New and building the Wasa

This Build Log Section is for Wood Ships. Enter your Build Log here. It is advisable for others to follow your Build Log to start your post such as "Build Log: HMS Ship name"

Moderator: zoly99sask

Oliver
Seaman
Seaman

New and building the Wasa

Postby Oliver » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:11 pm

Hi to all out there!
i've just started building the Wasa of 1628.

i'm thinking of buying some new planks for the hull in walnut. the ones that came with the kit is way to light for my taste. i'm not going to paint the hull, only varnish it so i want a nice, dark hull. does anyone have any tips of what brand/type i should use? i was also thinking of doing a double hull. this is not a part of the kit-plan so if i use think 1. planking wood i assume there will be some mess with the thickness compared to the rest of the dimensions. the plan was to use a very thin 1. layer and the 2. layer a bit thinner than what came with the kit. any thoughts around this? a good/bad idea? this is my first hull so i need all the advice i can get ;-)

here are some pictures of what i've done so far...
Attachments
1 (13).jpg
the bow...
1 (13).jpg (65.82 KiB) Viewed 5941 times
1 (12).jpg
the stern. the black "old fashioned" paperclips work perfectly when there are somewhere for them to attatch.
1 (12).jpg (72.8 KiB) Viewed 5941 times
1 (11).jpg
beginning to plank the stern.
1 (11).jpg (71.41 KiB) Viewed 5941 times
1 (10).jpg
the door on the upper level.
1 (10).jpg (75.73 KiB) Viewed 5941 times
1 (9).jpg
getting there with the planking of the doorway. i saw later that i made it a bit longer than it should have been...
1 (9).jpg (64.93 KiB) Viewed 5941 times
1 (7).jpg
the grid after i dressed it.
1 (7).jpg (66.32 KiB) Viewed 5941 times
1 (6).jpg
before and after of the grids. the ones that came with the kit was plastic and didn't look very authentic...:-P
1 (6).jpg (70.15 KiB) Viewed 5941 times
1 (5).jpg
before and after coal treatment
1 (5).jpg (83.75 KiB) Viewed 5941 times
1 (4).jpg
it's a bit spooky to put on the coal the first time. it takes some time to sand of and is quite messy,but the result is good.
1 (4).jpg (78.55 KiB) Viewed 5941 times
1 (3).jpg
from the front
1 (3).jpg (76.45 KiB) Viewed 5941 times
1 (2).jpg
the bulkheads are done!
1 (2).jpg (71.13 KiB) Viewed 5941 times
1 (1).jpg
getting started on the bulkheads
1 (1).jpg (75.59 KiB) Viewed 5941 times
Oliver

Current build: Vasa
On the wishlist: Santisima Trinidad, Sovereign of the Seas
barba
Petty Officer First Class
Petty Officer First Class

Re: New and building the Wasa

Postby barba » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:22 pm

Hi Oliver and welcome to SOS.

Wasa is beautiful ship, for me is to dificult for build because of all this carving. For hull planking, both ideas is good, I think its up to You, walnut is dark and nice but is a little dificult to work with. Darker what I work is peer, but is a dark red wood. Apple is a nice wood bur dificult to find.

Anyway, good luck with build!!

barba
Completed builds:
Trabakul:http://shipsofscale.com/gallery/iradosevic/trabakul/index.html
Pasara:http://www.shipsofscale.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=39
Bracera:http://www.shipsofscale.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=82
GaryM
Senoir Chief Petty Officer

Postby GaryM » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:29 pm

Welcome aboard. I think this is the Mantua model? The hull is one of the most important parts and since this is the first time you have done one, I would stick with the kit designed planking. You can use a stain to darken the planking which would be a lot cheaper and still varnish afterwards. If you get a darker wood, stick with the kit thickness and size. Most wood you can buy only come in 24" lengths and would require using more than one piece to cover the length of the hull. This could make keeping a line along the full length difficult when you need to start tapering the planks toward the bow. Also, the pieces that go on the completed hull and decks might not fit right and would cause you undue headaches. After you have built one of these monsters and gain experience with an advanced kit, then you might want to experiment.
Looks like you got of to a good start. Keep up the good work.
Happy modeling,
Gary Maple

Problems are just challenges waiting for your solution.

Current build: Sergal Sovereign of the Seas
In Que: Sergal: Cutty Sark and Amerigo Vespucci; Billings Titanic
Completed: Amati: HMS Prince (old 1:78 version); Billings: Norske Love and Vasa; Mantua: La Couronne; Sergal: Mississippi Riverboat and La Soleil Royal
popeye
Master Chief Petty Officer

Postby popeye » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:22 pm

yea, I agree with Gary........and if you still want to double plank her...you can get 0.07 X 5 X 550mm strip mahogany.......you might even find it in 7mm widths, and possibly in 880mm lengths. I suggest the 5mm though......it will lay on the turns much better......and it's a dark wood.
Oliver
Seaman
Seaman

Postby Oliver » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:00 pm

Hi and tanks for all your advise :D

this is the Billings model. I think i'll stick with the kit-plan like you and popeye say. Only thing is that the kit-planks Seim quite wide compared to the ship size. I know others who replaced it with narrower planks. But as you say, as my first real ship i should probably stick with the plan...

good idea, popeye, i'll check with my supplier if they have 0,07 wood.
Oliver

popeye

Postby popeye » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:46 pm

I have the Billing's plans for the wasa....ain't that a hoot! I can follow along. if you can't seem to find the wood you want, you can try Billing's:

http://www.billingboatsusa.com/

if your in the U.S.......should you call, the number is on the website, just let it slip that Popeye sent you.......might be able to scare you up a discount or something....who knows. I get newsletters all the time....I should figure out a way to post them, so everyone can take advantage of them.

remember that every ship is packed with a certain width of wood for a good reason. the wasa has so many distinct turns to the hull, it would probably be easier to use a narrower plank.....ships that don't have much of a curve, can handle a wider plank.....not so much contortion for the plank to follow.
GaryM

Postby GaryM » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:44 pm

That is interesting. The first wood model ship I build was the Wasa from Billing. Ship modeling has came a long way since then and will enjoy seeing how they have updated the kit. When I bought mine, all the parts were merely marked on the wood and you had to use a scroll saw to cut everything out. Parts that were cast were in pewter. Long before brass was used, photo etching, wax castings or laser cutting. Decals were used to simulate windows, carving and other items.
I still think Billings uses a lot of plastic for blocks and deadeyes. I would replaces as much of the plastic parts as possible. Amati makes the best fitting an is carried by www.agesofsail.com.
Good luck.
Happy modeling,
Gary Maple

Problems are just challenges waiting for your solution.

Current build: Sergal Sovereign of the Seas
In Que: Sergal: Cutty Sark and Amerigo Vespucci; Billings Titanic
Completed: Amati: HMS Prince (old 1:78 version); Billings: Norske Love and Vasa; Mantua: La Couronne; Sergal: Mississippi Riverboat and La Soleil Royal
popeye

Postby popeye » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:48 pm

Billing's still uses some plastic parts, but the blocks and dead eyes are wood. I got the reissue of the AmericA.....I'm replacing some of the plastic with wood, but everything is laser cut. the Nordkap was like that......but that was an old kit.

that turned out to be a cool build! my first one ;-) I made some changes with some of the aspects.....as I have with the AmericA. I have the hull finished, but not painted......I'm currently working on the deck aspects. I have had no problems with billing kits......none that I can't handle, anyway
Oliver
Seaman
Seaman

Postby Oliver » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:39 am

I want to get the decorations in brass. Even if i paint the plastic that came with the kit it will still look wrong to me. But the only plastic parts are the decor and the deck gratings and those i just dress in planks anyway. I'll try amati, thanks GaryM.
I'm in norway but i assume billings will send here too? The hull planks are 2x7mm i think, but very soft wood so should be eazy to bend i hope...
When i get home i'll do the doors w/walls on the bow. Then i miiiiiight start on the hull. If it turns out looking bad or i see i really want another wood i'll do like popeye said and get some 0, 07 mm wood :D it will be sanded down a bit anyway so i don't think it will look weird if i do...
Oliver

popeye

Postby popeye » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:56 am

since you are in Norway.....you might want to check their European site out. I had heard that they were relocating from Danmark to China. at least, that is from the last info I got on the subject.

http://www.billingboats.com/download.html

I do believe that Billings USA will ship to you though

Return to “SOS Build Logs from Kits - Wood”