Sovereign of the Seas by Sergal/Mantua

This Build Log Section is for Wood Ships. Enter your Build Log here. It is advisable for others to follow your Build Log to start your post such as "Build Log: HMS Ship name"

Moderators: Aussie048, zoly99sask

SgtGlick
Petty Officer Third Class

Sovereign of the Seas by Sergal/Mantua

Post by SgtGlick » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:56 pm

Hi all,
I am just starting my build of the Sovereign of the Seas by Sergal/Mantua.
Made a dry run mock up.
Question on the gun posts.
Plan # 1 Fig 6 shows the gun posts in slots lasered in gun decks # 19 and 20.
The gun posts are 6mm by 30 mm .
On the plan they appear to be equally centered up and down.
I made a drill jig to pin them in place.
Since then, I have heard ( from other modelers) that the locations of the lasered slots are in question.
Anyone have any info?
TIA,
Sgt Glick
P.S.
As soon as I learn how to attach photos, I can show my
drill Jig.

barba
Petty Officer First Class
Petty Officer First Class

Re: SOS for SOS

Post by barba » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:59 pm

Welcome Sgt Gclick

When You post You have a place for picture, below "preview" or "submit". Picture must be something about 800x600 pixels, not larger of 150Kb.

Good luck with the build.

Barba

GaryM
Senoir Chief Petty Officer
Senoir Chief Petty Officer

Post by GaryM » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:30 pm

The book: "Soverign of the Seas" by James Sephton will provide some answer to the spacing and cannon location. On my Soleil Royal, I modified the spacing and it still didn't feel right. Later, I found that part of the problem was the hull design.
"Great Ships" by Frank Fox has the best picture I could find of the painting of the ship and also it includes some references on the construction.
Knowing Mantua, I am sure there are several errors you will encounter thoughout the building process but the rigging will probably be the worst. i.e. There was no woolding on the missen and footropes were not used until after 1640. The first evidence is from a model of a 1642 vessel and a provision list from 1645.
I have not analysed the plans yet since I will not start Mantua's Soverign until I have finished the Le Soleil Royal.
Happy modeling,
Gary Maple

Problems are just challenges waiting for your solution.

Current build: Sergal Sovereign of the Seas
In Que: Sergal: Cutty Sark and Amerigo Vespucci; Billings Titanic
Completed: Amati: HMS Prince (old 1:78 version); Billings: Norske Love and Vasa; Mantua: La Couronne; Sergal: Mississippi Riverboat and La Soleil Royal

SgtGlick

Post by SgtGlick » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:31 pm

Thanks, Gary,
Going to look for that book.
Sgt Glick :cool:

Donnie
Master Chief Petty Officer

Re: Sovereign of the Seas by Sergal/Mantua

Post by Donnie » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:03 am

As Barba pointed out, as you finish writing your post, if you look near the bottom of your posting page, you will see a Dialog box to add an image.

One method that some of us use, including myself is that you can usually get a free account from places like photobucket.com, flikr, and others. Then you can post the IMG link back to your favorite image hosting site.

There are pros and cons to all of this. Using this boards image utility, you most likely are confined to a set image file size. You know, the board has to have room to grow and room for everyone to share. However, if you have your own image hosting website, then the board just goes out and grabs the image and inserts it and you are only limited by the image hosting guidelines.

Well, I hope that I have not confused you or anyone here. Usually I employ compression in my images to get the most out of them. I use Corel's Paint Shop Pro X5 as it is less costly around $59 to $79 depending if they have it on sale.

I would like to have Photoshop, but at the price of $699 or so, kinda hard to come up with that now. If you do not have a software for editing your ship pictures, I encourage you to get the Corel.

Donnie
Current Build: Panart San Felipe 1:75
Completed Build: Santisima Trinidad

Main SOS Site: Ships of Scale Website

"War Ships are safe at harbor, but that is not what they were made for"

SgtGlick

Post by SgtGlick » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:08 am

Thanks, Donnie
I will look at /for Corel.

Donnie

Post by Donnie » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:25 am

I just checked and Corel has the standard X5 for $59.99. You can download a full working trial for free for 30 days. Here is the link - I hope it works

http://www.corel.com/corel/product/inde ... id=8100002

The Ultimate version just gives you some filters and a few odd and ends stuff of which I have never used. The default directory is "My Pictures" , but that can be changed to any directory you wish. You can also establish "collections" folder or a "favorites" folder to work from.
Current Build: Panart San Felipe 1:75
Completed Build: Santisima Trinidad

Main SOS Site: Ships of Scale Website

"War Ships are safe at harbor, but that is not what they were made for"

SgtGlick

Post by SgtGlick » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:04 pm

Hi Donnie,
Thanks for the heads up.
I ordered Paintshop Pro X5 from Amazon.
$29.99
One day shipping
Special promo of Shipping discount of $18.98
Tax = $2.66
Bottom line to me
$32.65
Donnie wrote:I just checked and Corel has the standard X5 for $59.99. You can download a full working trial for free for 30 days. Here is the link - I hope it works

http://www.corel.com/corel/product/inde ... id=8100002

The Ultimate version just gives you some filters and a few odd and ends stuff of which I have never used. The default directory is "My Pictures" , but that can be changed to any directory you wish. You can also establish "collections" folder or a "favorites" folder to work from.

SgtGlick

Sovereign of the Seas Mock up

Post by SgtGlick » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:46 pm

Sovereign of the Seas Mock up

Going to upload a photo of my initial assembly sans glue
Sgt Glick
Attachments
IMG_0152[1].JPG
IMG_0152[1].JPG (85.44 KiB) Viewed 6718 times

StevieF
Petty Officer Second Class
Petty Officer Second Class

Re: Sovereign of the Seas Mock up

Post by StevieF » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:52 pm

Good to see another Sovereign! I understand its a different manufacturer, I am attempting the Artesania Latina/Deagostini partwork version. I did consider buying the Sergal complete kit but the rather large layout of £700 + put me off.
By the time I have collected and paid for all the weekly parts it will have cost me substantially more than that, but I like the easy payment option and the very good build instructions with the magazine. As someone else is now building a similar kit it may be possible to compare notes and help each other out along the way.
Good luck with the build, Steve.. :music-rockout:

Return to “SOS Build Logs from Kits - Wood”