Mare Nostrum (Artesania Latina kit) by Probablynot

This Build Log Section is for Wood Ships. Enter your Build Log here. It is advisable for others to follow your Build Log to start your post such as "Build Log: HMS Ship name"
probablynot
Petty Officer Second Class

Mare Nostrum (Artesania Latina kit) by Probablynot

Postby probablynot » Sat May 11, 2013 6:54 pm

I'm doing a step-by-step build log for my Mare Nostrum in Another Place. As I write this the build is very well advanced, but for SOS members I'm using hindsight to try and create a more structured and considered record.
This is my first-ever build. Please don't expect an expert's log. When I make mistakes, you'll see them. And you'll see how I corrected them or got round them! If I did, that is!

Some build-loggers like to photograph the kit itself, before it gets split up and 'organised' for the initial stages of the build. Sorry - it just didn't occur to me, at the time, to take such a picture!

The kit:
It had all the materials needed for the build, EXCEPT there was no 0.5mm by 5mm timber for the second planking. The instructions said nothing at all about double-layer planking, although it is obvious from the pictures on the kit box that a second layer needs to be put on.

All the shapes that are made from sheet wood were laser-cut. This is good, for accuracy, but the laser process burns the edges of each piece black. Not a problem for things like the false keel and frames (which get covered up), but items like the keel and the bulwark cap-rails need to have the burn marks carefully sanded off before they're fitted.
The cut pieces are held in place by 1mm-wide tabs of uncut wood. Don't just push the pieces out from the sheet - you're liable to cause damage if you do. It's better to cut through each tab using a craft knife.

I'll do a separate 'post' for each picture (or set of pictures) of my build, with comment on the picture(s) and on the processes leading up to it. Forgive me if I take some time between posts - my Beloved One has just had an emergency admittance to hospital, which (I'm sure you'll understand) takes precedence!

Anyway ...

My first picture shows the false keel and frames assembled. You might think that's the easy bit, but it's important to check [i] that the false keel is perfectly straignt, and [ii] that each frame is attached at a precise 90° angle to the keel. Me, I got the 90° right, but I just assumed the keel would be straight. This led to problems (which will become evident later in this log!).
Attachments
130110b.JPG
130110b.JPG (89.33 KiB) Viewed 4567 times
probablynot

Re: Mare Nostrum (Artesania Latina kit) by Probablynot

Postby probablynot » Sat May 11, 2013 7:12 pm

Actually the keel probably was straight, at that stage.
This second pic shows the lower deck added, plus some detail. The deck had to be planked with 0.5mm basswood before it was fitted. I didn't bother to paint the edges of the planks black (to simulate caulking) but hey, this is my first ever build!
I took care to apply the planks so that they created an interesting, and hopefully authentic, pattern.

Those little bunks in the cabin are intricate and pretty (they include some of my own add-on detail), but when the build is complete there is NO WAY to see them! So OK. It's my model, and when it's finished I'll know they're there!

I think the keel might have taken on a bit of a curve when I added the lower deck. Easy to see in retrospect, but it shows how important it is to measure and remeasure at all these early stages of the build.
Attachments
Obs04a.JPG
Obs04a.JPG (105.45 KiB) Viewed 4566 times
Donnie
Senoir Chief Petty Officer

Postby Donnie » Sat May 11, 2013 7:52 pm

Now, this is going to be an interesting log. Thanks for taking the time to post your work. Very realistic beds. I like 'em.

Donnie
Current Build Prep: Panart San Felipe 1:75
Completed Build: Santisima Trinidad

Main SOS Site: Ships of Scale Website

No Guts, No Glory !
otrax01
Petty Officer First Class

Postby otrax01 » Sat May 11, 2013 8:15 pm

Very detailed work Brian, Looks like you have a very steady hand. Is there anyway to go back and open that cabin door and maybe see in that way?
Kent
Remember, When your out in the shop, Ship Happens!

Postby probablynot » Sat May 11, 2013 8:28 pm

Sorry Kent. The 'door' in the pic doesn't open! The hinges were snipped from a bit of paperclip wire, and the doorknob is a 2mm bit cut from a cocktail stick!
(I'm off to bed now. Might post the next instalment tomorrow evening.)
probablynot

Postby probablynot » Sun May 12, 2013 5:19 pm

This is where I went wrong. Although I didn't know it yet.
It was fun planking the deck. I used superglue to attach the planks, although in retrospect it would probably have been easier to use ordinary white wood glue.
When you attach the main deck to the hull assembly, you have the problem that the deck needs to curve in two directions. At the same time, you have to ensure that the frames underneath it sit dead centrally (ie, without sticking out on either side). And even when you get that right, you have to look along the (false) keel and check that all your manoeuvrings haven't caused it to bend. Really, you don't want a bent false keel.
I had a bent false keel. As you will see, later on.
Attachments
Obs06a.JPG
Obs06a.JPG (100.29 KiB) Viewed 4546 times
probablynot

Postby probablynot » Sun May 12, 2013 5:42 pm

I started the planking. The first-layer planking. OK, the kit didn't actually say the hull needed to be double-planked, but I proceeded on the basis that I would be adding a second, half-mm thick, prettier skin later on.
As a bit of relief from the chore of planking, I also started to make some of the things that would have to go on the deck. Here are the fish-boxes. And the little steps (aka ladder) that lead down from deck level into the cabin where I built the bunks.

Hint. When I started the planking, I was using a pin-pusher. Big mistake! It's too crude a tool. It wasn't until I was nearly through the planking process that I switched to using a tiny hammer to nail the planks to the frames.
It's a hammer with a one-ounce head.
Easy. Make a pilot hole for the nail with (eg) a map pin. Put the nail into the hole, and then gently tap-tap-tap until it's home.
Attachments
Obs12a.JPG
Obs12a.JPG (117.71 KiB) Viewed 4546 times
probablynot

Postby probablynot » Sun May 12, 2013 6:02 pm

I ought to mention at this point that I realised the kit didn't include enough 0.6mm by 5mm wood to allow for a second layer of planking.
I spent money, and bought some walnut veneer.
It was - is - beautiful! I got about 10 square feet for £20 ($30?). Using a craft knife, and being careful to slant it slightly inwards when I cut, I sliced off enough 5mm-wide strips (planks) to complete the second layer of planks. It was important to cut pieces that had reasonably-matching grain patterns.
I also cut a patch of veneer big enough to play around with, while I made the fish boxes. The box bases are veneer patches; the strengthing strips across the top are also veneer. The result is, the fish boxes are condiserably lighter and thinner than the kit specifies. So they go much easier onto the model than that peculiar-looking fish-box rack.
otrax01

Postby otrax01 » Sun May 12, 2013 7:50 pm

I know you said a problem will be coming up, but right now I can't see it. The build looks great to me.
Kent
Remember, When your out in the shop, Ship Happens!
Donnie

Postby Donnie » Mon May 13, 2013 9:01 am

Brian,
it seems like you are right on track. Yep, the push nailer is not the best. You found a logical workaround. the thing about wooden ships, is that it "is" an art and a craft. You are not gluing pieces "together" you are making the pieces by hand. this is what makes two models the same be diff from each other. You are installing your own taste and personality into it.
Even though you are far into your planking, If you have not done this, I highly suggest it: run hot water from the sink onto your plank for about a min or two. While you are running the hot water on the plank, then take your hand(s) and start to carefully bend that plank while at the same time holding it under the stream of hot water. eventually, you will have a nicely bent plank and when it dries (since I am slightly impatient), I use a hair dryer to quicken the process so that I can mount that plank and move on to the next. I actually have a video on all of these things that I do, but I am NOT a movie star, nor do I look like a movie star. It is what it is. the link to my videos
are here: www.shipsofscale.com/videos/
Video #7 shows the hot water - that is if you can bear looking at me. I was like half to my senses when I did this - the Admiral was doing the video of which I was more concerned about her doing it right than me doing the tutorial. Complete distractions !!!!
Oh well. Just take a look and let me know what you think.

Donnie
Current Build Prep: Panart San Felipe 1:75
Completed Build: Santisima Trinidad

Main SOS Site: Ships of Scale Website

No Guts, No Glory !

Return to “SOS Build Logs from Kits - Wood”