Korean Turtle War Ship - Young Modeler - 1/65

This Build Log Section is for Wood Ships. Enter your Build Log here. It is advisable for others to follow your Build Log to start your post such as "Build Log: HMS Ship name"

Moderator: zoly99sask

wim500
Petty Officer Second Class

Korean Turtle War Ship - Young Modeler - 1/65

Postby wim500 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:43 pm

Already a few years ago I was looking to a documentary (Discovery) about the battle between Korea and Japan. The Turtle Ship had the leading role and at the end I know that I had to build this ship. I have made searches on the internet and could only find one kit from Young Modeler (South-Korea). There is also a 1/100 scale kit, see the nice topic about this ship from Mike Szwarc (MSW) – it's because of this topic I could not let the box closed anymore .

Some wikipedia: (full text: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turtle_ship )

"The Turtle ship, also known as Geobukseon(거북선), was a type of large warship belonging to the Panokseon class in Korea that was used intermittently by the Royal Korean Navy during the Joseon Dynasty from the early 15th century up until the 19th century.
The first references to older, first generation turtle ships, known as Gwiseon (귀선; 龜船), come from 1413 and 1415 records in the Annals of the Joseon Dynasty, which mention a mock battle between a gwiseon and a Japanese warship.
However, these early turtle ships soon fell out of use as Korea’s naval preparedness decreased during a long period of relative peace.
Turtle ships participated against Japanese naval forces that supported Toyotomi Hideyoshi's attempts to conquer Korea from 1592-1598. Korean admiral Yi Sun-sin is credited with designing the ship. His turtle ships were equipped with at least five different types of cannon. Their most distinguishable feature was a dragon-shaped head at the bow (front) that could launch cannon fire or flames from the mouth. Each was also equipped with a fully covered deck to deflect arrow fire, musket-shots,
and incendiary weapons. The deck was covered with iron spikes to discourage enemy men from attempting to board the hip. Claims that it was iron-plated remain controversial."

A replica is shown in the War Memorial in Seoul.

Controversial or not, I will build her covered with the iron spikes.

Some pictures of the box and its content:

And started already with a dryfit - total length will be 60 cm:

Regards,
Wim
Anja
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Re: Korean Turtle War Ship - Young Modeler - 1/65

Postby Anja » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:51 am

Hello Wim,

I must say, this is something very different. A gloomy appearance and a fearsome figurehead.

It seems all the action on this ship is happening below decks. I wonder what's down there.
It will be interesting to follow you on this one.

Good luck with the build.

Take care,

Anja
popeye
Master Chief Petty Officer

Postby popeye » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:48 am

I've see one of these being built! really cool kit
StevieF

Postby StevieF » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:49 am

This looks a very interesting kit, I haven't seen anything like this before.
The box contents looks to be of a decent quality and plenty of fittings, this is a build that I will need to keep my eye on.
Steve..
wim500

Postby wim500 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:41 pm

Anja, popeye and Steve, thanks for looking in :)

@Anja
All the action is below decks indeed. It must have been very crowded with about 60-80 oarsmen and 60 marines. On each side you can find at least 10 cannons and another cannon could be placed in the dragonshead when is wasn't used for the sulfurgas.

Some progress.
I have started with the pedestal frame. I used some oil, the reason why It's still a bit shiny.

The hull is not so complicated, very flat but it's according to the original ship.
With a little help of "Lego" I glued the first five frames:

The planking will be layered and frames are already prepared for it by the manufacturer:

I'm satisfied with the first results:
Regards,
Wim
GaryM
Senoir Chief Petty Officer

Postby GaryM » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:15 pm

Very interesting take on the planking. Kind of a clinker build. Will really make planking easy. The whole kit should go together really fast and make for a nice display.
Happy modeling,
Gary Maple

Problems are just challenges waiting for your solution.

Current build: Sergal Sovereign of the Seas
In Que: Sergal: Cutty Sark and Amerigo Vespucci; Billings Titanic
Completed: Amati: HMS Prince (old 1:78 version); Billings: Norske Love and Vasa; Mantua: La Couronne; Sergal: Mississippi Riverboat and La Soleil Royal
wim500

Postby wim500 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:36 am

It's a clinker build indeed and frames are already prepared for it. This kind of planking was most common for Korean ships in that period. So far I'm satisfied with the kit, nice manual, nice wood, etc.
Regards,
Wim
popeye

Postby popeye » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:05 pm

this kit has the makings of being popular.....I've seen another build spring up on another site. nice progress so far Wim
Donnie

Postby Donnie » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:00 pm

Wim,
it seems you always have this knack of choosing the most esoteric ships to build. I would have never found this ship. This is a new one on me. Just like your other builds, I am sure that you will do it justice with your talent.

Donnie
Current Build Prep: Panart San Felipe 1:75
Completed Build: Santisima Trinidad

Main SOS Site: Ships of Scale Website

No Guts, No Glory !
cog

Postby cog » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:34 am

Wim,

Impressive kit, quite a lot of goodies in it :D I'm looking for a Japanese ship, as I'm interested in that culture. However, there's not a lot to be found, if any. Anyway. I'll follow your progress with interest. Have fun with this slant eyed lady
Cheers,
Carl

Current build:
Kit
Dolphyn - Corel

Scratch
Sea Witch

Next build: (on the shelf) Arno XI

Return to “SOS Build Logs from Kits - Wood”