Xebec CAZADOR Occre 1:60 scale

This Build Log Section is for Wood Ships. Enter your Build Log here. It is advisable for others to follow your Build Log to start your post such as "Build Log: HMS Ship name"

Moderators: Aussie048, zoly99sask

sideliner
Seaman
Seaman

Xebec CAZADOR Occre 1:60 scale

Post by sideliner » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:28 pm

Hello
This will log my third plank on hull ship build. I am learning that one of the major attributes for this hobby is to go slow. I took nearly a year to build the BENJAMIN LATHAM, but did so in somewhat hurried spurts. The results were varied but usually entailed multiple instances of tear out and redo. Although my skill sets are improving, they are in no way a match for some of the fantastic quality builds I see here at SOS. So with that disclaimer I start on number 3.
I understand that I need to have dialog on each picture post, so pardon any initial foul ups.
I really like this Occre kit. I comes with instructions in English consisting of photographs of build steps and numbered keys to material to be used .
caz01.jpg
Cazador package
caz01.jpg (297.04 KiB) Viewed 297 times
caz1a.jpg
instructions both pictorial and text
caz1a.jpg (315.56 KiB) Viewed 297 times

DenisR
Petty Officer Second Class

Re: Xebec CAZADOR Occre 1:60 scale

Post by DenisR » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:10 pm

Hi

That looks like a nice kit.
Will follow your log.

Denis.

mrshanks

Post by mrshanks » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:16 pm

I have several Occre kits but have not built any of them. Will be interested to watch you build this one.
Mike Shanks

zoly99sask
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Post by zoly99sask » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:07 pm

Another nice ship,I will follow this one too.

Brian077
Petty Officer First Class
Petty Officer First Class

Post by Brian077 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:36 pm

Another Xebec, fabulous . They are becoming a popular subject for ship modelling.

paulv1958

Post by paulv1958 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:23 am

Hi

I've just finished mine. It was a real pleasure to build. Lots of wood leftover.

The only issue I had was the belaying & rigging plans. In the end it was a feels right, look good. to me.

Also the rigging line is not sufficient. I ran out of the .5 natural. An Amati thread replacement was needed. for the final sail rigging.

When you come to the rigging have a good look a the plans and I suggest doing the inner mast block rigging first. I followed the a-d plans and it was very fiddly getting hands in past other lines( broke a few).

It makes up a decent model, that is no to complex or difficult.

Enjoy it.

Paul
Underway:
AL Santa Ana 1784
Already built:
Occre Albatros
AL Endeavour Longboat
AL Spanish Galleon Heritage Kit
Panart : Between Gun decks ( bashed)
Caldercraft Endeavour.
AL King of Mississippi
Occre Xebec
On shelf
Caldercraft HMS Victory

sideliner
Seaman
Seaman

Post by sideliner » Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:19 pm

Thanks to all for comments.
I confess that I have progressed somewhat on this build b4 setting up the log, so I will bring it up to date.
Removing parts from wooden sheet went smoothly. The parts appear to be die cut rather than laser cut. False keel and frames appear to be plywood. Much stronger than the last model I built. All fit snugly with almost no sanding. Used small pine blocks at the under deck joints of keel and frames to ensure a perpendicular fit. This is not absolutely needed but it was something that I had issue with on other build. The lower (and upper) deck is plywood with 2 compound curves, It did not just snap into place. Used push pins and rubber bands plus quick dry adhesive to muscle it into place. Instructions say to use brass nails and grind off heads. Sounded messy but as I found out on bulkhead install the heads come off smoothly using a flexible abrasive disc on power tool(you even get a mini stream of sparks (woo hoo). In planking the deck I used kit furnished wood in lengths of 3,6,9 cm. but mostly the 9cm lengths.Lined the interior of frame 9 and transom per directions.Planked uper deck.
caz02.jpg
Fitting frames to false keel
caz02.jpg (303.88 KiB) Viewed 253 times
caz04.jpg
Lower deck installed and lining of interior transom
caz04.jpg (94.25 KiB) Viewed 253 times
caz05.jpg
Planking deck
caz05.jpg (296.8 KiB) Viewed 253 times
caz06.jpg
More deck planking
caz06.jpg (284.48 KiB) Viewed 253 times
caz07.jpg
Upper deck install
caz07.jpg (298.21 KiB) Viewed 253 times
caz22.jpg
Grinding disk
caz22.jpg (69.29 KiB) Viewed 253 times

mrshanks

Post by mrshanks » Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:25 pm

Steady as she goes!!! Looking good.
Mike Shanks

sideliner
Seaman
Seaman

Post by sideliner » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:20 pm

Continuing with update of build progress, I next installed bow and stern false keel reinforcements and sanded to fit. Next glued on below deck reinforcements which aid in installation of bulwarks. I was a little confused about these as the pics do not show clearly how they are positioned. Ultimately I followed the instructions to be sure they "stick out a little". I guess the idea is to give the bulwarks a step on which to sit. The lower bulwarks are next. Made of plywood they, port & starboard, need a fair amount of forming, mostly at the bow but also critical at stern. I was afraid to soak or steam (de-laminate?) so I applied moisture with a wet cloth and formed using my handy hair curler. Eventually I was mostly successful. I did the forming before lining the interior of bulwarks with furnished ramin wood. Plan calls for use of contact cement. I used Titebond wood glue instead (not as messy). I think this was a mistake because when mounting starboard bulwark, the lining pulled away as I pushed it to fit and later when opening the gun and oar ports some of the smaller lining parts popped off. I think the contact adhesive might have prevented this. I used CA to glue on and added brass nails at the stern, grinding heads off as described earlier. The upper bulwarks mounted flawlessly and required no preforming.
I still have a little catching up to do to get me to where I stopped before starting this log. Will cover in next post.

I would appreciate any comments on my log. Am I too wordy? I know much of what I describe must seem elementary to many skilled builders. If I am I can cut back on some of the description.
thanks
sideliner
Attachments
caz03.jpg
false keel reinforcements at bow
caz03.jpg (228.16 KiB) Viewed 238 times
caz08.jpg
kell reinforcements at stern
caz08.jpg (236.9 KiB) Viewed 238 times
caz09.jpg
lining previously formed bulwark
caz09.jpg (260.89 KiB) Viewed 238 times