Build Log: Bluenose I 1:64 scale, MS2130

This Build Log Section is for Wood Ships. Enter your Build Log here. It is advisable for others to follow your Build Log to start your post such as "Build Log: HMS Ship name"

Moderator: zoly99sask

DougW
Seaman
Seaman

Build Log: Bluenose I 1:64 scale, MS2130

Postby DougW » Tue May 02, 2017 12:26 pm

Greeting.
This is the start of my first build log, the Bluenose I. The kit arrived today in good shape and I have included some standard photos of the kit Nope. It is a standard POB kit from Model Shipways. This laser cutting is new to me and it looks like it will save a lot of time.
The bulkheads are on 3/16" 3-ply and the keel/frame is 3/16" basswood(?). The only fault I see is the Canadian flag is wrong.
While not my first kit, it has been 30+ years since I built ship models.
Thanks for looking.
Doug
ps. I can't seem to get the attachment to work it is complaining that a 255 kb jpeg is too big with a 355 kb max. Have to work on that some more.

Here is one image so far of Box Contents.
Attachments
BN01.jpg
BN01.jpg (74.37 KiB) Viewed 368 times
Donnie
Senoir Chief Petty Officer

Re: Build Log: Bluenose I 1:64 scale, MS2130

Postby Donnie » Tue May 02, 2017 1:57 pm

Doug,
Welcome to SOS. I am very happy that you joined us and I am sure you will have plenty of folks wanting to watch your BN come together.

please send me the photo to [ donnie@shipsofscale.com ] that you are trying to upload so that I can examine it to see what is going on - if it is a forum problem. I would like to have the exact copy of the photo that you are trying to upload.

One thing that could be is this: in the attachment section, there will be a progress notification that is usually a "green check mark".. Sometimes, I have gotten in too big of a hurry and clicked on "submit" when the photo had not quite finished uploading - it will give you an error too like this. Make sure you photo is completely uploaded by observing the "green check mark" beside the file upload section. Especially if I have many files uploading at one time. For instance if you have 10 files you are uploading, make sure you have 10 "green check marks" before you click on "Submit"

Donnie
Admin /
Current Build Prep: Panart San Felipe 1:75
Completed Build: Santisima Trinidad

Main SOS Site: Ships of Scale Website

No Guts, No Glory !
GaryM

Postby GaryM » Tue May 02, 2017 5:56 pm

Welcome to the forum. The laser cutting not only save time and but is more accurate and some manufactures used the upgrading to fix some of the previous error in their kit. Since you have built models before, I think you will find that things are a lot better than 30 year ago. Also this site helps you if you get stuck. Enjoy.
Happy modeling,
Gary Maple

Problems are just challenges waiting for your solution.

Current build: Sergal Sovereign of the Seas
In Que: Sergal: Cutty Sark and Amerigo Vespucci; Billings Titanic
Completed: Amati: HMS Prince (old 1:78 version); Billings: Norske Love and Vasa; Mantua: La Couronne; Sergal: Mississippi Riverboat and La Soleil Royal
DougW
Seaman
Seaman

Postby DougW » Tue May 02, 2017 7:06 pm

A call goes out to Donnie for helping size at least one photo to post :D More work to be done there.

Working on my dry dock and laying the keel tonight.

Doug
GemmaJF
Petty Officer First Class
Petty Officer First Class

Postby GemmaJF » Wed May 03, 2017 5:56 am

Welcome Doug, :greetings-waveyellow:

I know the Bluenose is a popular kit, not followed a build of one from start to finish, so looking forward to watching your progress.
Current Build: ZHL Black Pearl 1:50

Next Up: Billing Boats Bounty 1:50

Researching for POB scratch build : HMS Ferret 1:48 (1711)

Projects: Arduino Lighting Project
Canoe21
Petty Officer Second Class

Postby Canoe21 » Wed May 03, 2017 6:54 am

Hello Doug

I am looking forward to your Bluenose build. I built the Bluenose 11 that my Admiral Bernadette gave to me for Christmas many years ago while I was working in Montreal, PQ as a factory consultant. I am sure your build will bring back many old and enjoyable memories. The Bluenose has such graceful lines and is a treat for one's old eyes to look upon. ENJOY.

Regards Lawrence
canoe21 { Lawrence }
PRESENT BUILD - viewtopic.php?f=59&t=1221 - GOLDEN HIND< Harold A. Underhill build plans, scale 1:60

Completed Build viewtopic.php?f=59&t=1172 HMS Bounty, scratch build, scale 1:60, using Amati build plans
mtbediz1
Petty Officer Third Class
Petty Officer Third Class

Postby mtbediz1 » Wed May 03, 2017 6:55 am

Welcome to the forum Doug. I will be following your build.

Mustafa
DougW
Seaman
Seaman

Postby DougW » Thu May 04, 2017 1:38 pm

Thanks everyone for your interest.
The first step in this project is assembling the keel, making sure it is straight and true.
This is not a hugely difficult job but it continues me on by path of finding modeling tools and and creating a work space.
A couple of lessons learned.
Separate supplies for the miniature work bench and the cabinet shop saves time running around looking for the glue and straight edges.
Do your homework before you start. For the Bluenose there are several public builds that can be reviewed before you start so that you are aware of some of the 'shortcomings' of the kit. Since this is not a review of the kit I will not emphasize the minor issues unless I get in real trouble. There is a commercial CD course and even a scratch built POF guide available.
The center keel comes in three parts and as you can see the stern hangs off somewhat precariously and will need some additional support.

The next step will be laying out the 15 bulkheads and the bearding line so that we get a straight and sturdy model. The bulkheads appear to represent every fourth frame.

Thanks for looking.
Doug
Attachments
CenterKeel.jpg
CenterKeel.jpg (86.15 KiB) Viewed 326 times
Canoe21

Postby Canoe21 » Fri May 05, 2017 6:43 pm

Hello Doug

Your keel sure looks nice and straight from here, your fun is just about to begin. One word of caution though, the stern plop deck keel is very delicate, it may be a good idea to clamp on a couple of splints that is until you are ready to add the lower frame and that will stiffen it up and make it a lot stronger. A lot of modelers building the Bluenose have broken this piece off, just a thought, ENJOY.

Regards Lawrence
canoe21 { Lawrence }
PRESENT BUILD - viewtopic.php?f=59&t=1221 - GOLDEN HIND< Harold A. Underhill build plans, scale 1:60

Completed Build viewtopic.php?f=59&t=1172 HMS Bounty, scratch build, scale 1:60, using Amati build plans
DougW
Seaman
Seaman

Postby DougW » Sat May 06, 2017 6:22 am

Canoe21 wrote:Hello Doug

Your keel sure looks nice and straight from here, your fun is just about to begin. One word of caution though, the stern plop deck keel is very delicate, it may be a good idea to clamp on a couple of splints that is until you are ready to add the lower frame and that will stiffen it up and make it a lot stronger. A lot of modelers building the Bluenose have broken this piece off, just a thought, ENJOY.

Regards Lawrence

Absolutely. even setting the stern bulwarks makes me nervous. I should have my framing process up this weekend.
Keep up the good advice.
Thanks
Doug

Return to “SOS Build Logs from Kits - Wood”