Sovereign of the Seas by Mantua

This Build Log Section is for Wood Ships. Enter your Build Log here. It is advisable for others to follow your Build Log to start your post such as "Build Log: HMS Ship name"

Moderators: Aussie048, zoly99sask

likenew
Petty Officer Second Class

Sovereign of the Seas by Mantua

Postby likenew » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:42 am

Hi All, Havent been around for a while only because I had nothing to build and was unable to afford something to build. I know if I would have been here daily I would have gotten the itch and bought something which I could not afford at the time.

The Kit, Sovereign of the Seas, by far the most expensive kit I have ever attempted, so better then normal care will be taken here.
When you open the 28LB box it is almost overwhelming on the number of blister packs of fittings, brass and pre made parts. Looking through the instruction book, the pictures are all in full color and comes with 9 pages of plans. The down side here is that there is almost no printed material to accompany the step by step instructions in the book, with the exception of a "glue", or "cut", and "paint". I guess that Mantua feels if you reached this level of building you really dont need printed instructions, I disagree.

So here are some pictures of the project that I will try and update from time to time.
Attachments
IMG_0339-1.jpg
IMG_0339-1.jpg (67.62 KiB) Viewed 6835 times
IMG_0337.jpg
IMG_0337.jpg (50.79 KiB) Viewed 6835 times
IMG_0336.jpg
IMG_0336.jpg (48.07 KiB) Viewed 6835 times
IMG_0335.jpg
IMG_0335.jpg (65.05 KiB) Viewed 6835 times
IMG_0343.jpg
IMG_0343.jpg (52.2 KiB) Viewed 6835 times
IMG_0356.jpg
IMG_0356.jpg (55.38 KiB) Viewed 6835 times
likenew

Re: Sovereign of the Seas by Mantua

Postby likenew » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:49 am

Here are some pictures of the decks going in.
Attachments
IMG_0364.jpg
Bow wall at base of bow sprit
IMG_0364.jpg (46.58 KiB) Viewed 6833 times
IMG_0369.jpg
There are 3 sets of triple curved walls that have to be cut and bent from a single piece of plywood. I made these "spring clamps" from some scrap and they worked great
IMG_0369.jpg (69.16 KiB) Viewed 6833 times
IMG_0376.jpg
another picture of the clamps
IMG_0376.jpg (63.27 KiB) Viewed 6833 times
IMG_0375.jpg
looking down the deck
IMG_0375.jpg (60.49 KiB) Viewed 6833 times
IMG_0372.jpg
2 of the 3 installed
IMG_0372.jpg (61.55 KiB) Viewed 6833 times
likenew

Postby likenew » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:56 am

These are some pictures of the completed first layer of planking of the hull. In 2 of these shots I am also laying out the first lf 3 levels of gun ports and cutting them out.
Attachments
IMG_0111.jpg
IMG_0111.jpg (41.48 KiB) Viewed 6833 times
IMG_0112.jpg
IMG_0112.jpg (38.7 KiB) Viewed 6833 times
IMG_0122.jpg
IMG_0122.jpg (54.19 KiB) Viewed 6833 times
IMG_0387.jpg
IMG_0387.jpg (42.59 KiB) Viewed 6833 times
IMG_0114.jpg
These are 2 little tools that I made to sand the gun ports square. They simply are 5" adhesive no hole sanding disks and a cloths pin. Cut a piece of sand paper out of the disk, remove the backing and stick it to the cloths pin, when you need a new piece of sand paper, peel off the old and stick on a new. Works like a charm and is real good to get into tight spaces.
IMG_0114.jpg (52.42 KiB) Viewed 6833 times
likenew

Postby likenew » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:58 am

Some shots of the deck
Attachments
IMG_0117.jpg
IMG_0117.jpg (74.52 KiB) Viewed 6833 times
IMG_0118.jpg
IMG_0118.jpg (70.69 KiB) Viewed 6833 times
IMG_0119.jpg
IMG_0119.jpg (75.29 KiB) Viewed 6833 times
IMG_0120.jpg
IMG_0120.jpg (68.02 KiB) Viewed 6833 times
Sjors55
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Postby Sjors55 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:21 am

Hi Likenew,

Great ship and you've made very nice progress on her.
This one is on my wish list so I will follow you closely.
So keep us updated.

Sjors
Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it is very important that you do it.
(Mahatma Gandhi)

Current build:
Le Mirage by Corel (1:75)

Current build: San Ildefonso by OcCre (1:70)
viewtopic.php?f=52&t=279
GaryM
Senoir Chief Petty Officer
Senoir Chief Petty Officer

Postby GaryM » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:47 pm

When you reach the level to do an advanced master level ship, you should only need a good set of plans and a list of parts to use that can not be easily determined from the plans. For items that are particular to the ship that are not standard or require a special method of building, a detailed picture of assembly should be adequate. This is all I have to build the Soleil Royal and find it very adequate. You may have to look on more than one plan to find out the dimension and determine how to construct the assembly but everything is there to complete the build.
By the way, the inside bulwark and the cannon frames were a blood-like color.
You seem to be doing a great job assembling the model. I know that some of the sizes and assembly may take a while to find and figure out. Just don't rush and if you are not sure how to proceed, work on something else and let your subconscious work on it for you. The key is look ahead several steps and try to anticipate how you will get there.
Figuring out how to bend the plywood right shows that you have the ability to complete this lengthy project. The key is take your time and proceed only when you as sure you are right. Good Luck and keep up the good work.
Happy modeling,
Gary Maple

Problems are just challenges waiting for your solution.

Current build: Sergal Sovereign of the Seas
In Que: Sergal: Cutty Sark and Amerigo Vespucci; Billings Titanic
Completed: Amati: HMS Prince (old 1:78 version); Billings: Norske Love and Vasa; Mantua: La Couronne; Sergal: Mississippi Riverboat and La Soleil Royal
Donnie
Master Chief Petty Officer

Postby Donnie » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:24 am

Man alive !!! What a huge ship ! What you have done so far really looks top drawer. I understand completely about the instructions. Hopefully, there is more info out there than what I have suffered on that Trinidad.

I wish you well with it and I am certainly going to keep my eye on this one. Boy do I wish I had that Triny finished. :roll:

Donnie
Current Build Prep: Panart San Felipe 1:75
Completed Build: Santisima Trinidad

Main SOS Site: Ships of Scale Website

No Guts, No Glory !
likenew

Postby likenew » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:17 am

Thanks for all the votes of encourgement. I have some reasearch to do to try and make the model more realistic, such as the kit does not have any provisioning for life boats or captains launch which should be lashed to the main deck. Also When it comes to gun carrage placement we all know that there are a series of lines that operate the positioning of the cannon as well as stowing when not ran out. There is a small picture showing how the blocks are situated, where the rings on the carrage, deck and gun wails would be placed but it is unknown if there are enough of the blocks and rings in the fittings kit. Also placement of the gun wail rings is limited because of the pin rails that are mounted in the same place. I am going to try and find some info and pictures addressing these issues. Also if anyone knows where I can find 1/78th scale sailors of the era it would be greatly appreciated.

@Gary: By the way, the inside bulwark and the cannon frames were a blood-like color. I am leaving the inside of the bullwarks walnut only because I have reseverations about painting walnut. The only reason that I am painting the blue is because I like the way all of the brass ornaments look against it :cool:

Joe
popeye

Postby popeye » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:39 am

it proves my point about instructions.....I see this all the time with Billing kits. I don't speak for everyone.....but if companies illustrated every aspect of the build, the instructions would be as thick as a dictionary. it is sad though, because, should a person of lesser ability buy this kit.....they'd be lost! looks to me that your muddling through them just fine! :D

Superb progress so far, my friend! what a beautiful ship to model! I'd like to get one of these larger kits, but that's my problem as well.....my budget director is very strict! :lol: :lol: I look forward in seeing more progress on this fine build!

go nutz, my friend.........GO NUTZ!!! :handgestures-thumbupleft:
popeye

Postby popeye » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:55 am

that's the other problem with these kits......plastic, as well as wood. most kits are generic, in my opinion......to come up with an exact replica kit, would push the cost through the roof. this, along with the expanded instruction manual, would be quite an undertaking on their part......and think of the size of the box!

the Wasa is a good example of omission of detail.....the Gothenborg is another... in fittings, as well as rigging detail. some of these ships have little to no history documentation on them........so what are these folks using to base these kit on?
they are going by scant accounts and ship construction theory of the country in which they were built. the information is out there somewhere......it's up to us as modelers, to do the research and fact finding.

Return to “SOS Build Logs from Kits - Wood”