Pen Duick Build Log

This Build Log Section is for Wood Ships. Enter your Build Log here. It is advisable for others to follow your Build Log to start your post such as "Build Log: HMS Ship name"

Moderators: Aussie048, zoly99sask

penduick
Seaman
Seaman

Re: Pen Duick Build Log

Post by penduick » Sat May 13, 2017 10:05 pm

Aussie048 wrote:Penduick

Richard said at the meeting just to file down to the sides of the centre piece of the 3 ply that makes up the false keel the for starters. It probably needs to go to a point eventually.

Geoff
So stop where I am at? or keep going to file to the centre piece of the keel?

Aussie048
Petty Officer First Class

Post by Aussie048 » Sat May 13, 2017 10:15 pm

If you are going to take the deck off then remove it now. We were hoping the deck did not need to come off

One the deck and bulkheads are cleaned up the then do your fix we will dry fit the deck, Some rubber bands would be helpful.

One you are happy with the dry fitting of the deck then it is time to glue and hold the deck down with rubber bands. Get a large pack of cotton buds to whilst you are at Chemist warehouse. The are great for cleaning up excess PVA glue

One that is complete make sure you are still happy with the deck and the alignments and then you can start faring the bulkheads again

Cheers
Geoff
Current Build Link:-
Mamoli - USS Constitution
HMS Triton Section Poseidon section

On Hold Builds:-
Santa Maria
Norfolk Sloop Delxue

Ship Modelling Society of Victoria

penduick
Seaman
Seaman

Post by penduick » Sun May 14, 2017 1:33 am

Ok I finished doing the small adjustments I wanted to do to the top of the bulkheads. Deck is back on.

Onto the fairig business, so I keep going to fair to a point? Wouldn't I also file down the bulkheads if I did that?

Aussie048

Post by Aussie048 » Sun May 14, 2017 1:49 am

Penduick

You achieved that pretty quickly. I take it that there are no gaps anymore and the sides of the bulkheads line up to the deck. If so and you are happy, well done.

How much drying time has the deck had to stick to the bulkheads. It could pay to wait before you proceed to make sure the PVA has set properly.

Yes you can do the faring on the sides of the Bullheads at the same time. Remember that the file should only be touching two bulkheads at one time.

Test the faring by placing a plank across all the bulkheads an see that it is sitting properly from one to another bulkhead.

Cheers
Geoff

Santa Maria
Norfolk Sloop Delxue

penduick
Seaman
Seaman

Post by penduick » Sun May 14, 2017 1:56 am

Hypothetically ( don't worry I haven't resumed fairing yet) what happens if I take off too much material? Can one come back from that?

Aussie048

Post by Aussie048 » Sun May 14, 2017 2:04 am

Yes you can come back from that by adding a bit of planking material to the sides of the bulkead. Not that you will have to.

If you use the curvature of the deck it will give you a bit of a guide as to the amount you need to take of the bullheads in the fairing process.

Just take your time and don't rush

Cheers
Geoff

Santa Maria
Norfolk Sloop Delxue

Aussie048

Post by Aussie048 » Sun May 14, 2017 11:18 pm

Penduick

The best type of file to use for faring the hull is a half round one side and flat on the other side. Looking at the picture I'd say that you need to come to a point along the false keel It would pay to draw a line down the centre of the false keel so you have a guide of where the centre is.

We also need to think about the next job and what tools we need. A glue dropper for PVA. a syringe with a blunt needle is good value. I sit mine in water needle first when not in use so the needle does not dry up. They mentioned superglue for spot gluing as it is a curve deck planking. I don't like pencils for caulking and have been using a Zig painty pen. This is the type I have been using http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Zig-Painty-F ... 5M1kSiHrcQ and the postage is free, I use the side of th pen nib. You need to test the timber that you are using just to make sure it does not bleed into the timber. Also some clamps, something like these https://www.hobbytools.com.au/spring-cl ... pack-of-8/ Masking or painters tape could be used but you will probably need clamps at some stage of the build. A painter scraper blade https://www.bunnings.com.au/craftright- ... t_p5760306 Rubber bands.

Keep the photos coming and take your time.

Cheers
Geoff

Santa Maria
Norfolk Sloop Delxue

Return to “SOS Build Logs from Kits - Wood”