Bon Retour Artesania Latina 1/25 scale

This Build Log Section is for Wood Ships. Enter your Build Log here. It is advisable for others to follow your Build Log to start your post such as "Build Log: HMS Ship name"

Moderators: Aussie048, zoly99sask

Aginvicta
Petty Officer Third Class

Re: Bon Retour Artesania Latina 1/25 scale

Post by Aginvicta » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:20 pm

Thanks Paul, I agree Caldercraft do very good rigging instructions.
Continuing on with the planking, the next 5 planks are already tapered but they are thicker than the none tapered planks. Before soaking the first tapered plank I decided to file the top edge so that it fitted against the previously fitted plank. It was soaked in boiling water and then pinned in place, I "borrowed" my Daughter's hair dryer to dry them, but I still had to soak them again before I glued them in place. The next couple of planks were a bit of a problem because I couldn't get both ends to finish on a Bulkhead so I ended up with a few small gaps. The finished Hull should be painted so it won't matter if I have to use some filler, but I am thinking about putting a second layer of planks on using some 0.5mm thick planks that I have. It would be nice to be able to see each plank even if it is painted.
RetourH2.jpg
RetourH2.jpg (93.97 KiB) Viewed 175 times
RetourH3.jpg
RetourH3.jpg (90.02 KiB) Viewed 175 times
RetourH4.jpg
RetourH4.jpg (68.33 KiB) Viewed 175 times
Once I had fitted all the tapered planks it was back to fitting the untapered planks. I couldn't get the next plank to fit against the plank above it so I decided to leave a gap, let the plank follow it's natural run and then fill the gap in later. I also started the next 2 planks from the second Bulkhead back, I figured it would be easier to fit shorter planks that needed some tapering at one end.
RetourH5.jpg
RetourH5.jpg (107.37 KiB) Viewed 175 times
RetourH6.jpg
RetourH6.jpg (115.46 KiB) Viewed 175 times
Cheers Andy

Aginvicta

Post by Aginvicta » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:49 am

It's been a while since I updated this, I have finished the Hull planking, there are a few small gaps but now that I have smoothed it down it doesn't look too bad. I had initially decided to add a second layer of planks to the Hull but I have now decided not to, I am going to use some filler to cover the small gaps.
RetourH8.jpg
RetourH8.jpg (91.19 KiB) Viewed 145 times
The Keel pieces, the Stern Post and the Stem were cut out, cleaned up, and then dry fitted. I must have been fairly accurate with my building because it only needed a few minor adjustments to get everything to fit.
RetourH10.jpg
RetourH10.jpg (113.75 KiB) Viewed 145 times
I wasn't happy with the look of the Transom so I added some planking to it. I used 0.6mm by 5mm Basswood that was left over from the Deck planking. I glued it in place at a 45 degree angle to the Stern Post, it may not be accurate for a boat like this but I like the look of this style of stern planking.
RetourI7.jpg
RetourI7.jpg (102.78 KiB) Viewed 145 times
The Hull was given a coat of wood filler and whilst this was drying I made the Coamings for the 2 Hatches. These are made from 6mm by 1.5mm Walnut strip, the for and aft Coaming was first fitted inside the Hatchway making sure it was about 1mm higher than the Deck. This proved to be a little fiddly on the Fore Hatch due to the small opening and I didn't want to lose the strip inside the Hull. This was left overnight and then the cross deck Coamings were fitted. I then gave the Deck and Coamings a coat of wood oil.
RetourI9.jpg
RetourI9.jpg (74.44 KiB) Viewed 145 times
RetourI11.jpg
RetourI11.jpg (87.09 KiB) Viewed 145 times
RetourI8.jpg
RetourI8.jpg (92.98 KiB) Viewed 145 times
Cheers Andy

Aussie048
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Post by Aussie048 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:22 am

Andy

Yes shorter planks could be a good idea. I am not very good at planking myself but the more experience modelers will give you some sound advice.

I also use the bulldog wire clamp method that I saw on one of my fellow friends build log.

The best way to get advice is to post mistakes. We all started not knowing a thing about model ship building and can make good friends in the process of making a Model Ship. I know I have.

Cheers
Geoff
Aussie048

Current Build Link:-
Mamoli - USS Constitution
HMS Triton Section Poseidon section

On Hold Builds:-
Santa Maria
Norfolk Sloop Delxue

Ship Modelling Society of Victoria

zoly99sask
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Post by zoly99sask » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:43 am

Hi Andy your planking looks awesome .

Aginvicta

Post by Aginvicta » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:34 pm

Thanks Geoff and Zoltan. I have been thinking about this build and reached the conclusion that maybe I am rushing things a bit to get it finished. Far better to take my time, so I am going to add a second layer of planks to the Hull,

Cheers Andy

Aginvicta

Post by Aginvicta » Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:35 pm

I had 6 Deck planks left over so I double checked the parts list and found these strips were not needed for anything else so I could use them to plank some of the Hull. The first plank was fitted using contact adhesive, running it parallel with the Keel and about 4mm below the top of the top edge of the Hull. The next plank was fitted above this first plank and the third plank below these. This is the first time I have used contact adhesive and apart from it being a little "stringy" I found it easier to use than C.A. glue.
RetourJ1.jpg
RetourJ1.jpg (82.46 KiB) Viewed 88 times
RetourJ2.jpg
RetourJ2.jpg (76.42 KiB) Viewed 88 times
RetourJ3.jpg
RetourJ3.jpg (104.89 KiB) Viewed 88 times
I left it overnight and then used some offcuts to complete the top part of the Hull, and then filed it down to match the top part of the Hull.
RetourJ4.jpg
RetourJ4.jpg (50.77 KiB) Viewed 88 times
RetourJ5.jpg
RetourJ5.jpg (66.8 KiB) Viewed 88 times
Whilst I was checking the parts list I realised I had planked the "step" between the 2 Decks the wrong way, I had laid the planks horizontally when they should be vertical. I had a few spare Mahogany strips left over so I have made a start laying the strips the correct way.
RetourJ8.jpg
RetourJ8.jpg (89.24 KiB) Viewed 88 times
RetourJ7.jpg
RetourJ7.jpg (75.96 KiB) Viewed 88 times
Cheers Andy

Aginvicta

Post by Aginvicta » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:32 pm

As a bit of a change from the Hull planking I decided to make a start on fitting the Ribs on to the inner Bulwarks. These are 1.5mm square Walnut and although the number of Ribs is mentioned in the instructions I couldn't find the spacing between each Ribs so I measured the length of the Bulwark and worked out the spacing that way. Each one was cut slightly over length and then glued in place with wood glue.
RetourJ9.jpg
RetourJ9.jpg (103.97 KiB) Viewed 41 times
Moving back to the Hull and I next fitted the Garboard plank. I cut this over sized and gradually trimmed it down until it fitted. I used wood glue to fix it in place as this gave me some time to get the plank in the correct place. It was then clamped and left overnight.
RetourJ11.jpg
RetourJ11.jpg (75.62 KiB) Viewed 41 times
I have never really been happy with the look of the Keel, Stem and Sternpost. I have 4 strips of 0.5mm by 5mm Mahogany left over so I have decided to cover the Keel with this strip, just giving myself a bit more to do. Because the Mahogany is brittle I soaked it in Sanding Sealer and it has made it easier to cut and file without small bits breaking off.

RetourK1.jpg
RetourK1.jpg (44.29 KiB) Viewed 41 times
RetourK2.jpg
RetourK2.jpg (44.46 KiB) Viewed 41 times
RetourK3.jpg
RetourK3.jpg (57.31 KiB) Viewed 41 times
RetourK4.jpg
RetourK4.jpg (45.78 KiB) Viewed 41 times
Cheers Andy

Return to “SOS Build Logs from Kits - Wood”