Pen Duick Build Log

This Build Log Section is for Wood Ships. Enter your Build Log here. It is advisable for others to follow your Build Log to start your post such as "Build Log: HMS Ship name"
penduick
Seaman
Seaman

Pen Duick Build Log

Postby penduick » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:28 am

Hi all,

I am new to this. I bought my first wood kid over the weekend - the Pen Duick.
The instructions are rather vague, and I would appreciate some help from experienced people.

Here's what I need help with
1) I got to this stage where I need to put together the 'steersman hatch', but the pieces are too short. I know it is far more likely that I have assembled something wrong than the parts be inaccurate.But I have backtracked my steps and am confident I didn't make a mistake along the way. I have some spare balsa wood that I can cut to the right size but I don't know if that will make something not fit later on. What should I do?

2)The instructions say 'from the bow towards the centre of the hull, very carefully file down the outside surfaces of the decks and stiffeners of the bow, stern and false keel to achieve a good base.' While that may be obvious to some, I am rather confused as to what and how much to file down. Again, any clues?

3) Since the next step seems to start planking, I have been told I need a plank bender. I have seen one that looks like a pair of pliers and one that you plug into the wall. Which one would you recommend, and what other tools will I need moving forward?
Attachments
steersman hatch2.jpg
steersman hatch2.jpg (261.68 KiB) Viewed 255 times
file down.jpg
file down.jpg (216.25 KiB) Viewed 255 times
Last edited by penduick on Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GemmaJF
Petty Officer First Class
Petty Officer First Class

Re: Pen duick - I am stuck!

Postby GemmaJF » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:43 am

penduick wrote:Hi all,

Here's what I need help with
1) I got to this stage where I need to put together the 'steersman hatch', but the pieces are too short. I know it is far more likely that I have assembled something wrong than the parts be inaccurate.But I have backtracked my steps and am confident I didn't make a mistake along the way. I have some spare balsa wood that I can cut to the right size but I don't know if that will make something not fit later on. What should I do?

Have you pictures of your actual parts? Not sure I can visualize the problem

penduick wrote:
2)The instructions say 'from the bow towards the centre of the hull, very carefully file down the outside surfaces of the decks and stiffeners of the bow, stern and false keel to achieve a good base.' While that may be obvious to some, I am rather confused as to what and how much to file down. Again, any clues?

I think this refers to 'fairing' the hull. When you first build the ship there is a square edge to all the bulkheads (stiffeners). One files or sands these edges so that a test plank sits comfortably on them and there is a better contact surface. The 'rule' I came across is use a tool that stretches over at least three bulkheads while doing the fairing work.

penduick wrote:3) Since the next step seems to start planking, I have been told I need a plank bender. I have seen one that looks like a pair of pliers and one that you plug into the wall. Which one would you recommend, and what other tools will I need moving forward?

I use the plier type, but mostly bend by wetting and applying heat with a hairdryer or small aircraft covering iron. Some people recommend the plug in ones. I think either is fine and one just uses whichever they prefer.

I found this a great book when starting out, it answers a lot of the questions I had and gives tips that prevent problems further on in a build. I'm like one step ahead of you building my first ship so much of this stuff is pretty fresh to me also!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Period-Ship-Ki ... 1854862286

I'm sure others will add some guidance too.
Current Build: ZHL Black Pearl 1:50

Next Up: Billing Boats Bounty 1:50

Researching for POB scratch build : HMS Ferret 1:48 (1711)

Projects: Arduino Lighting Project
Aussie048
Petty Officer Second Class

Postby Aussie048 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:54 am

Penduick

First of all I do not like crimping pliers as it is to easy to cut through the planking material

Who is the manufacture.

Do a search on Google for Pen Duick. The YouTube videos are a good way to lean.

Even other ships can give you ideas Here is one from start of build including fairing, planking.m I do not like there use of a tape measure but paper or a think plastic material to get measurements of the bulkhead frames and a steel ruler https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuPjEK-GIZ0

Buy tools as you need them. There is a post that you should have a look at about tools. Have a good read of the Topic. Here is the link viewtopic.php?f=4&p=15676#p15676

Start a full build log and ask pleny of questions

Cheers
Geoff
Current Build Link:-
Mamoli - USS Constitution

On Hold Builds:-
Santa Maria
Norfolk Sloop Delxue

Future Build:-
HMS Triton Section Wood Poseidon section

Ship Modelling Society of Victoria

***Live , Listen and Learn***
Donnie
Senoir Chief Petty Officer

Postby Donnie » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:16 pm

I assume you are referring to parts #30 and #31 ? If you are, are you referring to the "Depth" of the Hatch as being too short, or the "pieces" 30 and 31 being too short?

I am just trying to visualize and help -- :D

ok, after going back and taking another look, if the OPEN boxed area is the steerman hatch, then I see that the "depth" is already set by a "floor" at the bottom of the hatch - and all of this is based on if I am guessing the section 30 and 31 is what we are referring to.
Again, if I am correct in my guess, then I assume that it is the (4) pieces (rectangular box) that the pieces are too short. My next question or concern would be are the pieces for the hatch PRE-CUT or LAZER cut , or do you have to cut them taking the dimensions from the plans ?

Donnie
Current Build Prep: Panart San Felipe 1:75
Completed Build: Santisima Trinidad

Main SOS Site: Ships of Scale Website

No Guts, No Glory !
penduick
Seaman
Seaman

Postby penduick » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:13 pm

Donnie wrote:I assume you are referring to parts #30 and #31 ? If you are, are you referring to the "Depth" of the Hatch as being too short, or the "pieces" 30 and 31 being too short?

I am just trying to visualize and help -- :D

ok, after going back and taking another look, if the OPEN boxed area is the steerman hatch, then I see that the "depth" is already set by a "floor" at the bottom of the hatch - and all of this is based on if I am guessing the section 30 and 31 is what we are referring to.
Again, if I am correct in my guess, then I assume that it is the (4) pieces (rectangular box) that the pieces are too short. My next question or concern would be are the pieces for the hatch PRE-CUT or LAZER cut , or do you have to cut them taking the dimensions from the plans ?

Donnie

The pieces for the hatch are lazer cut (I think? I have to cut tiny bits that join them to the rest of the board, but they come off easily). You are right in that the depth is set by a floor. The issue is more around the width than the depth. I have attached a photo trying to show the issue
parts.jpg
parts.jpg (139.43 KiB) Viewed 212 times
. I have tried different arrangements of the two shorter pieces to no avail. Curiously, if you look at this photo you can see one is intentionally shorter....yet it doesn't work no matter what I try
plans.jpg
plans.jpg (111.49 KiB) Viewed 212 times
. Should I bite the bullet and cut one to a size that does fit?
Aussie048

Re: Pen Duick Build Log

Postby Aussie048 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:13 pm

Penduick

What are the measurements of each piece including the thickness of the material

I notice that there us a check out in part 30 which hint that the shorter part 31 would fit up that end and would be glued to the underneath of the false deck where the rest probably be glued to the edge of the false deck.Is the size of the checkout the same as the thicknoess of the material. Part 17 I presume is the floor of the 'steersman hatch". Also what is the size of the cutout for the 'steersman hatch". Also is there a curvature is the false deck where the 'steersman hatch" fits

Cheers
Geoff
Current Build Link:-
Mamoli - USS Constitution

On Hold Builds:-
Santa Maria
Norfolk Sloop Delxue

Future Build:-
HMS Triton Section Wood Poseidon section

Ship Modelling Society of Victoria

***Live , Listen and Learn***
Donnie

Postby Donnie » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:47 pm

I agree. Cut the pieces yourself and fit them just like the photo. It is most likely a lazer cut error.

No Guts, No Glory !
GaryM

Postby GaryM » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:48 am

I like the Amati plug in heating iron for bending the planks. If you use the plank strip and make it go from front to back of the ship, the frames should be filed so as to get the lay of the plank to fit across each frame smoothly for maximum gluing contact. Unfortunately, unless the kit is designed for an absolute beginner, the instructions are minimum and the manufacturer assumes that you have built a vessel before. Very few companies write any decent instructions no matter what skill level your vessel is.
There is a reference section on this site that list books that will help. Building a good library takes time, but becomes invaluable. There is a lot of good people here that can help youas you have already seen. Welcome to an exciting hobby.
Happy modeling,
Gary Maple

Problems are just challenges waiting for your solution.

Current build: Sergal Sovereign of the Seas
In Que: Sergal: Cutty Sark and Amerigo Vespucci; Billings Titanic
Completed: Amati: HMS Prince (old 1:78 version); Billings: Norske Love and Vasa; Mantua: La Couronne; Sergal: Mississippi Riverboat and La Soleil Royal
penduick
Seaman
Seaman

Postby penduick » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:14 pm

Hi All,

Thank you very much for your help. I will go ahead and cut the bits to the 'steersman hatch' to size.

I still have a pickle with the planks - I effectively don't know how much to file off the skeleton of the ship (apologies for the lack of amateur terminology). And I have a question about the 'tip'? of the ship.

I tried placing a plank on the skeleton, and noticed it sits proud on a number of places. Like this
planks.jpg
planks.jpg (135.97 KiB) Viewed 167 times
. Am I meant to file down the skeleton so the plank sits hard against the skeleton? i.e get rid of the gap? I have had a look at youtube tutorials but I can't find anything that is sufficiently beginner friendly and keeps technical terminology to a minimum.

Also, is this bit ok?
tip.jpg
tip.jpg (188.3 KiB) Viewed 167 times
. Am I meant to file down the skeleton to mimic the thickness of the tip too?

Thanks
Donnie

Postby Donnie » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:24 pm

I have to think on this for a while. It would be nice to have a few extra photos.

No Guts, No Glory !

Return to “SOS Build Logs from Kits - Wood”