Build Log: USRC Harriet Lane 1:128 Scale Model Shipways

This Build Log Section is for Wood Ships. Enter your Build Log here. It is advisable for others to follow your Build Log to start your post such as "Build Log: HMS Ship name"

Moderators: Aussie048, zoly99sask

trippwj
Petty Officer Third Class

Build Log: USRC Harriet Lane 1:128 Scale Model Shipways

Postby trippwj » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:37 pm

Greetings from the illustrious maritime state of Arkansas. I started work on the Revenue Cutter Harriet Lane in March, 2012. The following information is courtesy of the US Coast Guard:

HARRIET LANE, built for the Treasury Department by William H. Webb, was launched in New York City in November 1857. She served as a revenue cutter until temporarily transferred to the Navy late in 1858. Her new assignment took her to Paraguay with a squadron ordered to support the discussions of U.S. Special Commissioner James B. Bowlin with Dictator Carlos Antonio Lopez concerning reparations for damages incurred during an unprovoked attack on WATERWITCH by the Paraguayan forces 1 February 1855. This display of sea power quickly won the United States a prompt and respectful hearing which 4 years of diplomacy had failed to obtain. In his report Flag Officer W. B. Shubrick singled out HARRIET LANE for special commendation on the invaluable service she rendered in extricating his other ships repeatedly running aground in the treacherous waters of the Parana River.

Returning to the United States, HARRIET LANE resumed her former duties as a revenue cutter. In September 1860 she embarked Edward Albert, the Prince of Wales, the first member of the British Royal Family to visit the United States, for passage to Mount Vernon where he planted a tree and placed a wreath on the tomb of George Washington.

HARRIET LANE again transferred to the Navy 30 March 1861 for service in the expedition sent to Charleston Harbor, S.C., to supply the Fort Sumter garrison. She departed New York 8 April and arrived off Charleston 11 April. The next day she fired a shot across the bow of NASHVILLE when that merchantman appeared with no colors flying. NASHVILLE avoided further attack by promptly hoisting the United States ensign, but 2 days later raised the Palmetto flag to begin her career as one of the most elusive Confederate privateers. When Major Anderson surrendered Fort Sumpter 13 April, HARRIET LANE withdrew with her sister ships.

Her next important service came the following summer when a task force was sent against Fort Clark and Fort Hatteras on the outer banks of North Carolina to check blockade running in the area, The ships sortied from Hampton Roads 26 August 1861 for this first important combined amphibious operation of the war. The next morning HARRIET LANE, MONTICELLO, and PAWNEE slipped close inshore to provide direct support to the landings while heavier ships pounded the forts from deeper water.

HARRIET LANE ran aground while attempting to enter Pamlico Sound through Hatteras Inlet 29 August and suffered severe damage while fast on the shoal. She was refloated at the cost of her armament, rigging, stores, provisions, and everything else on board which could be heaved over the side to lighten ship. Temporary repairs completed 5 September, she proceeded to Hampton Roads, arriving 8 September 1861.

HARRIET LANE sailed 10 February 1862 to join Comdr. D. D. Porter's Mortar Flotilla at Key West, where units were assembling for an attack on Confederate forts In the Mississippi River Delta below New Orleans. Comdr. Porter embarked at Washington. During her passage to Hampton Roads, HARRIET LANE was taken under fire by the Confederate battery at Shipping Point, Va., which inflicted such damage to her port wheel that her departure for Key West was delayed another 2 days. On 24 February, she captured the Confederate schooner JOANNA WARD off Florida.

Following blockade duty in Mobile Bay, HARRIET LANE sailed for Galveston, Tex., which she bombarded and captured with the aid of WESTFIELD, OSASCO, CLIFTON, and HENRY JAMES, 3 October 1862. She was in Galveston Harbor when the Confederates retook that base 1 January 1863 ; and, after a bitter contest in which her captain, Comdr. J. M. Wainwright and executive officer, Lt. Comdr. Edward Lea, were killed, she fell into Southern hands. After serving the Confederate Army's Marine Department of Texas, she was sold to T. W. House, who converted her into a blockade runner named LAVINIA. She finally escaped Galveston 30 April 1864 and sailed to Havana, where she was interned. In 1867, following the war, she was recovered from Cuba ; was converted to a bark rig ; and renamed ELLIOTT RICHIE. She was abandoned off Pernambuco, Brazil, 13 May 1884.

Harriet Lane measured 270 feet long, 22 feet wide and 12 feet from the bottom of the hull to the main deck. Her propulsion was a double-right-angled marine engine with two side paddles, supported by two masts; the entire ship was sheathed and fastened with copper. From stern to bow, the captain's cabin and stateroom sat above an aft magazine, forward of which was a second magazine with the officer quarters above. Forward of this, in the midships was the engine machinery and coal supply, and beyond this the quarters and galley for the non-commissioned ranks which sat above a third magazine.
Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus
trippwj

Re: Build Log: USRC Harriet Lane 1:128 Scale Model Shipways

Postby trippwj » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:49 pm

Initial progress was decidedly slow - I didn't even begin taking pictures until about 3 months in - silly me, didn't think about looking for on-line forums (fora?) until I had stumbled along quite a long time! This is my first model in over 40 years, and first ever wooden ship, so a pretty steep learning curve (actually, more of a vertical line...) but I am persevering. The following are a few shots of my progress as of September 2012. Will add some more when I get off work and can switch to my personal computer.
Attachments
Harriet Lane 020a.jpg
October 2012 - foremast coming along well
Harriet Lane 020a.jpg (138.96 KiB) Viewed 6011 times
1349576064_2648_FT4587_harriet_lane_035_.jpg
1349576064_2648_FT4587_harriet_lane_035_.jpg (40.26 KiB) Viewed 6011 times
1347826808_2648_FT4587_usrc_hl_1_.jpg
1347826808_2648_FT4587_usrc_hl_1_.jpg (39.56 KiB) Viewed 6011 times
Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus
cog
Petty Officer Second Class
Petty Officer Second Class

Postby cog » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:01 pm

Wayne,

Indeed Fora (latin ;-) )

I love these and the Mississippi paddle wheelers. They still look like real ships. It is indeed a pitty you started taking pictures after 3 months, but you can keep them coming from now on :D We love pictures!!!

She is looking good. It seems you are handling that steep learning curve rather well.
Cheers,
Carl

Current build:
Kit
Dolphyn - Corel

Scratch
Sea Witch

Next build: (on the shelf) Arno XI
Anja
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Postby Anja » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:15 pm

Hello Wayne,

It's great to see a paddle wheeler here. Just recently I watched a tv program about the American Queen, whiich is said to be the largest ever built. They are beautiful.

Thanks for sharing your log and the information.
It's always nice to learn about the history of a ship.

Looking forward to some more pictures :D

Take care,

Anja
GaryM
Senoir Chief Petty Officer
Senoir Chief Petty Officer

Postby GaryM » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:19 pm

Great history. That is a challenging model to attempt as a first wood ship. A totally different world than plastic models but more beautiful and fulfilling. Being on this forum will help flatten that learning curve. Glad to have you aboard.
Happy modeling,
Gary Maple

Problems are just challenges waiting for your solution.

Current build: Sergal Sovereign of the Seas
In Que: Sergal: Cutty Sark and Amerigo Vespucci; Billings Titanic
Completed: Amati: HMS Prince (old 1:78 version); Billings: Norske Love and Vasa; Mantua: La Couronne; Sergal: Mississippi Riverboat and La Soleil Royal
popeye
Master Chief Petty Officer

Postby popeye » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:34 pm

good to see you posted the H.L. build Wayne......looks like you've gotten a lot done since I last saw her......looking really good!
trippwj

Postby trippwj » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:07 pm

Thanks, Gents - look for several more photo's tonight. She has come a long way - might even post some of the "Oh, CRUD" events as I bring her up to date!
Wayne

Epictetus
popeye

Postby popeye » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:32 pm

wouldn't be a build without 'em Wayne ;-)
trippwj

Postby trippwj » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:05 pm

So, here is some of my progress into November 2012.
Attachments
11 Nov 12.jpg
Nothing like having a micro drill bit slip a tiny smidgen and ruin a perfectly good spar...
11 Nov 12.jpg (49.44 KiB) Viewed 5990 times
19Nov12_HL_001c.jpg
Working on a bunch of detail stuff..
19Nov12_HL_001c.jpg (46.24 KiB) Viewed 5990 times
19Nov12_HL_003.jpg
The Naval Constructor, Almanza, has joined the crew here at the shipyard as well.
19Nov12_HL_003.jpg (143.03 KiB) Viewed 5990 times
Wayne

Epictetus
Sjors55
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Postby Sjors55 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:14 am

Nice, very nice Wayne.
I'll be sitting in the front seat and watch you!

Sjors
Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it is very important that you do it.
(Mahatma Gandhi)

Current build:
Le Mirage by Corel (1:75)

Current build: San Ildefonso by OcCre (1:70)
viewtopic.php?f=52&t=279

Return to “SOS Build Logs from Kits - Wood”