Enterprise 1799 (Constructo kit) by Probablynot

This Build Log Section is for Wood Ships. Enter your Build Log here. It is advisable for others to follow your Build Log to start your post such as "Build Log: HMS Ship name"
probablynot
Petty Officer Second Class

Enterprise 1799 (Constructo kit) by Probablynot

Postby probablynot » Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:33 pm

It's a 1:51 kit. Significantly longer than my first effort (La Petite Nella , aka AL's Mare Nostrum). Lots more rigging too, although at least Constructo has provided pre-stitched sails.

All right, maybe I'm being a bit ambitious here. This will only be my second build.
But the kit looks benign, and after a very critical look I have to conclude that it ought to be within my current skill-range.

I don't think there's anyone here who has built this kit (please correct me if I'm wrong!). But I've been watching a couple of logs on another site, so I might not be building in total darkness.

It seems to be traditional to post a pic or two of the unopened kit. So here they are.

I've done a pre-assembly of the false keel and the eleven frames (to check that they actually do go together). Slight problem - the false keel is VERY flexible, and I need to devise a jig to hold it super-straight (especially for when I have to apply the decking).
Ideas anyone?
I was thinking of getting a length of alu angle, screwing one side to a wooden base plate, and making clamps to align the keel with the other side.
Unless, of course, you know better!
Attachments
R130604a.jpg
R130604a.jpg (129.38 KiB) Viewed 6743 times
R130604b.jpg
R130604b.jpg (133.06 KiB) Viewed 6742 times
R130604c.jpg
R130604c.jpg (126.12 KiB) Viewed 6742 times
StevieF

Re: Enterprise 1799 (Constructo kit) by Probablynot

Postby StevieF » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:27 am

That looks a nice little kit to learn some extra skills on!!
Don't be daunted, the learning curve in this hobby is quite rapid especially when there are all the build diaries to take examples from. I would suggest that you look at as many forums that you can find and see what other builders do?
With regard to a build jig the simplest is a base board with metal angle brackets screwed to it, I am including a couple of photos of one I used for my Victory build.
ImageImage
For my build board I used a shelf, and when I needed the extra room for other tasks I simply rested it on its brackets out of the way.
I hope that helps a little, cheers, Steve.. :text-welcomewave:
probablynot

Postby probablynot » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:46 am

Yes, Steve, it helps a lot!
Thanks for that!
GaryM
Senoir Chief Petty Officer
Senoir Chief Petty Officer

Postby GaryM » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:16 pm

That is pretty clever Steve. I have extra shelves so I think I can do that for my next build. Thanks.
Happy modeling,
Gary Maple

Problems are just challenges waiting for your solution.

Current build: Sergal Sovereign of the Seas
In Que: Sergal: Cutty Sark and Amerigo Vespucci; Billings Titanic
Completed: Amati: HMS Prince (old 1:78 version); Billings: Norske Love and Vasa; Mantua: La Couronne; Sergal: Mississippi Riverboat and La Soleil Royal
probablynot

Postby probablynot » Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:06 pm

Now the first dabs of glue have been applied, and the build is under way.
[Jig, to hold the keel straight and true, © StevieF. Thanks, Steve!]
Attachments
R130606a.JPG
R130606a.JPG (104.98 KiB) Viewed 6723 times
StevieF

Postby StevieF » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:16 am

probablynot wrote:Now the first dabs of glue have been applied, and the build is under way.
[Jig, to hold the keel straight and true, © StevieF. Thanks, Steve!]

I'm glad that I could help out! if you ever need any sort of guidance just post it I'm sure someone will come to the rescue with a worthwhile answer?
Cheers, Steve.. :)
otrax01
Petty Officer First Class
Petty Officer First Class

Postby otrax01 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:14 am

Brian if you also check out Steve's build log, "Steves Sovereign Build Partwork" in the kits forum you'll see the neat way he used lego to keep his frames aligned with the keel. Have a good build.
Kent
Remember, When your out in the shop, Ship Happens!

Postby probablynot » Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:42 am

I'm still here!
And I'm still working on the Enterprise. I suspect I'm getting hooked up in the detail though.

I've got the deck, bulkheads, and the filler blocks at the stern shaped more or less to my satisfaction, and the next step is to plank the deck.
On the Mare Nostrum it was easy enough. Cut 'em to length and stick 'em on. It was just a trawler, for goodness' sake! And it was my first ever build!
But I'd like to use that experience to make this, my second build, better.
Unfortunately, that means I've been spending the last two weeks trying out various ways of simulating the caulking between planks. And imitating treenails. My experimenting has now used up all the left-over 0.6mm x 5mm planking wood from my first kit, and I'm thinking of ordering a load more, for more experimenting. Which costs money, and takes up more time!

What do I do? Part of me says I should just crash on with the build, and ignore all the niceties of detail. The perfectionist in me says no, get it RIGHT!

The trouble is, I now know that deck planking ought to be caulked, and ought to have treenails, and that knowledge won't go away.
And of course, I'm aware that there will be more, similar tests of my character as the build goes along.
And I don't think it's going to be possible to find a comfortable compromise between the two extremes.

I think this build is going to take a LONG time!
probablynot

Postby probablynot » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:26 pm

Sorry, Donnie! Can't keep away!

Thought you might like to see how things are going on with my Enterprise build.
The deck planking is done. I decided against trying to simulate trenails - the necessary precision is well beyond my skill level. But I did use a black wax crayon to help give the impression of caulking between the planks. Looks reasonably good, even though I says it myself!

And now I'm making progress with the hull planking. Four pairs are already on, and the fifth is in progress. I'm trying to make my planking look good enough to avoid the need for the veneer-thick second layer! Time will tell whether I'm good enough for that!
Attachments
R130730.JPG
R130730.JPG (155.8 KiB) Viewed 6388 times
JScolum
Petty Officer Third Class
Petty Officer Third Class

Postby JScolum » Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:28 pm

You see my log ? viewtopic.php?f=52&t=178

Return to “SOS Build Logs from Kits - Wood”