Halifax Build Log: Lumberyard

This Build Log Section is for Wood Ships. Enter your Build Log here. It is advisable for others to follow your Build Log to start your post such as "Build Log: HMS Ship name"

Moderators: zoly99sask, Aussie048

donfarr
Petty Officer First Class

Halifax Build Log: Lumberyard

Post by donfarr » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:52 am

This is the Build Log of the Halifax from "dlumberyard".

Don Farr
donfarr

DougW
Seaman
Seaman

Re: Halifax Build Log: Lumberyard

Post by DougW » Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:19 pm

Count me in the audience. Grabbing the popcorn and sitting back.
:greetings-clapyellow:
Doug

donfarr

Post by donfarr » Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:29 pm

Thanks Doug, It will be about a week and a half before i post, as I am going to my middele sons wedding on the shore in Alabama, when i get back I will start posting, you will have to bear with me for a while as this is my first building log, and I am computer illeterate, so will have to depend on others for a while. THANKS DON
donfarr

Brian077

Post by Brian077 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:37 am

looking forward to this Don. Love Harold Hahn style models.

GaryM
Senoir Chief Petty Officer
Senoir Chief Petty Officer

Post by GaryM » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:44 pm

I have heard that they make nice kits with great wood. Will be watching to see how this kit looks.
Happy modeling,
Gary Maple

Problems are just challenges waiting for your solution.

Current build: Sergal Sovereign of the Seas
In Que: Sergal: Cutty Sark and Amerigo Vespucci; Billings Titanic
Completed: Amati: HMS Prince (old 1:78 version); Billings: Norske Love and Vasa; Mantua: La Couronne; Sergal: Mississippi Riverboat and La Soleil Royal

shipwright101

Post by shipwright101 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:53 pm

there is a collection of photos of Harold Hahn's original model to use as a reference.

go here

http://modelshipbuilder.com/e107_plugin ... 27704.last

donfarr

Post by donfarr » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:14 pm

Gary, They do, have done maybe 4 of there kits well satisfied, and Dave is there to help with problems as they arrise, GO TO MSB FORUM PAGE SCROLL DOW TO WHERE YOU SEE CAUSTIC PROJECT, my build with Daves help 42 pages, great model as an intermediate modeler(NO EXPERT AT ALL), one of my better builds.....as a disclaimer I have no buisness or financial actions with the Lumberyard or Dave Stevens,........ Dave I checked out the photos on MSB DID YOU CHECK MY PICTURES AM I OK WITH THE STARTING POINT, getting ready to do the keel and and stem, stern and dead wood, one question for Dave since the Hahn Method has longer frames then the Caustic is there a problem with keeping it steady while work proceeds, or should I add a temporary Piece at the stem to the jig for added strength, just keep up with my log and tell me if any mistakes occuring. THANKS Don..... PS need to learn how to post pictures and text as this is my first building log, and I am a computer ileteriate all help would be appreciated
donfarr

shipwright101

Post by shipwright101 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:40 am

getting ready to do the keel and and stem, stern and dead wood, one question for Dave since the Hahn Method has longer frames then the Caustic is there a problem with keeping it steady while work proceeds?

Hahn came up with a jigging system for framing a hull and all his models use the same system. A little flaw in the system was placing all the frames upside down in the jig them adding the keel structure. The issue is every frame has to be dead on or you end up with some frame notches being a bit higher or lower making fitting the keel a problem.

In order for this to work each frame has to be exact from the top of the extension to the keel notch. Hahn made a jig for building each frame by adding a square section of the keel for the notch and a back stop for the jig. If the frames are not exact the notch will float up and down.

Each and every frame must also be perfectly square with the jig surface or the frame will not fall in its notch at the keel

I took the jig idea and modified it by securing the keel assembly in the jig first

Rather than depending on an exact measurement between the jig and the keel notch I use the keel notch to set the frames. This way if there is any slight change in the built frames it does not matter because the top of the extension can move slightly up or down and not effect the frame location in the jig, the frame is seated in the notch.

it might take a little bending the frame inward to get it to slip down into the jig, but the frames do flex enough to slide them into the jig and set in the keel notch.

donfarr

Post by donfarr » Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:16 am

Hi Dave, I think I am getting it, On this build we are using the Hahan method, like yours better, but it is what it is, will use what is there, could you do me one favor PLEASE check my pictures to see if I am correct at the location of first WHOLE FRAME No. A,...... and at the stern HALF FRAME Nos. ONE THROUGH FOUR,....... HAVE some other questions on the number of pieces of certain frames, but will get there latter. THANKS Don
donfarr

shipwright101

Post by shipwright101 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:31 am

Hahn built his frames by using frame blanks then glued the frame pattern on the blank and cut out the frame.

for model builder who do not have the tools or desire to do the required mill work to produce the framing stock the Halifax has the frames pre cut with a laser

to assemble the frames use the drawing on the plans and place pins along the edge

then set the floor timber in place

pins were set in the corners of the notch to center the timber

now go ahead and place the rest of the frame parts

once the frame shape is set next is to place the first futtock with its notch located against the pin at the notch corner and against the other pins

that's it your off and running, take it away Don

Return to “SOS Build Logs from Kits - Wood”