Build Log: Bluenose I 1:64 scale, MS2130

This Build Log Section is for Wood Ships. Enter your Build Log here. It is advisable for others to follow your Build Log to start your post such as "Build Log: HMS Ship name"

Moderator: zoly99sask

DougW
Seaman
Seaman

Re: Build Log: Bluenose I 1:64 scale, MS2130

Postby DougW » Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:34 am

Canoe21 wrote:Hello Doug

Bluenose is sure looking good, very nice work and with such very fine detail. I took a few pictures of the Bluenose 11 a few yeard ago in Nova Scotia on one of our vacations there. I will post a Bow picture on your post and if by chance you do not want it there, then just tell me and I will remove it OK. Just thought it may help you in your build, ENJOY.

Regards Lawrence

Nice photo Lawrence. Let's keep it up.
It reminds me I have to figure out how to do that scroll work. Any ideas? I saw one technique using stiffened string and then hammering it flat.
I'm working on the transom this weekend, it hangs out off the deck at more than 45 degrees and I had to use gap-filling CA for the first time on this model. If I build another schooner I might do this differently. :)
Thanks for the comments,
Doug
Canoe21
Petty Officer Second Class
Petty Officer Second Class

Postby Canoe21 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:56 pm

Hello Doug

I am pleased that you like my picture, as it will give you a few more ideas to sort things out as you build your Bluenose. For the Scrollwork around the Ancor Hase Pipe, I have used brass wire flattened out a bit, but that was for a very small schooner the Annie M. Parker, for the Bluenose, it looks like you will have to do a little bit of soldering as her scroll work is much more elaborate, hope this helps, ENJOY.

Regards Lawrence
canoe21 { Lawrence }
PRESENT BUILD - viewtopic.php?f=59&t=1221 - GOLDEN HIND< Harold A. Underhill build plans, scale 1:60

Completed Build viewtopic.php?f=59&t=1172 HMS Bounty, scratch build, scale 1:60, using Amati build plans
DougW
Seaman
Seaman

Postby DougW » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:24 am

Hello all,
I have spent the time to get the transom formed. It is a bit fragile as it hangs out off the stern quit a bit. I have a little jig to protect it until it is planked.
Now I have to decide on whether to complete the railing or do the hull planking first. The instructions build the main and secondary rails first but most of the logs I have reviewed have planked the hull first. I am thinking of doing the gunwales with the scuppers etc first, then the false stanchions. That way I can paint the onboard side of the gunwales before adding the rails. I haven't done any planking before so we'll see how that goes. :)
Thanks for looking and have a great day.
Doug
IMG_0181Full.JPG
Stem to stern
IMG_0181Full.JPG (75.78 KiB) Viewed 151 times

:o I have to get the hawse pipe hole drilled.
DougW
Seaman
Seaman

Postby DougW » Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:33 pm

Hi all, it is time to talk scuppers.
The Bluenose has a few, two per frame per side. I needed to figure out how to make these on the lower bulwark plank before I can plank up to the rail.
According to the instructions they were 3" wide by 1" high and are on either side of each stanchion at deck level or at least atop the waterways.
This calls for a jig or frame to make consistent.
Turns out I have a 3/64" grinder bit for the Dremel. I mounted it in my Dremel router and set the height to 1/64".
IMG_0182Rotor.JPG
Router
IMG_0182Rotor.JPG (40.81 KiB) Viewed 135 times

To determine to locations of the scuppers I positioned the plank on line at the upper edge of the waterways and marked each integral stanchions (bulkheads). I removed the plank and shaded those positions and added the three false stanchions between each.
IMG_0185Markedplank.jpg
Marked plank
IMG_0185Markedplank.jpg (37.09 KiB) Viewed 135 times

I could then pull the plank on edge across the router, easily eyeballing the location of the suppers. This gives nice square channels of the correct and consistent size. How to keep them clear and not plugged up with paint etc will be another story. I may paint the channels before assembly.
IMG_0186Scuppers.jpg
Scuppers
IMG_0186Scuppers.jpg (47.85 KiB) Viewed 135 times

Thanks for looking,
Doug
Fright
Seaman
Seaman

Postby Fright » Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:59 am

Doug - the hull framing is coming along nicely! Will be dropping in from time to time to see your progress.

Return to “SOS Build Logs from Kits - Wood”