Mare Nostrum (Artesania Latina kit) by Probablynot

This Build Log Section is for Wood Ships. Enter your Build Log here. It is advisable for others to follow your Build Log to start your post such as "Build Log: HMS Ship name"

Moderators: Aussie048, zoly99sask

probablynot
Petty Officer Second Class

Re: Mare Nostrum (Artesania Latina kit) by Probablynot

Postby probablynot » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:48 pm

Sorry, my friends! I should have brought you up to date on my build rather earlier than this, but something called Life got in the way!

Tha tapering of the mast was an easy task, with the bench drill to rotate it and various grades of sandpaper to take away the unwanted wood.
Stepping the mast was easy enough too. I had glued pieces of spare plywood each side of the mast slot in the false keel (why didn't the plans tell me to do this?). So the mast was stepped upright, and vertical.
Then I noticed that one side of the wood-dowelling trawl rig was about 1.5mm taller than the other! I had to carefully detach the whole rig, thanking Providence that it was only attached by four tiny dabs of superglue, then make the adjustment and reattach it. These last stages of the build seem to be more fiddly than any of the earlier stages!

And here I was, at the rigging stage.
At first I tried to make the running rigging work. But not a chance! In real life, those little 'blocks' would presumably have had rotating pulley wheels inside them. However, I did make sure I got the 'ropes' looking as though they'd work properly.

The standing rigging was another matter. I would have liked to have got the shrouds tighter, but there was no easy means of doing so. But I did my best.
And the ratlines. The task that even the experienced model builders seem to hate!
I'm rather proud of what I did, actually. The picture on the kit box looks as though the ratlines were just glued on, but I knotted mine. OK, I did add little dabs of superglue to make sure nothing slipped, and I used a fingernail clipper to cut off the sticking-out ends.

The final job was to make a plinth for my model. Others have indicated that their Mare Nostrum kits included a base. Mine didn't. So I had to look for a bit of hardwood that I could use to make my own.
I found a lovely mahogany shelf in a second-hand furniture shop. It was quite a task to dismantle it and start to slice it up in my workshop. When I'd planed the varnish off it turned out it was keruing, not mahogany, but I was happy to go along with that.

So.

Now my Mare Nostrum is completed. And it's on a plinth that (inadvertently) makes it look as though a whale has flicked it up in the air and balanced it on its fluke!

Except that it isn't the Mare Nostrum. It's 'La Petite Nella'. Underneath the plinth, I've inset a little cardboard plaque explaining what the model is, who built it, when it was built, and why I named her 'La Petite Nella' instead of Mare Nostrum.

[Sigh! I've got five pictures to add, but I need to resize them! When I've done it, I'll append them in a separate post!]
probablynot

Postby probablynot » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:08 pm

... and here they are!
Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (147.21 KiB) Viewed 2938 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (149.5 KiB) Viewed 2938 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (151.83 KiB) Viewed 2938 times
4.jpg
4.jpg (156.36 KiB) Viewed 2938 times
5.JPG
5.JPG (159.46 KiB) Viewed 2938 times
otrax01
Petty Officer First Class
Petty Officer First Class

Postby otrax01 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:06 pm

The 'Whale's Tail' was a very nice touch and I liked the fact that you had a story behind the name. Here's to looking at fond memories when we gaze upon our accomplishments. Nice job Brian.
Kent
Remember, When your out in the shop, Ship Happens!
GaryM
Senoir Chief Petty Officer
Senoir Chief Petty Officer

Postby GaryM » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:21 pm

I agree with Kent. Story, ship and stand are nicely done.
Happy modeling,
Gary Maple

Problems are just challenges waiting for your solution.

Current build: Sergal Sovereign of the Seas
In Que: Sergal: Cutty Sark and Amerigo Vespucci; Billings Titanic
Completed: Amati: HMS Prince (old 1:78 version); Billings: Norske Love and Vasa; Mantua: La Couronne; Sergal: Mississippi Riverboat and La Soleil Royal
probablynot

Postby probablynot » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:12 pm

Thanks, everyone, for your comments, help and advice.
Seems to me this is where this log comes to an end.
Maybe there ought to be a separate thread where completed logs get transferred to? Just a thought ...

Return to “SOS Build Logs from Kits - Wood”