Bon Retour Artesania Latina 1/25 scale

This Build Log Section is for Wood Ships. Enter your Build Log here. It is advisable for others to follow your Build Log to start your post such as "Build Log: HMS Ship name"

Moderators: Aussie048, zoly99sask

Aginvicta
Petty Officer Third Class

Bon Retour Artesania Latina 1/25 scale

Post by Aginvicta » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:28 pm

Bon Retour was built in 1952 in France and was used as a Scallop fishing boat off the Brittany coast. In 1982 it was restored and is now used in the preservation of marine culture. The wooden parts are all wrapped in cellophane, a plastic compartment tray with lid contains all the small wood and metals parts, pre-made sails, and two sizes of rigging thread. The instructions are a series of colour pictures, a booklet with 2 pages of text instructions, a parts list and a large sheet with full size plans. There is a page with rigging details but no sign of any tie off points for the rigging.
RetourBox.jpg
RetourBox.jpg (132.55 KiB) Viewed 386 times
Attachments
RetourParts.jpg
RetourParts.jpg (110.89 KiB) Viewed 386 times
RetourParts1.jpg
RetourParts1.jpg (90.18 KiB) Viewed 386 times
RetourParts2.jpg
RetourParts2.jpg (96.24 KiB) Viewed 386 times
RetourParts3.jpg
RetourParts3.jpg (93.83 KiB) Viewed 386 times

neptune
Petty Officer First Class
Petty Officer First Class

Re: Bon Retour Artesania Latina 1/25 scale

Post by neptune » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:02 pm

Hi Andy, AL make some nice kits, I built one of these a few years ago, I look forward to seeing your progress, I have looked at your Sherbourne, a very nice build, enjoy,

best regards John.

Aginvicta

Post by Aginvicta » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:53 am

Thanks John, I am impressed by the quality of the parts in this kit, all the wood is straight and cleanly cut. I built Sherbourne about 8 years ago and enjoyed it, I have the Brig Badger in my attic but I don't feel I have enough skills yet to build it to the standard I would like. I am really impressed by your Royal Caroline build, a ship I want to attempt one day,
Cheers Andy

Aginvicta

Post by Aginvicta » Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:27 pm

As I mentioned in my first post the instructions are a series of colour pictures, a couple pages of text and a parts list. There is also a full size plan and a basic rigging diagram. I thought it would be easier to combine all the instructions so I photocopied the colour pictures and stuck each picture on a page of a notebook. I then added the written instructions for each each picture and wrote down the details of the parts to be fitted.
Retourinstruct.jpg
Retourinstruct.jpg (61.68 KiB) Viewed 359 times
I removed the false Keel and Bulkheads and removed any rough edges and the charring from the laser cutting. The plywood that is supplied is 4mm thick but the slots cut in the Keel and Bulkheads were only 3.5mm so I spent a few hours widening the slots being careful to keep the slots square. After I had made sure the Bulkheads were at 90 degrees to the Keel, I glued them in place using white wood glue. This was then left overnight.
RetourA6.jpg
RetourA6.jpg (58.88 KiB) Viewed 359 times
RetourA7.jpg
RetourA7.jpg (59.61 KiB) Viewed 359 times
RetourA8.jpg
RetourA8.jpg (56.34 KiB) Viewed 359 times
RetourA9.jpg
RetourA9.jpg (87.2 KiB) Viewed 359 times
The 2 small lower decks needed their slots widening and once I was happy with the fit, they were glued and then pinned in place. I then fitted the 2 extra bow location pieces.
RetourB1.jpg
RetourB1.jpg (156.05 KiB) Viewed 359 times
RetourB2.jpg
RetourB2.jpg (152.25 KiB) Viewed 359 times
Cheers Andy

zoly99sask
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Post by zoly99sask » Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:38 pm

Good start Andy!!

GaryM
Senoir Chief Petty Officer
Senoir Chief Petty Officer

Post by GaryM » Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:34 pm

AL does make some nice kits and looks like you are off to a nice start.
Happy modeling,
Gary Maple

Problems are just challenges waiting for your solution.

Current build: Sergal Sovereign of the Seas
In Que: Sergal: Cutty Sark and Amerigo Vespucci; Billings Titanic
Completed: Amati: HMS Prince (old 1:78 version); Billings: Norske Love and Vasa; Mantua: La Couronne; Sergal: Mississippi Riverboat and La Soleil Royal

Aginvicta

Post by Aginvicta » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:26 pm

Thanks Zoltan and Gary.
The next step, according to the instructions, is to plank the main and fore decks. These 2 decks, when fitted, have to be curved in 2 directions and I didn't fancy trying to do this with planks fitted. I soaked the 2 decks in hot water for about 30 minutes and then pinned them to the bulkheads and left them to dry.
RetourB3.jpg
RetourB3.jpg (124.77 KiB) Viewed 328 times
RetourB4.jpg
RetourB4.jpg (124.02 KiB) Viewed 328 times
After they were dry, I removed the decks and had a think about my next move. The 2 lower decks are covered by hatches but I thought I might have the hatches slightly open to give the boat a bit of depth. I painted the bulkheads around the holds matt black and then planked the 2 lower decks. I'm not sure how much will be seen but it was good practise for the main decks.
RetourB5.jpg
RetourB5.jpg (131.39 KiB) Viewed 328 times
RetourB6.jpg
RetourB6.jpg (113.13 KiB) Viewed 328 times
RetourB7.jpg
RetourB7.jpg (206.14 KiB) Viewed 328 times
RetourB9.jpg
RetourB9.jpg (143.87 KiB) Viewed 328 times
The main deck has to have an inner Bulkwark fitted either side, this has to be curved and fits into some slots in the deck. Rather plank the deck and then fit the Bulwark, I decided I would glue the deck in place, wet the Bulwark and dry (wet) fit it to get the curve right. Once dry I will then glue the inner Bulwarks in place and will then fit the deck planks.

Cheers Andy

Aginvicta

Post by Aginvicta » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:54 pm

I left the inner Bulwarks to dry and then glued them in place using wood glue and a couple of Foldback clips to hold them in place. I decided to fit the centre plank on the Main Deck the full length of the deck and then cut out the gap for the Hatch later. This would make it easier to get the other planks nice and tight to this plank either side of the Hatch opening. I used a thin coat of wood glue on this plank and held it firmly in place for a minute or two. On the rest of the planks I used the side of a pencil lead to run along the edge of each plank to simulate the caulking. Up till now I had been cutting each plank slightly long and gradually trimming it until it fitted, but I had now got to the inner Bulwark and needed to trim down one side as well. When I got to the last plank I cut out a piece of paper and used it as a template to get the plank to a rough shape and then adjusted the shape until it fitted. The Deck was then left for a couple of days and then I cleaned up the Hatch edges and Mast hole before giving the whole Deck a sanding down with a sanding sponge. The Fore Deck was a lot easier to plank because I could lay the planks over length and then trim them down after the glue was fully dry.
RetourC1.jpg
RetourC1.jpg (180.5 KiB) Viewed 306 times
RetourC2.jpg
RetourC2.jpg (69.76 KiB) Viewed 306 times
RetourC5.jpg
RetourC5.jpg (163.91 KiB) Viewed 306 times
RetourC6.jpg
RetourC6.jpg (157.27 KiB) Viewed 306 times
RetourD1.jpg
RetourD1.jpg (65.35 KiB) Viewed 306 times
retourD2.jpg
retourD2.jpg (90.54 KiB) Viewed 306 times
RetourD3.jpg
RetourD3.jpg (102.09 KiB) Viewed 306 times
RetourD4.jpg
RetourD4.jpg (102.66 KiB) Viewed 306 times
RetourE1.jpg
RetourE1.jpg (112.55 KiB) Viewed 306 times
RetourE2.jpg
RetourE2.jpg (95.97 KiB) Viewed 306 times
Cheers Andy

zoly99sask
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Post by zoly99sask » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:02 pm

Really nice deck planking Andy!

mrshanks
Petty Officer Second Class
Petty Officer Second Class

Post by mrshanks » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:22 pm

Looks great Andy. I like the larger 1:25 scale. I built the AL Swift about a year ago.. about the same size as your Bon Retour. It should be a fun build!
Mike Shanks

Return to “SOS Build Logs from Kits - Wood”