Revenge 1577

This Build Log Section is for Wood Ships. Enter your Build Log here. It is advisable for others to follow your Build Log to start your post such as "Build Log: HMS Ship name"
zoly99sask
Petty Officer Second Class

Re: Revenge 1577

Postby zoly99sask » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:24 am

eric61 wrote:Hi Denis, on the hull of the Endeavour I used CA glue on about 98% of the hull, when it came to the second planking, I tried CA glue on them but found that the glue soaked through the strips making the strips even darker, tried all sorts of glues but ended up using PVA. This picture will give you an idea of what CA does to the strips. Look at this link viewtopic.php?f=52&t=718&start=70 ,5 photos down, the dark strip about one third up from the keel was glued down with CA glue, hope this helps you decide which glue to use.

Regards
Eric

Hi Eric,I used CA only on my Santa Maria and on my AVS planking, how did the Ca soaked through the plank? I have never experienced that.
eric61
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Postby eric61 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:29 am

Hi Zoltan, the Sapelle strips that came with the Endeavour kit were quite porous and the CA glue being rather thin created quite a problem. The glue set very quickly and my fingers stuck to the strips then while trying to get my fingers off the strips, the strips broke. I won't go on, it's a comedy of errors.
If I had a denser strip of wood I don't think I would have had that problem. The strips even curved down the length when PVA glue was spread on them.

Regards
Eric
Cook's Endeavour - current,
Sovereign of the Seas - current (deAgostini)
In queue: Marina II Fishing Boat by Artesania Latina
In queue: Mayflower by Model Shipways

"I was thinking then it all went blank!"
DenisR

Postby DenisR » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:42 am

Hi again

Just a photo or two.

Denis.
REVENGE PARTS 40_0038.jpg