Half Moon by Corel - Scale 1:50

This Build Log Section is for Wood Ships. Enter your Build Log here. It is advisable for others to follow your Build Log to start your post such as "Build Log: HMS Ship name"
Anja
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Half Moon by Corel - Scale 1:50

Postby Anja » Fri May 04, 2012 12:44 am

Hello everyone and :text-welcomewave: to my second buildlog.
The Half moon is in dry dock, but tomorrow I will bring her home to the wharf to be build.

The discovery ship the Half Moon was a small and lightly armed galleon, although in VOC documents it is called a Yacht. And by Emanuel van Meteren (a Flemish Historian) even vlieboot (flyboat).

The original Half Moon (Halve Maen) was commissioned on March 25, 1609, for the Dutch East India Company. She was a ship of exploration and the spaceship of her age, designed to take a crew of twenty into unknown and uncharted waters.
Hired by the Dutch East India Company to find a Northeast, all-water route to Asia. but only a month out of port, the Dutch/English crew of his ship was disheartened after their passage north of Norway was blocked by Arctic ice floes. Many talked of mutiny.

Sitting in his cabin, the concerned captain considered his dilemma and options. A compromise was made. The course was changed and what began as a search for a Northeast passage became a transatlantic crossing to look for a Northwest passage to the rich spice. trade of China. Of course, some think that Hudson's intention all along was to go Northwest.

Hudson in North America
After reaching the Maine coast and replacing a foremast lost in rough storms during her Atlantic crossing. the Half Moon sailed southward as far as the present day North Carolina Outer Banks. Then, turning northward, Hudson explored the Delaware Bay before arriving at the mouth of a wide river. Could this be a passage to the Pacific Ocean?

Hudson stopped at points on the New Jersey coast before sailing the small ship up the river which today bears the Captain's name--the Hudson River, but it was soon obvious that it was an inland river, not a west-ward passage. Hudson sailed upriver to present-day Albany before returning down river, and claiming the region for the Dutch.

It would be many years before the significance of Hudson s 1609 voyage to America would be understood, and the Half Moon universally recognized as one of the best known ships of exploration.

The Half Moon’s Specifications
The ship assigned to Hudson by the Dutch East India Company was small by 17th-century standards. Built in a Dutch shipyard of German and Danish lumber with a high forecastle and sterncastle, she resembled the so-called Vlie boats the Dutch used on the Zuider Zee. England and the Netherlands were then fierce commercial rivals. The Dutch had a fleet of 1,680 ships, vastly outnumbering the 350 available to the English.

Being lighter and narrower, with their frames spaced much wider apart and using lighter planking topside, Dutch ships were faster than their English competitors, which had tightly spaced frames. Unlike English shipbuilders, the Dutch built their oceangoing vessels with flat bottoms to negotiate the shallow entrance to the Zuider Zee.

Because the original Half Moon was built using a simple geometric method called the tangent arc system, no comprehensive plans have survived. Even in the 17th century, industrial espionage was common; this may also explain why no plans have ever been found.

Although the Half Moon has a large amount of sheer (the upward curve of the longitudinal lines of the hull), the decks remain surprisingly level. Today, boats are built with decks following the sweep of the sheer. A horizontal deck offered many advantages: on warships with gunports in a line, cannons on wheeled carriages could easily be served and moved. Level decks also could be flooded when needed, lowering the risk of fire and explosion.

The rig and sail plan of the Half Moon are typical of square-rigged ships of the period: a square foresail and topsail on the foremast and foretopmast; a square mainsail and topsail on the mainmast and main topmast; a triangular lateen sail hung on a long yard attached at an angle to the top of the mizzenmast. A square spritsail hanging from the bowsprit. In all, the sail area measured about 2,800 square feet.

Type of ship : Yacht
Construction : Build in 1608 for the chamber of Amsterdam at a shipyard in Amsterdam
Purpose : Used by the Dutch East India Company from 1609 to 12/1618
Loading capacity : 80 Tons
Crew : 15-20
Sail Area : 256,13 m²
Length on deck : 25.9 m.
On the keel length : 19.7 m.
Height : 23.8 m.
Width : 5.3 m.
Draught : 2.6 m.

Thank you for watching and enjoy!

Take care,

Anja :happy-sunshine:

19th century model of the Half Moon which for years has been exhibited and is currently present in the Amsterdam Historical museum depot.jpg
19th century model of the Half Moon which for years has been exhibited and is currently present in the Amsterdam Historical museum depot.jpg (30.87 KiB) Viewed 12494 times

Antique scale wood and painted ship model early 20th century (American Marine Model Gallery) .jpg
Antique scale wood and painted ship model early 20th century (American Marine Model Gallery) .jpg (29.27 KiB) Viewed 12494 times

Half Moon by Corel.jpg
Half Moon by Corel.jpg (174.96 KiB) Viewed 12494 times
Those we loved but lost are no longer where they were,
but are always where we are.

Current build - De Halve Maen by Corel
viewtopic.php?f=52&t=235

Completed : Albatros 1840 by Constructo
Anja
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Re: Half Moon by Corel - Scale 1:50

Postby Anja » Fri May 04, 2012 1:04 am

Hello everyone,

Just one more picture to show you the different types of bows on the Half Moon.

Bottom left by Corel
Second left by Billing Boats
Bottom right in the American Marine Gallery
Large picture is from the replica.

This built is going to be a real challenge for me. I want to make the bow the same way as the replica and the one in the Marine Gallery.

What I want to do is..........
1 - Draw the picture of the bow on paper
2 - Making sure the bow has the correct scale/size
3 - Transfer the picture to plywood
4 - Cut and adjust
And last but not least, if everything fits to scale/size transfer it to wood and place the bow

I'm not sure if this is the correct procedure, because I never tried scratch build before.
So, If anyone has a better idea, please let me know. Any ideas or assistance in this is very welcome.

Thank you and take care,

Bow of the Half Moon.jpg
Bow of the Half Moon.jpg (51.98 KiB) Viewed 12490 times

viewtopic.php?f=52&t=235

rdsaplala
Petty Officer Second Class

Postby rdsaplala » Fri May 04, 2012 2:15 am

Hello Anja,

I'm pleased to see that your log on Halve Maen is up and running :D You've done some very nice research work for your ship and your documentation photos look excellent. Your planned methodology for modifying her sounds great, and you can take all the necessary measurements and re-scale them for your model using that side profile of the museum model. Or if the museum has line drawings for their model, you can enlarge or reduce it to the scale of your model :D

Goodluck and I'm looking forward to watching you build this beautiful ship :D
-Aldo

Current Build:
Amati HMS Pegasus
: http://www.shipsofscale.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=261

Finished Build:
Caldercraft HM Brig Badger
: http://www.shipsofscale.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=205
wim500

Postby wim500 » Fri May 04, 2012 3:20 am

Hello Anja,

I wish you good luck with the build of the Half Moon, in my opinion a beautiful ship.
You dare to scratch the bow :o , with patience and perseverence it will come to a good end, I am sure.

I am on the first row to follow this build.
Regards,
Wim
Anja
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Postby Anja » Fri May 04, 2012 3:48 am

Hello Aldo & Wim,

Thank you guys for your support.

@ Aldo
Next tuesday is my visit to the Museum. I sure hope they have some drawings in their documentation. And of course I hope they will let me take pictures. We will see.

@ Wim
Yes, it is a great challenge for me to scratch build the bow. But I prefer that shape over the one from Corel.
So I have to try. And as you said..... With patience and perseverance I hope it will turn out ok.

Thanks for watching and take care,

Last edited by Anja on Sun May 06, 2012 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

viewtopic.php?f=52&t=235

GaryM
Senoir Chief Petty Officer
Senoir Chief Petty Officer

Postby GaryM » Fri May 04, 2012 7:27 am

I am not sure how the museums are over there. Here, I found that most of them do not want you to take pictures because the they believe that the flash can be destrutive over time. However, if you talk to the curator and tell them that you are a ship modeler and are planning on building the model, they have no problem with allowing you to do it. Some ship model museums depend on modelers donating the works or restoring their collection.
By the way, great research.
Last edited by GaryM on Fri May 04, 2012 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Happy modeling,
Gary Maple

Problems are just challenges waiting for your solution.

Current build: Sergal Sovereign of the Seas
In Que: Sergal: Cutty Sark and Amerigo Vespucci; Billings Titanic
Completed: Amati: HMS Prince (old 1:78 version); Billings: Norske Love and Vasa; Mantua: La Couronne; Sergal: Mississippi Riverboat and La Soleil Royal
popeye
Master Chief Petty Officer
Master Chief Petty Officer

Postby popeye » Fri May 04, 2012 8:59 am

glad to see you've made your choice. I'll look forward in seeing your progress :D
finished builds:
Nordkap 476 / Cux 87 / Gundalow
Mary Ann / Susan A. / M&M fun ship
Phylly C & Denny-Zen / AmericA
Andrea Gail

in cue:
Gothenborg
Half Moon
Boulogne Etaples
trawler Syborn
U.S.S. United States
Holiday Harbor
Titanic
Anja
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Postby Anja » Sat May 05, 2012 1:44 pm

Hello Popeye,

I will start the build tomorrow. I wanted to do the kit By Billing boats, because their bow is much more how it should than the one from Corel.
But our store had some difficulty with the delivery time of Billing Boats. It could take days, weeks or even months for them to deliver. And I didn't want to wait that long.

Thanks and take care,

viewtopic.php?f=52&t=235

Anja
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Postby Anja » Sat May 05, 2012 1:47 pm

Hello everyone,

The Half Moon is in the wharf, ready to be build.

Although I want to build the bow from scratch, which I have never done before, I have a very good feeling about this build. So, if everything goes well, I don't need to use the colored wood in the box for the bow.

I hope you will all assist and guide me on this build.

Enjoy watching and take care,

Our workspace.jpg
Our workspace.jpg (45.4 KiB) Viewed 12458 times

The box.jpg
The box.jpg (36.11 KiB) Viewed 12458 times

Collection of wood.jpg
Collection of wood.jpg (34.29 KiB) Viewed 12458 times

Parts.jpg
Parts.jpg (39.25 KiB) Viewed 12458 times

Frames.jpg
Frames.jpg (33.2 KiB) Viewed 12458 times