ends of the rigging lines and tied them off where they should go. But, that doesn't mean that rule applies to all, this is just the way I did mine. The main reason is that things can get kind of tight in places and I wanted to reduce the amount of time I spend fooling around trying to mount a sail to a yard that was already mounted.

Donnie
Current Build Prep: Panart San Felipe 1:75
Completed Build: Santisima Trinidad

Main SOS Site: Ships of Scale Website

No Guts, No Glory !
probablynot

Postby probablynot » Sun May 31, 2015 11:33 am

Donnie, I think I'm going pretty well the way you seem to be indicating. When one of my sails is 'ready' - ie, when I've got it 'shaped' (currently with hair laquer), and with all indicated spars, blocks, halyards and sheets attached - that's when I consider stringing it up on the model.
I've so far got nine of the ten sails hung up. Four of them are completed - they're the easier ones aft of the foremast. The three square sails are partially hung, and two of the three foresails are in place. Sort of.

Sorry, but I just can't make myself take a pic of my model while she's in this state! The partially-hung sails aren't properly placed yet, and there are currently about 18 sheets, halyards etc just hangng loosely down waiting to be allocated to a belaying pin.

However, for your information the hair laquer seems to to be holding some shape in the sails. It slightly troubles me that it's probably water-soluble, so if there's any dampness around it could mean that the sails will eventually go limp!
Which raises the question - do I go to the trouble/expense of getting/making a case, or do I let my model take her chances with the atmosphere, the dust, the visiting, wandering fingers?

My current thinking is that I build this model for me, not for posterity. I'm 78. If she - and I - last another four years, that'll be pretty good, and she can probably do that without a glass case!
Donnie

Postby Donnie » Sun May 31, 2015 5:42 pm

Well,
my Trinidad has been sitting out (in my house) for about 9 months and so far, I have not seen any dust on it. I would like to put it in a case, but so far, just the thought of build a case for it just too overwhelming for me at the moment.

ps. I dampened my furled sails with water. Tied them up while they were very wet on the Yards. I used the ropes to place the furled sails like I wanted them. When they dried, well, they dried like I wanted them to look in place. I usually do the least I can to get with.

Donnie
Current Build Prep: Panart San Felipe 1:75
Completed Build: Santisima Trinidad

Main SOS Site: Ships of Scale Website

No Guts, No Glory !
popeye
Master Chief Petty Officer
Master Chief Petty Officer

Postby popeye » Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:44 am

ship looks really nice Brian. I think the sails will take on their own wrinkle when you get them on.......when I did the sails for my AmericA, I did everything.....painted them with diluted white glue...laid them on a ruffled towel {covered with saran wrap}...they had some nice billow to them. the rigging took some of it out. I still love the way it came out. some billowing will take place with rigging.....if you taken measures to stiffen the cloth, let the rigging do the work for you ;)
finished builds:
Nordkap 476 / Cux 87 / Gundalow
Mary Ann / Susan A. / M&M fun ship
Phylly C & Denny-Zen / AmericA
Andrea Gail

in cue:
Gothenborg
Half Moon
Boulogne Etaples
trawler Syborn
U.S.S. United States
Holiday Harbor